Today (2015-Sept 2020)

Over the past month, Today have added a rolling label strap to every headline:

It is quite sensationalist when it is the same style as it is in breaking news mode.

There are many underlying issues which are affecting the ratings, other than the chemistry between Karl and Georgie, which can be fixed in the short term. However, I thought this was noteworthy:

9 Likes

Those straps were in place a long time ago (since last year I think). I agree that they look rather sensationalist and tacky.

2 Likes

TOMORROW: KARL STEFANOVIC LIVE FROM THALLON, QUEENSLAND

THURSDAY 9 AUGUST FROM 5.30AM AEST

TODAY continues its commitment to bringing viewers comprehensive drought coverage, with host Karl Stefanovic live from the heartland, meeting our farmers as they struggle through the worst drought in 100 years.

4 Likes

The strap is unnecessary and looks terrible.

1 Like

Lowest rating in four years or is it ten years?

Thursday (09.08.2018): Sylvia Jeffreys is co-hosting withe Georgie as Karl is on the road reporting on the drought crisis. Lara Vella is reading the news today.

3 Likes

Quite embarrassing figures for Wednesday; <220000 and more than a 55000 gap.

One must wonder whether Georgie Gardner really misses presenting Nine News Sydney on Friday/Saturday nights (a position at the network she managed to hold very successfully with minimal media attention between 2014 and 2017) and doesn’t see her current position as Today co-host all it’s cracked up to be.

Because the question has to be asked: Is Today still leading the breakfast ratings in the Sydney market or is Sunrise outrating them here too?

2 Likes

Sunrise has (easily) won every day in Sydney this week. Today’s Wednesday rating was its second lowest (so far) this ratings season) and down 40,000 from the previous Wednesday,

Are viewers not liking the ‘Drought Aid’ focus this week? Does it perhaps seem insincere?

4 Likes

Thanks for the update. Today not getting #1 ratings in Nine’s strongest market (or at least one of them) must be quite a concern for the network!

2 Likes

It has been suggested.

damned if they do…

Well, as someone directly affected by the drought I’m glad someone’s making an effort to draw attention to the severity of the situation and the terrible impact the drought is having on animals and people. If people want to deem it “insincere” and stop watching Today as a result, bully for them. I’ve no idea what they’re trying to prove and I find it quite pathetic, but there it is. I doubt any of the non-viewers care.

2 Likes

DROUGHT RELIEF APPEAL TOPS $3 MILLION

TOMORROW: KARL STEFANOVIC LIVE FROM WARWICK, QUEENSLAND

FRIDAY 10 AUGUST FROM 5.30AM AEST

Viewers around the country continue to open their hearts and wallets, with Nine’s FIGHTING FOR OUR FARMERS Drought Relief Appeal raising an astounding $3,268,449 in just one week.

Tomorrow morning the TODAY show’s drought coverage continues, with Karl Stefanovic LIVE from Leslie Park in Warwick, South-East Queensland, meeting those in the community who are doing it tough.

2 Likes

The weather on Today will be from the NT next week with Natalia Cooper being in Katherine on Tuesday.

1 Like

I watched the 7am half hour this morning. What a mess!
Why do they have a newsreader? She only read one story with the two main hosts alternating and reading the rest of the news, including one story with Sylvia standing in front of the screen and another chat featuring ratings on food- which seemed more like a feature story for somewhere else in the show not the news segment.
Why is the sports guy giving away fuel? Weird.
Natalia was awkward and clumsy in delivery. Her comments were just immature.
I can see why Today is beginning to struggle.

5 Likes

I believe the 7am news segment was in place a long time ago, even when they were winning in 2016, therefore I can’t see a correlation between the 7am news segment and them losing.

What would you be saying though if Sunrise had the exact same format?

The same thing probably.

1 Like

Friday -

4 Likes

Sylvia is now on holidays for a few weeks.

2 Likes