Today (2015-Sept 2020)

It makes sense for them to have their news person to cover major news events, as opposed to one of the hosts. It would seem awkward IMO (and when Mel was on location for Sunrise, it didn’t really feel right anyway).

I think, generally, the idea was for the hosts to cover major stories like what Mel, Kochie, Karl and Lisa have done previously to correlate the big hosts covering their big stories. More recently, as mentioned, both shows have changed to the news presenters covering the big news for two different reasons. IMO, Nat is removed from the studio because I believe she is Pell’s next ‘victim’ whereas Sylvia is appointed this ‘big’ news events (I believe reporting is her strength) to basically make her more popular.

BTW, I swear that Today has ‘special coverage’ every day for trivial stories. It is getting worse than the ‘breaking news’ coverage.

What a load of biased shit. How can the same thing be a positive for Nine and a negative for Seven? :rolling_eyes:

1 Like

In Mel’s final years of being a network identity , she covered all the network’s special coverage. I think when breaking news comes around, Pell lets Nat cover them to allow viewers to familiarise with the Sam/Eddy combo when Nat leaves Sunrise.

Sylvia is considered a star at Nine (whether I agree or not) and for someone in the early stages of their career, big news events indicate big future.

TBH, more importantly, it is probably because the other one does it.

I understand what you’re saying. I just call bullshit on you’re interpretation of what is happening. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Today won its first overnight ratings for the year yesterday.

2 Likes

[quote=“TV.Cynic, post:1252, topic:101, full:true”]
Today won its first overnight ratings for the year yesterday.
[/quote] Finally. Was it a tight or easy win?

[quote=“nationalnews, post:1253, topic:101, full:true”]

1 Like

Jayne Azzopardi is back presenting news this weekend,Deb reading weather report.

1 Like

Sophie Walsh presenting weather and Tom reading sport this morning.

4 Likes

Deb Knight reading news with Sylvia co-hosting with Lisa,while Karl is away for the rest of the week filming his new show ‘This Time Next Year’.

2 Likes

FYI: As of last Wednesday, the 7am opener now starts with a wideshot of the team as they discuss what is coming up and then one of the hosts says “But making news…” as the camera pans in.

1 Like

Tim Gilbert co-hosting with Lisa this morning, with Sylvia on location in Melbourne and Deb Knight in the studio reading the rest of today’s news.

3 Likes

Filming This Time Next Year or damage control after he publicy revealed his new girlfriend?

Didn’t like Tim Co-hosting.

1 Like

@Tom_TV7

1 Like

Over to Sunrise for me. Never liked Tim Gilbert and not about to start liking him now.

2 Likes

Today’s chopping and changing all the time will affect the ratings more, IMO, than to have the ‘toxic’ Karl present.

Coincidence or not, the night before Married at First Sight beat MKR (IIRC). To me, it seems Nine’s evening woes are affecting the morning ratings.

1 Like

Coincidence or not, the night before Married at First Sight beat MKR (IIRC). To me, it seems Nine’s evening woes are affecting the morning ratings.
[/quote]

Today won Tuesday 14 Feb but it wasn’t until that (Valentine’s) night that Married beat MKR.

1 Like

Seems like all the papers are having a go at him. Here’s Annette Sharp’s latest stab at a breakfast show host.

Karl’s love cruise sinks Nice Guy image
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/sydney-confidential/annette-sharp-karls-love-boat-cruise-sinks-his-nice-guy-image/news-story/ce44c382a8c33d143f6a17b710ff0d7d