Tokyo Olympics Coverage

The doyenne.

2 Likes

He doesn’t even need to jump on Twitter. We’ve got enough on this thread from the Rio, Tokyo and AFL threads which will probably be enough to burst his over inflated ego.

1 Like

When you throw presenters together who do not normally present together you cannot expect instant chemistry.

7’s clearly gone for their new blood for the Olympics. Back in the day you’d have Bruce, Joh and Sandy, and Matt White while he was with 7.

Bruce now focuses on commentary and for some reason Joh gets the morning shift. This is what we’re left with.

1 Like

You need to start introducing new talent though or else you get exposed when those you listed retire!

I wonder what happened to Kylie Gillies? She would’ve been great. Even Jaq Felgate would’ve gone a good job. Bill Woods too is someone who I wish Seven utilised a bit more.

Swimming finals were in the morning which is big TV. Also, Jo was a swimmer so offered some great insights.

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Tokyo Paralympics Coverage

Do we know the Paralympic presenters? Hoping to see Tokyo Shinya return!

1 Like

The AFL is planning to start the 2021 finals on August 27. It could mean some Paralympic coverage in Sydney, Brisbane and Perth may change.

4 Likes

Not gonna lie, this is pretty poor coverage by Seven. I understand it’s the Paralympics but this shows how little they care. No main channel coverage on the weekend and only midday coverage on weekdays. Not even the opening ceremony is covered on the main channel. Poor shit.

From memory it rated pretty bad last time.

Seven can always ramp up the amount of content if viewership increases out of nowhere.

There’s only a fraction of the interest that the Olympics holds.

1 Like

Hamish McLachlan is hardly new blood. He has next to no profile outside the AFL states but with all his experience presenting live football telecasts you’d expect a more polished performance.

They would’ve been better off using people like Kylie Gillies and Mark Baretta as hosts. At least the audience knows who the hell they are. You wouldn’t see Nine using untested talent in prime time for a big sports event they paid millions for.

3 Likes

What more do you want? Coverage all day and plenty of streams of 7Plus.

This main channel bs has got to stop in 2021. 7 would put it on the main channel if they think it would rate…

11 Likes

Yep even back on the ABC the Paralympics barely received main channel coverage.

Live coverage on ABC2 and a 1 hour highlight show on ABC1

Live coverage on ABC2 from 7pm-11pm
Live coverage on ABC1 from 4am - 8:30am and highlights 6-7pm
The coverage was also streamed online

Live coverage from 11pm until 2am on 7two then highlights from 5-7am then live coverage from 7am until 11am
Catch up program from 8:30-11pm nightly on 7two
Coverage also streamed online

5 Likes

There were no live coverage in Perth of the Paralympics on TV when ABC had the rights

I don’t think Andrew was referring to Hamish, think he meant Abbey Gelmi.

Yes I was more so referring to Abbey, and their pairing in prime time.

Of course Joh, Mark, Kylie etc would have been ideal, but they were also ideal 21 years ago. So I suppose they have to evolve at some point. Like it or not Hamish is obviously going to be 7’s ‘new Bruce’.

1 Like

:nauseated_face: :face_vomiting: :sneezing_face: :woozy_face:

Plenty of good presenters out there who would be better than Gillon’s brother. He’s about as likeable as a rotten curry in a pot.

3 Likes

At least for Saturday, main channel coverage isn’t possible due to the start of the Spring Racing Carnival and (if it does get pushed up) the beginning of the AFL Finals.

As I said a few days ago, the weekday afternoon main channel coverage should be longer than 4 hours.

You have rocks in your head if you think coverage limited mostly to 7Two in SD is in any way equitable to the FTA Olympics coverage.

2 Likes

Maybe so… but they are not getting all the prime presenting gigs are they. Hamish is clearly favoured by 7 for whatever reason.