Today (2015-Sept 2020)

So what’s Crawford’s new role on TODAY?

Who?

1 Like

He didn’t/doesn’t have one. Shane Crawford recently quit Nine to be a contestant on I’m a Celebrity on Ten

Shane Crawford - former AFL player and ex AFL Footy Show panelist

Yeah that makes sense but what has that got to do with Today, particularly since he’s left Nine?

Rumour was that Today wanted Crawford for the sports presenter gig instead of TJ

1 Like

The Courier Mail revealed it on the Sunday before the relaunch. Though, I wouldn’t say it was widely known or spoken of, as it was omitted from the press release.

The fact he is replacing Natalia permanently wasn’t mentioned.

In the TV Blackbox article above, Eddie McGuire told his radio listeners that Crawford will join the team later in the year.

1 Like

OK but I think the member who mentioned Crawford was talking about a new role on Today, when there wasn’t any since TJ took over and Crawford went into the jungle.

Nevertheless he would’ve been an awful presenter anyway. Tony is alright.

Are the weekend crew gonna be in Studio 22

Georgie, Deb and Tom read the headlines in the 7am opener today. :man_shrugging:

Tony started later (6.30am) today.

1 Like

Another bad ratings number yesterday below 200,000. Lowest of the year and lower than any number last year which would make it the lowest result for 12 years. Still a long way to go.

Update: report that Nine had claimed an error was made in coding the show for OzTAM and the rating was +200k about 40,000 below Sunrise - that is on par with results for the rest of the week.

8 Likes

Sounds like they’ve gotten cold feet on the all female presenting team already. Hope Tom has demanded a salary bump if he’s doing more than just newsreading.

2 Likes

Today still managed to win Sydney yesterday but was beaten by ABC News Breakfast in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth.

3 Likes

Yikes - it’s definitely going to be a long road ahead for the show to rebuild & recover from the past few years

4 Likes

…and people still think it’s crazy to say that the mix of presenters on Today is too Sydney-centric for a national audience?!

Today has been live in to Brisbane and Adelaide, though, for the past two weeks. Hence, the coding error.

Don’t know what that means - the show is still split into multiple time period so for example there is still a 7am-9am segment for Brisbane and Adelaide as usual.

However, Nine are saying that there as some coding error yesterday with the show rating over the 200,000 mark, about 40k lower than Sunrise.

Well it is not a fair comparision- content is different. I know they can still do a 7am-9am block though.

I don’t see that the content would be that different. But if there is something about the content that might lower numbers it should be offset by being live; that should give Today a big advantage.

Either way, it doesn’t hide the fact that the numbers are still well below previous years. Today has a lot of rebuilding to do.

No. Using Brisbane as an example:

Sunrise is airing their 7am block delayed to the market at 7am local time. This 30 minute block at 7am (for both shows) is heavily focused on news and feature interviews; specifically designed for the start of the ratings block. It has the greatest appeal and will bring the average metro figures up significantly for each show.

Whereas, over on Today, they have moved into their 8am AEDST block (7am local time) which is lighter with more consumer and entertainment news (same content on both shows after 8am AEDST ).

So, quite the contrary to being advantageous for Today. Viewers will pick news over lifestyle at 7am, even if they are being misled that the news is live.