Today (2015-Sept 2020)

You’d think, considering how frequently the Daily Fail report on Karl, they’d at least spell his name correctly

Karl Stefanvic

A couple of days ago.

1 Like

Chemistry was pretty good today though. Georgie and Sylvia were bullying Karl about his nudie run in 2015.

Even yesterday it was funny when Georgie ‘admitted’ that she didn’t watch the show after she left.

1 Like

Friday (08.06.2018): Sylvia Jeffreys is co-hosting with Karl as Georgie is off sick. Lara Vella is reading the news.

2 Likes

Update on Stevie Jacobs he has answered a question on Instagram on whether he was returning to Weekend Today.
He said 3 days ago
I’m having some chats with Today but nothing confirmed yet.Working on a new show for Nine.Will see what happens but thanks so much for your continued support.You have been amazing.

5 Likes

Makes the Weekend Today team even smaller now with just Peter, Allison and Jayne.

Today Perth News bulletins now includes traffic watch by Mainroads WA before the sports segment.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Karl is tearing shreads off Charlie Brown and some junk doctor because apparently Fortnite is ‘additive’ and ‘violent’. The doctor also suggesting that it causes family violence :unamused::unamused:

Nine must have some kind of bias against Fortnite, must have lost a deal of some sort with them.

4 Likes

Or it actually promotes violence? I watched the segment; and the Dr (Psychologist Sandy Rae) mentioned there were hundreds of studies that show a correlation between violent video games promoting violence in teenagers (or something to that degree).

Or multiple viewers expressed concern, and the producers decided to discuss it on air?

1 Like

Yeah ok parents/guardians/carers, don’t talk about it to the kids that play it, ask the media who know fuck all about it to talk about it and try and blame the video games for stuff that could be prevented by decent parenting.

I’m sure a lot of people played violent video games, watched violent movies/tv shows etc but haven’t committed a murder or any crimes.

Also I love the video they posted on twitter with the first question

GG: What’s the aim of the game?
Clueless parent: To kill all the players in the game

lmao it’s actually to survive the longest, and killing is a secondary objective but not the primary, they’re out of their depth.

They make it out like kids are the main demo playing this game, when there are quite a lot of adults playing it (coming across from H1Z1 and PUBG).

VIOLENT games like Fortnite.

Fucking lmao you see more violence on any TV show than in this game.

https://twitter.com/TheTodayShow/status/1006661774706278400

Have we really traveled back into the 90s/00s where we talk about video game violence. do they not have anything else better to talk about?

Remember when they did this segment in like 2005 but about GTA?

They wonder why no one under the age of like 25 takes them seriously.

7 Likes

wow we are of the same opionion :smiley: as a very recent gamer only 6 years of playing modden games i 100% agree with that ur saying . it is not the games fault it is the fault of parents as far as im away fornight is m15+ which means 15 years old not kids like 8 or 7 every time stuff like this come outs saying its the games fault it makes my blood boil

If they fuck up discussing a simple video game, then imagine how badly they handle actual topics of significance. It’s actually frightening when you realise that the only reason you know they’re talking bullshit is because you know something about the topic to begin with. Makes you wonder how much of what else they tell you is accurate :thinking:

This is why commercial news is in the shitter. Complete disregard for the facts.

5 Likes

I’m certainly not trying to defend poorly researched bits of commercial breakfast television (which let’s be honest, is becoming incredibly toxic in this country) like the example above, but why am I not overly surprised that Today would run a “violent video games cause violence” segment when the commercial networks are mostly run by people in their 40s and over who have absolutely no connections to the young people of 2018 (who probably don’t watch terrestrial TV anyway)?

Years ago I largely dismissed online commentary (from around the time “Wake Up” on Ten launched, from memory) which said something among the lines of the content on Sunrise & Today being comparable to AM radio. But unfortunately, I think that’s actually true now. Breakfast show presenters like Karl Stefanovic & Samantha Armytage on the other channel are fast becoming TV’s equivalent (albeit, with somewhat more polished presentation) to Alan Jones, Ray Hadley, etc!

This is why we desperately need a properly funded ABC News Breakfast and Ten to hopefully re-enter the breakfast TV market at some point in the future. Rant over.

6 Likes

I feel as though journalism in Australia is becoming increasingly more American influenced and sensationalist, in an effort to combat the declining ratings of free-to-air television. It’s not something exclusive to commercial breakfast television either, but also other aspects of journalism.

Instead of receiving reports based on tensions in the Middle-East or societal issues that deserve greater coverage (e.g domestic violence), we are constantly being reminded every weeknight about more pressing issues, such as how much money we can save on our grocery shopping. :roll_eyes: Sensationalism at it’s finest.

Anyway, the decision to devote a segment to discussing how “violent” Fortnite is, is nothing short of questionable. Free-to-air television in this country has never faced such strong competition from other services (e.g Netflix), yet we are being subjected to such a low quality of journalism? The networks need to realise that content like that is certainly not going to win back viewers.

5 Likes

EXACTLY if they bothered to do their own research, they would realise the game is rated M15+ which would mean if parents are letting kids play this (or don’t care), then they aren’t the best parents.

Now I’m gonna be lazy and link a video of this from a report ACA tried to do about this exact topic. (warming Lewis Spears swears a lot).

I’m just hell triggered, might just kill 100 kids on fortnite lmao

3 Likes

It’s like a spinning hamster wheel. That’s why that chasers show was named after it.

magazines publish lies and websites post about those lies, but no one sues (except for Rebel) because it would be essentially biting the hand that feeds you.

If they’re not talking about you then you’re not relevant and if you’re not relevant your expendable.

1 Like

I understand the frustration with this segment but there is some strong and popular research coming out linking violent video games to more aggressive proned adolescents. It has to do more so with developers making games more and more realistic.

Not defending the arguments they made on the show, just trying to provide perspective that there is research to support some of their claims. I’ll agree Fortnite is not really what I’d call violent in nature.

1 Like

I was under the impression the research was more mixed, and it’s more of a contributing factor. Not discrediting what you mentioned, but in my not researched opinion I think Sandy’s claims of “unequivocal research” specifically “increasing aggressive behaviour” are a bit misleading.

2 Likes