Today (2015-Sept 2020)

I really like the split screen, there’s no more hiding now for reporters to be reading their notes whilst video graphics is on.

Also, Jess Milward reporting from Sydney and Tim Arvier from Brisbane.

I’m a Sydney viewer but I’m actually liking Tony Jones. He’s a got a good banter with the team.

3 Likes

More caps:

8 Likes

Special guest Hitch! I missed it :frowning:

@Andrew don’t worry too much. They hate it because it’s on Seven. If it’s on Nine or 10 they would be gushing out praise after praise. Having said that, Seven probably wished that they made Kochie retire early so that Sam and Nat can jump the gun and host together before GG and Deb.

As for the relaunch, it’s ‘alright’ at best. I like how the supers are much smaller and less obstrusive and the desk (not suitable for five) but that’s where it ends. Still not a fan of the square logo (looks hideous), graphics are inconsistent (white on blue in some, blue on white in others), Breaking News looks awful (the breaking news banner on top is barely readable) and transitions look cheap. It’s very rushed together.

5/10

1 Like

Scott Morrison on Sunrise 30 mins before he appeared on Today. NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian on Sunrise an hour earlier than Today. Sigh.

No content changes so far BTW, which is a shame- Your Money and “Cruise Holiday Deals” featuring after the 7.30 news and entertainment.

I think size of the headline is perfect in breaking news mode. Maybe add a flipper/ticker.

Media spy users freak out over a sneak peak or a leak of new graphic design. Said new design is universally criticised, users with all their experience says the whole show needs a redo and the producers have no idea what their doing.

New graphics premier as they were supposed to, users see graphics animate and see the full package. Users conclude it’s actually pretty good.

Rinse and repeat every 12 months or so across each network. :sleeping:

2 Likes

I was probably the only one who thought the graphics look pretty boring from the preview and the actual look :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Didn’t take long for News Corp to pass judgement. Negative review published online already claiming viewers have “savaged” the show on social media. I’m sure we’ll see something positive at smh.com.au.

Tony Jones bailed early. Currently doing Mitchell’s 3AW morning show. So much for promoting a cohesive team.

3 Likes

So they have the newsreader spruiking cruise holiday deals?

Face palm.

4 Likes

Richard apppeared at 8.20 for a live interview with actor Luke Bracey. Wilkins also heading the musical performances.

Tim used to finish after 7.30 so I assume Tony will do the same. Tom read 7.30 sport.

I spoke a little soon. The 8am block featured one feature news story but will likely change once they drop the extra hour.

A lot of Melbourne reports in the news too.

1 Like

This looked strange every time the strip shrank for some aspects of the news. Looked inconsistent.

3 Likes

Graphics and in particularly the logo, look like a bad mock.

3 Likes

I thoroughly enjoy Sunrise, I just don’t enjoy Sam Armytage thank you very much.

2 Likes

Same here. She used to be great with AOK but she just isn’t authoritative enough to carry the show like Mel Doyle.

The comment wasn’t directed at you and it wasn’t an attempt of me trying to gain attention, it’s just pointing out that some members (excluding you) have real biased looks on things. Too common unfortunately these days.

All good.

Sorry for double posting. I think the whole vibe from the team is pretty good this morning, as good as (if not better) Sunrise’s team. Georgie seems much more loosened and engaged in banter. Compare to last year where there was a lot of dead air and awkwardness, great move in the right direction IMO.

2 Likes

Completely agree. That’s why I think AOK would have been the likely replacement for Kochie next to Sam. She’s definitely missing the it factor that in different ways Georgie, Lisa and Mel have. Nat would instantly help her there.

Also, this morning makes me believe that there was some truth to Georgie’s disdain for Karl. She genuinely is better to watch not sitting next to him.

2 Likes

Yes. She’s missing the warm factor that ultimately allowed Mel, Nat, Lisa, Georgie and even Deb to be universally liked in the industry.

Back to Today. I’m curious to see if the five person seating arrangement remains when they head back to Sydney. It looks alright on screen but it’s probably not suitable in the long term, visually.

Well considering TJ lives in Melbourne I doubt that it’ll happen

Peter Hitchener returned from holidays today and appeared on Today this morning.

6 Likes