Today (2015-Sept 2020)

You’re making it sound like there is an extra 2 million + viewers out there which havent been included in the ratings… which is not the case and even if it was I can guarantee that ratings of Today would still be low

well i just feel like its us v them ie metro vs regional and no one caere whats regionals think

1 Like

regional markets get measured too

Plus it would be a pointless investment when the country has a bigger fish to fry than caring about TV ratings.

the networks would be the ones who would have to make the investment but there is no gain to be made from it, so why would they.

You’re right. But my point still stands, it’s pointless.

Ratings are of course not completely accurate, but they are the best measurement for the popularity of a program. I would say that it’s a good measurement for advertisers as well. OzTam would probably do it in a very strategic way in an attempt to represent a wide variety of people.

1 Like

yes i know they do but atm since media spy only has oz tam then we wouldnt know the ratings for regional australia sunrise vs today i know the today ratings would be low but would it be better if we could combined them???

Mediaweek and Mumbrella sometimes have the national (OzTAM and Regional TAM) ratings for Today and Sunrise, and Mediaweek has the overall Regional TAM ratings every day. National ratings are also sometimes reported by the SMH and The Australian.

I agree. All ratings systems have their flaws, but they have to be accurate enough otherwise the networks and their advertisers wouldn’t make strategic decisions based on them.

Mind you with there frequently being criticism about the Australian media being “too white” and not being entirely reflective of the wider population I often wonder whether the OzTam ratings system would be much the same, particularly in obviously multicultural cities like Sydney & Melbourne.

2 Likes

Networks also put them in their press releases sometimes too… gives their numbers a bit of a boost when spruiking themselves :stuck_out_tongue:

Breaking News supers:

They still use the theme box graphics in place of the weather ticker sometimes:

3 Likes

What Do You Think of those theme box graphics?

That was the first breakfast show with 2 female hosts :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wake Up had two female hosts (for a short while, at least) :wink:

3 Likes

Today’s supers package is all over the place and inconsistent, with some refinements it could be quite good.

Another sub 200,000 result for Today yesterday (just) with Sunrise 70,000 ahead. Today won Sydney but the Melbourne and Brisbane numbers are way down.

2 Likes

So TJ is at a random oval in Melbourne presenting sport. I like TJ, he’s quite good and would be good on the show full time. However, the whole sports situation is messy.

2 Likes

Still don’t understand why they let Tim go

1 Like

Because the show wasn’t particularly doing any better with him there. Not to mention, all this fawning and love we’ve seen for Timmy was never voiced until the decision was made to dump him. He was always the weakest link of that era imo.

Just a few reasons I can think of.

6 Likes