Today (2015-Sept 2020)

I think Nine would care more about the demos. Is Today still winning demos/early etc?

In 25-54 Sunrise ranked 24th. Today was 34th. Haven’t got any early numbers.

1 Like

Well that’s surely going to raise the alarm bells at TCN. Today used to be a clear winner at demos but languishing behind Sunrise even in demos, that’s surely got to be really concerning.

Quite ironic at a time when Nine is dominating primetime while breakfast is slowly dying. Quite reminiscent of Sunrise back in early 2016.

1 Like

And it isn’t just a one morning result that is concerning; it’s been coming - just yesterday I noted that Today has averaged around 50,000 less than Sunrise for the last 6 weeks - when talking about shows that only have 200-300,000 viewers, 50,000 is a big 20% difference.

2 Likes

Good opportunity for another commercial network to jump into the mix with a clear cut morning news bulletin with so many viewers obviously dropping away from The Today Show.

3 Likes

WIN has already done that. :smiley:

The Today Show’s worst audience in more than a decade yesterday according to TVT, relating it to Jess Rowe’s disastrous 2006.

We can officially start the guessing game now as to what Nine execs are going to do. For mine:

Nothing can not be done and as Karl is untouchable, sorry Georgie that’s you. And she’d be seen higher in Nine ranks than Deb Knight (surely?)

So could Deb really be sacked / dropped or whatever… By a second network :disappointed: That poor lady. Harsh but that’s my tip.

That doesn’t make sense - why should Deb be thrown under the bus when she isn’t a full time member of the show?

4 Likes

Yes. Doesn’t make sense.

Wow those are disatrous ratings. Something needs to be done. Like we had hoped at the beginning of this year, hopefully next year they actually change the format up and become more newsie.

Aim for a point of difference. Change up the presenters. Relocate to another city (Melbourne). Broadcast from the news studio.

3 Likes

I don’t know about that. I have a feeling Karl has wanted to quit for a while now but the Nine execs have wanted him to stay. There’s been a lot of talk about Karl not wanting to be there and phoning in his performance, which is affecting ratings. Maybe the execs will take note of this.

Funny thing happened last week with Fitzy and Wippa. They did a phoner segment with Tim Blackwell, who was on the set of Today. Tim put Karl on the phone and they had a chat. Fitzy said Karl probably needs to get back to hosting and Karl made a joke about not actually doing any work that day anyway. Fitzy jokingly said that this had been the case for the last six months and Karl just laughed out loud. :laughing: They are all mates and I think there was a lot of truth in that, which sounded like Fitzy let slip.

3 Likes

nine needs to let him go and go asap otherwise it will forever trail sunrise

Sorry if it wasn’t clear, I was referring to Nine News which she presents does she not? And hence Georgie retuning after getting the dump in place of someone else on Today. Just one theory.

That would be like shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic.

2 Likes

As I’ve said before, one of the biggest problems with Today is that it’s a mostly NSW/QLD-centric w***fest as far as presenters are concerned. That’s gotta be a turn-off for viewers in Victoria, for example.

For all the faults of Sunrise (and there are very many these days), one of the things they do quite well is having a mix of presenters that most states can connect to.

If Nine really are stupid enough to shaft Deborah Knight for a third time (first was overlooking her as GG’s successor of Today newsreader in favour of Sylvia, 2nd was the axing of Financial Review Sunday), I reckon Ten would try and do another Lisa Wilkinson/Jennifer Keyte by very quickly trying to get her back to their network!

And yes I know Ten let go of Deborah Knight years ago, but they’re under different management now and I highly doubt she’d continually hold a grudge against Ten if they were to come up to Deb and give her a better offer than Nine are providing now.

Yes, Deborah Knight currently presents the Friday & Saturday night editions of Nine News Sydney. I think she may also do some fill-in presenting on Today or Today Extra from time to time, but don’t quote me on that.

Granted that Georgie’s been at the network for longer, but Deb isn’t exactly an unpopular presenter on Nine News Sydney (absolutely smashing Fergo in the ratings when she filled in for both Pete & GG during one of the Origin weeks last year IIRC) so I’d imagine Darren Wick & Simon Hobbs would take that into account.

I reckon Ten might be secretly waiting for the ratings to drop a bit further and then launch a competing breakfast show.
I can’t see Deb leaving the network though, she’s been very loyal to Nine over the past few years.

4 Likes

Me either she has proven to Nine she is a versatile presenter and l believe she will remain at Nine.

2 Likes

Even if Georgie was pushed or leaves Today on her own accord it doesn’t necessarily mean she will return to her former role (which many members here would love to see) on Nine News pushing Deb aside.

2 Likes

Eek. I am actually surprised that it has taken this long for them to even consider making changes!

Whilst I know News Breakfast is the only breakfast show whose ratings have increased year on year, most of Today’s viewers have fled to Sunrise. This indicates that Today needs to consider more entertainment and tabloid news (Sunrise’s 6am news was much worse-stories that were irrelevant and non-current- than what today had this morning).

Replacing another host (and the suggestion of Georgie too) within 12 months won’t help anyone in terms of stability. Whilst I acknowledge that they both don’t want to be there (only in it for $$), Nine have not exhaused every measure: local news, people stories, extended investigations, campaigns, refinement of rundown for more appropriate placement,celebrity guests, live music performances every day (combination of in-studio and OB), set and graphics relaunch, relocation, PROMOS.

1 Like

Karl Stefanovic is probably nearing the end of his time as Today’s male co-presenter, personally I think he’ll step down from the role by 2020 at the very latest, maybe staying with Nine to do 60 Minutes or other special programs (perhaps becoming this generation’s Ray Martin or Mike Munro?) but that’s about it.

I definitely agree that another new co-presenter for Today in the immediate future won’t do anything good in terms of stability though, just take a look at the continually revolving door of talent that is Seven News for a good example!

Aren’t all presenters on commercial breakfast TV only it for the money though? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’d probably say that Nine needs to seriously consider most of the things you’ve mentioned, although a relocation to Melbourne is highly unlikely.

In any case, Nine needs to do something about Today soon because all the problems in the morning are probably starting to affect their 6pm news ratings if they haven’t already!

2 Likes