Today

Between Karl and Lisa? I’m confused.

1 Like

No, the boys club back in the day.

1 Like

I see. Thanks.

1 Like

That’s if he had class and professionalism for colleagues. Clearly from this situation they weren’t on the best of terms. Still he could’ve been more professional and told her directly.

No wonder why Georgie despised him.

2 Likes

You say that as if you know it to be fact. Why do you instantly believe it all to be true? I’m not saying Lisa is lying, I’m just interested to know why you believe her without any interest in hearing the other side to the story?

1 Like

Colleagues* not friends. I do agree he could’ve been nicer about it but if he knew she was gonna be sacked soon he’s also in a really awkward position.

Exactly

2 Likes

The matter of fact is even if Karl was to ‘open up’ about this revelation, he would NEVER admit that he was careless or rude about the situation (his ego would never allow for that) so in the end it’s going to look pretty bad for him nevertheless.

1 Like

What do people think about these “tell-all’s”?

I’m not the biggest fan. Why the need to publicly say these stories unless your intent is to dissolve someone’s career? And that doesn’t come across too well for that person either.

I don’t get Lisa’s motivation. It’s sad this, allegedly, happened to her but it’s no one else’s business. Why write a book about it? It’s almost like she’s set out to turn people on Karl (and Nine).

Whilst I don’t particularly like Karl and think David should be the host of Today with Ally, it’s not right. He doesn’t really have the opportunity for a right of reply.

For all we know he’s now contacted Lisa privately and spoken, but we will never know. Nor should we. It’s not our business.

I think it says more about the person writing the tell all than it does the people she’s “exposing”.

2 Likes

What’s that supposed to mean??

1 Like

Just looking back at posts and newspaper headlines from this time in 2017. Funny how all of them went with the narrative that it was Lisa’s choice to leave Nine. You don’t see the word “sacked” in those reports.

Whether she was sacked or walked it is plain for all to see that Lisa was the strength of the partnership and wasn’t getting enough credit for carrying Karl and making the show competitive.

10 Likes

I was going to type that but she actually stated in the article that she considered him as a friend. Perhaps I misread the tone there but whatever.

2 Likes

Today’s gradual rise from the dust can be attributed to Lisa in many ways. She could put up with the crap Karl goes on about and makes him tolerable. Ally does the same these days which is why Today is increasingly competitive.

Conversely. Tracy Grimshaw (who was close to the end of her tenure so probably couldn’t be bothered) and Jess Rowe (we all know what happened there) couldn’t really hide his cracks and Georgie basically split all of his cracks open and exposed his weakness as host.

Clearly Karl’s co-hosts deserve more credit than they get for Today’s rise rather than the focus on Karl all the time.

9 Likes

This is my question too. Lisa has a lot to say about a lot of things of late. Usually very matter of fact. Something I just don’t think this stuff is necessary. Sounds a bit like sour grapes because he didn’t go to the wedding. Big woop.

5 Likes

Taking her perspective at face value. She comes across as honest and has cultivated her image this way. I have no reason to disbelieve her.

3 Likes

Bingo. Quite childish. You did me wrong so I’ll bring you down in the public domain. It’s dirty.

2 Likes

Just something to remember - and it’s not excusing his behaviour at all - Karl was already spiralling with his personal life in tatters and other issues happening. It’s my opinion that he shouldn’t have been allowed on air in that state of mind, but hindsight is a wonderful thing isn’t it.

I’m positive he would be regretting his behaviour in the later stages of their professional relationship.

But they both seem to be in a better place these days personally.

And ultimately that’s what matters.

6 Likes

I like Lisa, she’s been very good to me but I don’t understand the pay parity thing? Karl was being paid for his work on Today as well as 3 other shows. The Verdict, This Time Next Year, 60 mins and he would fill in from time to time on A Current Affair. Karl also was the first person to drop everything and cover numerous stories and I think one time he was on TV covering something for nearly 24 hours. (did he get paid on top of Today or was it a set contract?)

I think Karl probably knew about the demands and what it meant for her (as the network seem to cut her out pretty swiftly) that he knew what was coming and didn’t know how to act like everything was fine. Also on the top of the whole wedding renewal it would have been all about Karl & Jasmine cause the media were all over that. Karl also took a hit for that when he got “fired” himself for 2 years just for getting a divorce.

I hope Lisa’s book sells, I look back on her time fondly with all my Today Show Funny Bits compilations as proof, it wasn’t always bad. Media and particular gossip journalists who had grudges in it towards the hosts had a lot to do with the way things went down. It’s starting to sound even more like “Morning Wars” now lol

Also Australian TV are crazy for not commissioning a fictional show of their own with an Australian skew, it’s so interesting and full of so much drama/comedy.

9 Likes

Well said, @Drew_1981

1 Like

I don’t think Lisa was asking for parity. She wanted her contribution to the success of Today to be recognised with remuneration closer to what Karl was getting, not necessarily the same. Apparently she was aware he was getting paid substantially more than she was.

5 Likes

Ok. I Don’t think that’s unreasonable, if his Today Base salary was for example $2m a year, and Lisa was $1.5m. However his salary is obviously a little more complex and details will never be made public.

2 Likes