Today (2015-Sept 2020)

Sylvia is in Budapest.

3 Likes

Most of the regional reporters would struggle to make it through a live cross, nine has to protect the brand. If they let any other regional reporter mumble, and stutter the way though a live cross they will loose credibility. The other day a North Queensland local reporter did a live cross into the 7am today snow news and it was the most awkward pointless, repetitive cross ever and struggled to string sentences together. Thats why nine doesn’t often use local reporters.

If regional reporters mumbling and struggling through a live cross is such a big issue for Nine, then why not get them doing a few test/practice live crosses (which obviously wouldn’t go to air) before throwing them in the deep end on metropolitan/national news programs? Many of these regional reporters are likely hoping to eventually move onto bigger and better things, so you’ve got to allow them to build some experience in their current positions through live crosses if they’re to ever have a chance of making it in any metropolitan TV market.

Aside from that, I agree with @NQCQTV2 by saying that significant regional stories (and as a result, their reporters) worthy of national coverage deserve airtime on Today for the same reason interesting news from Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane or Canberra does. Do we really need to see even more cases of Nine Sydney reporters travelling to Regional NSW (sorry, but snow in the Central West or a vicious dog attack in Newcastle is not big enough news to send a TCN reporter over for) to cover relatively minor news stories that would probably be covered just as good if not better by Nine regional/NBN reporters? I think not!

I’ve no doubt they would have been trained, but there’s a lot of difference when you know it’s not going to ever air compared to knowing it’s live across the country.

2 Likes

The nine local reporters are local reporters. They should be happy that they get the off-chance to do a live cross. Most local reporters (prime, win etc) could never dream of that. We shouldn’t forget that some of these reporters are a few years out of uni, some are still in uni and live crosses would be very difficult. Try doing a live report across the country down a barrel with no autocue. It’s hard. Also local reporters are very very green in most cases, having an experienced story teller with a proper on-air voice from a metro market or TCN is required on most cases.

TCN reporters get sent to any story that the news director deems big enough. That how nine works, it even applies to Perth, Melbourne and Brisbane.

Anywhere, for that matter a TCN reporter gets sent out.

Sunday Tele story (paywall) Karl Stefanovic, pictured with co-host Georgie Gardner, will “likely” be replaced next year, top-level sources have revealed to The Sunday Telegraph.

https://myaccount.news.com.au/sites/dailytelegraph/subscribe.html?sourceCode=DTWEB_MRE170_a_GGL&mode=premium&dest=https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/sydney-confidential/toplevel-sources-reveal-today-host-karl-stefanovic-will-likely-be-replaced-next-year/news-story/5b726d87e1aaf2149ef2d87850ef781d&memtype=anonymous

• according to others close to the situation, may also see Today executive producer Mark Calvert bumped from his job in favour of an “engine room makeover”.

• Nine chief Hugh Marks tipped to move Stefanovic on this week — a move which one insider says has been on the agenda for several weeks.

• Today Extra host David Campbell said to be at the top of a list that also includes Today fill-in host Ben Fordham and Adelaide outsider Brenton Ragless.

5 Likes

You missed pointing out the denials from Calvert and Stefanovic’s manager. :smiley:

1 Like

Tipping 30 new posts in this thread before the evening lol

I’d like to see Ben Fordham take the top job.

2 Likes

Daily Mail have copied the Sunday Telegraph article. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-6196509/Karl-Stefanovic-axed-Today-Claims-Nine-sources-say-officially-gone.html

Who should replace Karl?

• Ben Fordham
  • David Campbell
  • Deb Knight
  • Brenton Ragless
  • Other

0 voters

Sunday -
Lauren Tomasi presenting weather from the Royal Melbourne Show this morning.

3 Likes

If Karl is to be replaced, I think there should be one obvious candidate they should poach… back. Lisa Wilkinson and Georgie would really well during their stints together- great banter, professional and easy to watch. Sunrise is bound to appoint a female-duo when Kochie retires, it is just a matter of getting in first and promoting the hell out of it. The only limit to this would be to actually get Lisa to return; you would have to give her editorial control over the show (certainly not a bad thing given her experience), maybe feature stories on 60 Minutes and, with Karl’s salary out of the way, you can raise her pay. I found this in my archives, what I believe to be the last time this fine duo co-hosted together:

The suggestion that David Campbell is the leading candidate for Karl’s replacement is rather interesting. Given he has no news experience, I question this 'insider’s creditability, however Weekend Sunrise managed with AOK for 12 years. Unlike Karl, David is a smart thinker; left wing and witty which Australian TV lacks at the moment. He is a good interviewer, great at debating hot topics and would work well with Georgie. Of the above suggested successors, David would probably be the only one who would work (and the only way I would continue to watch).

Certainly not a bad idea, given his tenure has brought about a strange vibe. There are a lot of young producers on Today that could inject fresh blood/ideas into this rather stale show. Some have international experience (including time with GMA), experience as EP or supervising the weekend show. It is just a matter of making the change.

Lauren used to do the snow reporters from Perisher right? She did a great job this weekend, another young talent.

2 Likes

There is one great producer, Matt Russel, he took over the weekend today show. He would bring some much to the show it would be a great refresh. He was able to bring up the weekend today’s numbers. I think he would be the front runner as the new EP. He would be fantastic.

4 Likes

What? I’d argue Weekend Today is a bigger mess than the main show. Peter is just awful and the 3 person show is very messy, not to mention the cheap set and presentation.

5 Likes

I think Nine will go all female.

Georgie Gardner and Tracy Grimshaw would be formidable!

Unlikely… but they’ve got to do something different.

3 Likes

Yeah because wouldn’t you wanna go back to the workplace that you don’t really like because of more money?

she left (and probably took a bit of a pay cut) to defect to ten, apart from money (since that theory doesn’t work in this case) what possible reason does she have to return?

this is a weird fantasy to have her back, especially since she’s ‘happy’ being at the project.

dual female presenters would be a good idea, but you’d need someone fresh to attract new viewers. Everyone in this thread has posted about 9 personalities going to another 9 show. if they wanna be number one, the logical thing is to get someone from sunrise or 7 news to draw their ‘followers’ to the today show. most people my age and even a bit older think today and sunrise are polished turds, and if you wanna change that perception, you gotta do something big to turn it from shit to choccy cake.

TV used to groom people to keep the show/network alive, now all they’re doing is recycling the same old people.

2 Likes

We need to acknowledge that ratings have been low ever since Sunrise came into the market. I feel most on here are acting like the ratings have just dropped in one day.

They have always been low and I just think it’s because of the whole dynamic of the show (and Karl) but don’t even know if the presenters will impact anything… everyone thought Georgie would boost them but it didn’t.

I voted for Brenton Ragless because Today really needs to break up their NSW/QLD-centricness a bit with presenters from different states if they’re to truly appeal to a national audience. With Sunrise (along with most programs on Channel Seven) likely dominating the ratings in Adelaide, Today would probably benefit from having a South Australian on the team.

Deborah Knight is the best of the Sydneysiders, but I really don’t want her to move on from her current position as 2nd in-line presenter of Nine News Sydney after only one year. That role needs stability, not Mark Burrows!

As a Today co-presenter, I think Ben Fordham (who I personally associate way more with 2GB and their notoriously editorial broadcasting rather than the Nine Network) has the potential to be almost as bad as Karl Stefanovic or maybe even worse. Having Ben & Georgie as the co-presenters would be a massive turn off for anyone outside of NSW, I think.

And again, I agree that the best people for the job should be given top priority but when you’re running a national breakfast show you need to include a mix of content & presenters that appeals to a national audiences - not just Sydneysiders. If someone who was born, raised and still lives in Nine Network-loving Sydney can tell you this, Media Spy members from other states (particularly markets where Nine struggles in the ratings) probably should be drilling it into your brain!