Today (2015-Sept 2020)

Spot the spelling mistake!

Effected should affected.

1 Like

It should have been Lost as this is in past tense.

Itā€™s bad enough when he presents Sydney 6pm bulletins but breakfast TV? Good lord, Mark Burrows has the potential to put viewers back to sleep at that time of day!

In the extremely unlikely chance that any of Darren Wick, Mark Calvert & Simon Hobbs are reading: Mark Burrows really needs to stick to what heā€™s best at - reporting.

Now this wouldā€™ve been interesting to see!

3 Likes

Sunday -
Mike Dalton presented weather.

1 Like

Not the weather, but a sample.

1 Like

I wish theyā€™d fix the set. Even the backdrop. Make it a live shot of somewhere (like NBC Today). It looks so much more appealing to the eye. I donā€™t know why Oz canā€™t do it more.

(And it can be any city. I donā€™t think people will care that much will they?).

8 Likes

I agree. I love the background used on NBC Today. Something like that would be great, even though they donā€™t have a street side studio. It just looks better and moreā€¦alive

2 Likes

Exactly, it could be Sydney but instead of the camera showing the harbour bridge or opera house it could be Circular Quay showing the morning commute and waters like the picture below (excuse the quality). image

4 Likes

I like it.

Although Melbs could be a point of difference to Sunrise :thinking:

3 Likes

Or perhaps they could have localised backdrops (similar to regional news)?

And as the ratings continue to plummet they can be comforted that ā€œat least we changed the backdropā€. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

It was just a point of what Iā€™d like to see. I didnt say it with the intention it would improve everything.

Damn Gina. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I donā€™t think making the show even more Sydney centric would help.

2 Likes

Now thatā€™s just unexceptable.

3 Likes

This probably shouldā€™ve been mentioned earlier, but despite this yearā€™s ratings for Today I actually wouldnā€™t be overly surprised if Nine tries to keep their breakfast show (and all their Sydney-based news & current affairs programs, if Iā€™m being honest) as stable as they can for 2019, opting instead to go all out with something big in 2020 when the move from Willoughby to North Sydney happens.

I agree.

The three US network breakfast shows are all blatantly New York City, but does anyone complain? Though of course most stations that take those shows have local breakfast shows airing beforehand.

1 Like

No they donā€™tā€¦ but itā€™s different here.

Thereā€™s also national network news in the US in the early evening and no one would suggest doing that here.

Itā€™s a different country and a different culture with a different history.

You could do as you suggest but youā€™d be risking backlash at worst, antipathy at best and frankly why would you go out of your way to piss off part of your audience?

Melbourne in particular reacts badly to any hint that Sydney is governing their TV lives (radio too).

4 Likes

There is a very lengthy article in The Australian about Today and Karl Stefanovic, focussing on comments about the ā€œKarl Conundrumā€ of whether he will stay or go made by attendees at the 60 Minutes 40th anniversary party last week at which Stefanovic was a notable no-show, advice from former Nine journalist Ray Martin, and positive spin from Nine news head Darren Wick who again confirms that Stefanovic will not be replaced next year.

The ratings chart in The Australian comparing the three breakfast shows paints a bleak picture for Today. One aspect I found interesting is that in Sydney, Today has dropped around 15,000 viewers on average from 2017 to 2018 while Sunrise has dropped a couple of thousand but Today is still leading, and News Breakfast is steady. Overall there has been a turnoff in the total average audience watching the three shows in Sydney. There were also combined audience declines in the four other capitals, and all three shows went down in audience year-to-year across the board except for News Breakfast in Melbourne, where they had a good increase, and in Perth where they were steady.

Today not only has a fight against Sunrise and News Breakfast, they also have a fight enticing people to actually switch on their televisions in the morning.

4 Likes

Monday -
Deb Knight is reading news this morning.

2 Likes