Today (2015-Sept 2020)

Coverage hosted by Karl and Georgie finished at 12pm.

1 Like

Friday -

Karl in Canberra this morning.

4 Likes

Jayne co-hosting with Allison again this weekend,and Mark Burrows reading news.

3 Likes

I get that they want a male newsreader while Jayne and Ali are hosting, but come on, surely there are better options. Mark doesn’t even sound well this morning.

1 Like

Oh no, they did the unthinkable. Burrows is hardly appropriate for the Morning News let alone breakfast.

You asked :wink: :

• Chris Urquhart
  • Charles Croucher
  • Dougal Beatty
  • Tim Davies
  • Cameron Williams, Ross Greenwood (would require giving them 2 days off next week).
  • Tom Steinfort (not his biggest fan anymore but still better than Mark).
  • Jonathan Uptin
1 Like

It’s bad enough when Mark Burrows does fill-in presenting on Sydney’s 6pm bulletin…but breakfast TV? Good lord his newsreading style has the potential to put viewers back to sleep at 7am!

Again, I don’t have a strong dislike for Mark Burrows but do think he should stick to reporting.

1 Like

Some of those options are ridiculous.

Steve Jacobs will be back, temporarily, presenting the weather.

3 Likes

I, for one, hope this isn’t the last time we see Mark Burrows on Weekend Today. Burrows and Peter Stefanovic forced to interact on the set would be compelling viewing considering what was said during that Uber conversation. I’d even abandon my weekend sleep in to see it.

3 Likes

I think the only reason he is there is because Stefanovic is away.

4 Likes

The fact that Today used to dominate the Melbourne market, and now is 30000 behind Sunrise and tied with News Breakfast is terrifying.

6 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if it is a continuing trend right across the country. I know it sounds harsh, but the whole show is woeful at the moment.

3 Likes

Point of difference required
Melbourne breakfast show…after all we do watch more tv than Sydney
Would love to see Deb Knight shine but would she move for the gig? She has shown in the last 2 weeks her versatility and dedication to 9 across Today, Today Extra, Morning News, Evening News, breaking news extended political coverage and the telethon…true professional, class and likeabilty
Fresh start in Melbourne with new/ish blood from 7 & 9
Alicia Loxley, Christine Ahern, Rebecca Maddern - nice launch lead out from tennis.
Blake Johnson, Tim Davies, Dougall Beatty, Clint Stanaway, Brett McLeod, Denham Hitchcock
And given the similar audience for weekday/weekend…no set weekday hosts…throw them all in the mix
Weather, build Livinias Nixon profile to national with job share with a guy 3/4 days across the week to lighten the load…

Stevie Jacobs is filling in for Natalia for a few weeks.

2 Likes

I don’t know if I’d go as far as saying that there needs to be a local version of Today just for the Melbourne market (although TBH, I’d personally prefer local breakfast programs if that means an end to the toxicness of both Sunrise & Today), but I definitely think Nine needs to add at least one Victorian presenter to the team.

As it’s been said multiple times before, one of the very few things Sunrise gets right is having a mix of presenters from most states compared to Today which is pretty much a NSW/QLD-centric w**kfest.

1 Like

Even then though, the show they are producing is generally just shit.

4 Likes

GG and Natalia are from Perth but yeah I see your point.

3 Likes

Lisa, I think, managed to paper over the cracks of Karl as a host. Such a warm personality, who really carried him.

Georgie I don’t think has that (she’s a very very good newsreader), it’s just not her personality and it’s opened up Karl’s weaknesses. (In fact it reminds me a lot of when Jess Rowe took over, she was a newsreader put into that role, although later developed into a good presence on Studio 10).

The format of the show (and set and GFX) are all a mess too, but good hosts can make a show work without that stuff.

6 Likes

I disagree.

I think it’s about the production (content etc) and presenters of the program and less about where they originated from.

Kyle and Jackie O weren’t born in Sydney - but they are No1 here.

Peter Hitcherner was born in QLD but he’s No1 in Melbourne.

Where you are born means nothing to the success of TV and Radio if you ask me.

7 Likes