Today (2015-Sept 2020)

Weekend Today will be airing from 5:30am Sunday. They say it’s going to finish at 10am as per normal but let’s be honest it’ll be going way over that.

1 Like

Why?

For coverage of Schapelle Corby’s homecoming, I’m guessing. Nine is also promoting that Sunday night’s 6pm news will be a “Special Bulletin” for the same reason.

3 Likes

Seriously? I’ll make sure I leave the telly off on Sunday.

3 Likes

It’s developing like an episode of Frontline. I think they have seriously over-estimated the interest in this story.

8 Likes

Wilkinson should’ve been offered the weekday Sunrise, but given that Mel’s very popular at the time, it probably wasn’t the best time. Having said that, if Chris Reason continued to co-host with Wilkinson instead of AOK, then maybe it would’ve been a bit better, but it’s good for Wilkinson to be there so she can actually keep that tool called AOK in his place.

1 Like

Overall, I think Nine can be extremely proud that the paring of Karl Stefanovic & Lisa Wilkinson has managed to last ten years. It’s also probably safe to say that Today is in a better position now than when Lisa was first pared together with Karl a decade ago.

9 Likes

Same could be said about the entire network compared to the ‘doom-era’ in 2007 when they completely lost the plot and got rid of the dots. But that’s another debate for another time.

1 Like

3 Likes

Delayed into Perth, as is Sunrise.

1 Like

It is simply incredible to observe the media’s obsession over Corby.

The last time she was in the headlines (being released from jail), all I could remember was members of my family and my work colleagues rolling their eyes or groaning whenever her name came up in conversation, on the front page or was a headline on TV. She was big news in the 2000s but I feel this sort of spectacle has worn thin because the last decade has given people the chance to think it over and realise that Schapelle’s story is insignificant in the grand scheme.

3 Likes

Digressing from the Corby saga, today marks officially 10 years to the day since Lisa joined Today. Here is the opener of her debut (thanks to the original uploader):

I must reiterate how glad I am that Nine poached Lisa, who I believe essentially saved the show. An incredible woman and mentor and an exceptional breakfast show co-host. Today simply would not be the same without her.

7 Likes

Not exactly the opener, it’s a mock using an NBC Today show jingle.

5 Likes

There is also a video of her second morning, featuring the original unedited opener. Watch for the WIN cover-up at the end:

http://idents.tv/blog/2007/05/29/the-wilkinson-sword-lands-at-today/

3 Likes

He’s right about the media all looking like idiots.

5 Likes

Was he looking in the mirror :smirk: ?

3 Likes

Funny how Today stll did two live crosses this morning. :joy:

1 Like

Operation make Karl likeable again. The same people who agree to additional coverage of the Corby Crap agree to this editorial.

2 Likes

Just taking the piss out of their own show for what passes for “news” these days.

Karl mocks Nine’s underwhelming ‘royal scoop’
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/karl-mocks-nines-underwhelming-royal-scoop/news-story/7f93707202f31f759145a37748bec837

Lara Vella presenting news this morning.

Lisa said Sylvia was having a day off today.

1 Like