Today (2015-Sept 2020)

It basically questioned the futures of Karl Stefanovic & Mark Calvert.

For what it’s worth, I personally think both Stefanovic brothers and Mark Calvert (along with his TV presenter wife who has a reasonably high profile here in Sydney - Sophie is far more talented IMO) need to take a break from the media, although Annette Sharp is still an absolutely terrible “journalist” IMO!

1 Like

Monday -
Deb Knight co-hosting with Karl and Christine Ahern is presenting sport.

Sylvia is back reading news with Natalia back on location for the weather this week. Deb mentioned that Georgie is having a holiday .

3 Likes

It claims that Mark Calvert has been so completely enamoured with party boy Karl Stefanovic that Stefanovic gets away with doing whatever he wants at the expense of everyone else. Neil Breen was also under Stefanovic’s spell it claimed, until complaints from the other hosts forced Breen out.

1 Like

just the usual shit from the woman who whinges constantly about bullies but neglects, or can’t work out, that she’s one of media’s biggest bullies herself.

1 Like

Below 200,000 viewers for Monday but they did manage to win in one city:

https://twitter.com/MediaweekAUS/status/1046674875392446464

Surely they have to do something now, even if they were intending to relaunch in the new year. Imagine how low the summer figures will be!

Hopefully we get some changes this week whilst Mark Calvert is on holidays.

2 Likes

Five digit result in Adelaide :open_mouth:

1 Like

You keep saying “they have to do something” but what do you think they need to do?

Michael Buble has a good relationship with the show and Wilkins so how does Sunrise get him? The location? Publicist?

2 Likes

Do you really want to know what I would/think they should do?

YES PLEASE!

Good relationship with the show/entertainment presenter =/= guaranteed appearance.

Well, yes. It would be an improvement on constantly saying they need to do something about one news program or another.

1 Like

To keep things on topic, a separate thread:

Deb is definitely showing this week that she would have been a better choice than Georgie for the Today hosting role.

2 Likes

Agree. Deb Knight is great, she deserves a hosting role.

2 Likes

As much as I agree that Deborah Knight would probably make a good co-presenter of Today (she really should’ve replaced GG as the newsreader on Today in mid-2014 instead of Sylvia), let’s all keep in mind what her current regular presenting role within the network is.

Even the weekend (or Friday/Saturday night as the case is here) 6pm bulletins need some form of stability in a market like Sydney, which is why Nine stuck with Georgie Gardner as their 2nd in-line Sydney newsreader for something like eight or nine years while Seven News Sydney had four 2nd in-line readers during that time.

3 Likes

A fair point here…

I wonder if Lisa is “worth” the $2 million now?

4 Likes

The Sunday Project’s disasterous ratings would suggest she’s nowhere near it, at present. Let’s see what Upfronts brings though.

2 Likes

She’s not being paid that by Ten and we don’t even know that she was demanding that exact amount for Today. She was asking for pay parity with Karl for her work on Today.

If anything, what we have seen proven now is how valuable she was to the show.

5 Likes

When Today’s ratings have plummeted since her departure, when your brand is tarnished by constant daily headlines, when your market research indicates that her co-host is the problem not her, when she creates headlines through powerful and inspirational editorial pieces, when she has a connection to your competitor’s viewers through an ability to attract them, when she contributes (she must have given the current vibe) to the daily production of the program, I think Lisa at least deserves equal pay.

@Richo What about Today’s disastrous ratings? The polarising, brand-damaging journalist will still receive his mighty pay-packet at the end of the day despite Today suffering some of its worst ratings whilst he has been at the helm (yet Jessica Rowe, Lisa Wilkinson and Georgie Gardner are to blame?)

Revenge is bitter sweet.

5 Likes

I honestly think we may never know the full story about the Lisa Wilkinson debacle. Wanting to get a better deal on her pay was likely one of the reasons Lisa defected but there’s also the fact she was presenting breakfast TV for ten years because 2.30am/3am starts five days a week can take their toll after a while, especially when the person you’re sitting next to on a regular basis is Karl Stefanovic! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Although since Lisa seems to be quite happy at The Project, I’m happy for her.

Or Sarah Murdoch? She probably doesn’t get enough credit for keeping Today afloat between Jessica Rowe ending her association with the show and Lisa Wilkinson joining Nine.

4 Likes