Today (2015-Sept 2020)

Has Karl been hosting this since 5.30am? That’s 7 hours and going. When’s his shift end? and people question his work ethic…

4 Likes

But his usual days are only does three and half hours long. :wink:

Couldn’t agree more. People are quick to knock the guy down but almost 8 hours on air, he’s charging and doing a great job heading up the coverage.

7 Likes

But on Sunday, Sunrise won nationally by almost 50,000 as well as winning every market.

I think we need to look beyond Karl for Today’s problems; it is after all has a team of presenters. To me the problems started when Lisa left. It’s worth considering that the drop in viewers is because viewers don’t think the current team has the same chemistry together. It seems to have a different vibe since Lisa left, perhaps not as natural and more forced.

2 Likes

The whole team is doing a fantastic job today so credit isn’t just due for Karl.

1 Like

Absolutely … but I’m just pointing out the extraordinary effort of Karl. No one else has been on for 8 hours and counting.

Yes a long day for him but it isn’t the first time he has worked a long day and he is paid accordingly for his efforts.

1 Like

He’s been on TV for 8 hours going on 9 but up since 3am.

2 Likes

So he’s worked a normal work day that most Australians do.

1 Like

If our work days were documented like the Kardashians

Why mention those toxic shits?

I don’t quite know how to phrase but everytime I see the show it feels like Georgie is still the fill-in host rather than the usual Mon-Fri host.

1 Like

And yet they look better than their usual.

To be fair the ratings dropped mid-2016, when Sunrise started to revert their February 2016 changes, whilst Lisa was still hosting.

When she left, I agree the show lost a vibe but Deb Knight was able to maintain their ratings for the rest of the year. I love Georgie, but miss how she used to be before she quit. I think the undwrlying problem isn’t between her and Karl but more of a factor of whether she wants to be there.

By replacing Karl, the problems won’t automatically disappear (heck, having two new hosts within 12 mnths isn’t going to help anyone). They need to start from the ground-level and fix their content. Another problem is the blokey-feel is still prevalent so maybe getting some strong females on the desk so it isn’t Karl’s grovelling angels.

2 Likes

Not how I see the ratings numbers. In the first half of 2017 and leading up to October when Lisa left, the ratings were close between the two shows. Today was actually stating to get ahead of Sunrise with 11 weekly wins between May and October after no wins in January to April. After Lisa left, Today then didn’t win another week for the rest of the year.

7 Likes

Personally, I do wonder if Nine would’ve been better off leaving Georgie Gardner as the 2nd in-line presenter for Nine News Sydney (a role GG was very successful in yet recieved minimal media attention for, I’ll bet she really misses having it now) with Deborah Knight as the post-Wilkinson co-presenter of Today?

Although if you ask me, one of the biggest problems with Today is actually the male co-presenter of the show. Karl Stefanovic really should’ve done the honourable thing and stood aside when Lisa quit - same deal with Kochie & the departure of Melissa Doyle from Sunrise five years ago this month.

1 Like

Why would that be considered honourable? I don’t understand that. Karl can leave when he either gets fired or has had enough himself, not when Lisa decided to call it quits. Same with Kochie. What a weird thing to say.

4 Likes

Because it would at the very least, minimise the inevitable “Did she quit or was she forced out?” bad publicity, criticism and speculation…which I personally don’t agree with BTW.

Incase you’ve already forgot, both Mel & Lisa unfortunately had to put up with a lot of nonsense from the media (both social and from the online news sites, newspaper gossip pages, woman’s magazines, etc.) once they ended their breakfast TV reigns.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be entirely surprised if Wilkinson does indeed return to Nine when her contract expires at Ten and that she returns to Today with Stefanovic already moved on.

3 Likes

While I’d agree, I’d once again argue my case that Deb should’ve been appointed new host with Karl rather than Georgie (nothing against her). Deb has worked hard for many years and IMO thoroughly deserved the role as much as Georgie did, and at least on screen she is able to have good chemistry with Karl.

1 Like

Bad publicity for Lisa is not Karl’s concern. SHE decided to leave, not Karl. Similarly with Mel. Unfortunate that they both received nonsense from the press but that’s no reason to say Kochie and Karl should quit their jobs over.

4 Likes