Today (2015-Sept 2020)

Did he actually say that? Or is it fake news again?

From The Australian

“This is a thing that takes many years to establish, a new show, and a new format and a new crew,’’ Mr Marks told The Australian.

A couple of agencies that The Australian contacted for the report didn’t seem to agree.

Julian Townley, the chief executive and founder of creative agency Redengine SCC, said the show’s fresh on-air team, headed by Gardner and Knight, lacked the journalistic breadth and depth that former co-hosts Stefanovic and Lisa Wilkinson brought to the program.

Mr Townley said Nine needed to make changes before the show’s ratings slipped any further.

“If you’re going to fail, fail fast. Adapt and get on with it,’’ he said.

And

Fusion Strategy media analyst Steve Allen said Nine had yet to ­“decide on a strategy, a strategic direction”.

“They have not done this, in our view. More of the same and Sunrise will beat them on this: establish­ed line-up, established format, established hosts and cash give­aways,” Mr Allen said.

3 Likes

It is obvious that he does not watch the show.

1 Like

I just watched an old bloopers reel. Karl - what a laugh. So much like Paul Henry, took TVNZ Breakfast years after they gave him the boot to recover in the ratings . Only for him to join the opposition brekky show and gain traction there… There’s an idea !
All I could think watching it was , no wonder the ratings are down - they axed life of the party!

3 Likes

:+1:

6 Likes

Corey Norris is presenting sport from Melbourne again this weekend.

1 Like

It won’t matter what Deb Knight, GG, 9 execs or anyone else says about all this. NewsCorpse and anonymous “insiders” know better, and mere facts won’t persuade all those who’ve already made up their minds.

1 Like

There’s some new changes on their bio on the Today website

2 Likes

Today dropped to their lowest ratings ever recorded yesterday.
Over 130k behind Sunrise. 5 city metro.
National figures: a 94% margin.

2 Likes

Not helped by damaging media reports.

Now, The Daily Telegraph has actually apologised and withdrawn their claims which were proven wrong.

3 Likes

Page 3

7 Likes

Are they doing a Channel 10 thing and trying to rebrand the way people write the network name? NINE in all caps? Or have I just completely missed this?

Does Deb do 6 days a week?

Yes…

what a disgrace, The Daily Telethrash.

1 Like
2 Likes

That article makes a very good point I think.

While I’m still don’t think Nine has the right mix of presenters (especially if they want to truly appeal to a national audience rather than just a Sydney/East Coast audience) or content for Today, hitting the panic button after five or six weeks would not be the right thing to do.

Completely exiting the breakfast TV market will never be an option for Nine either, the experience with Ten shows that once you leave there’s no turning back especially when you’re trying to re-enter a market you haven’t been in for two decades or so.

1 Like

The one thing that the article really failed to address imo, is the fact that when Lisa started she joined a show that was really “scandal” free and it had little media attention compared to now. Georgie and Deb have come into the show at a tough time and worse than it was when Lisa came in.

So to say that shows take their time to build audiences is somewhat correct but when the show and its presenters face continual media scrutiny and have viewers commenting how they want ‘certain presenters’ back they are in a far worse position. Its basically a fractured family that has gone through a divorce and people aren’t responding well.

2 Likes

The show did have its scandals (boning of Jess Rowe, myriad of co-hosts), but you are right not the extend of now.

I really hope Nine give both Deb and Georgie a chance.

6 Likes

Brooke Boney and Richard Wilkins are in LA. They will be at Dolby Theatre in Hollywood for the glamor and action in the 91st Academy Awards.

2 Likes