Today (2015-Sept 2020)

This is purely just a conversation starter, it’s obviously still early days.

But with Today’s ratings getting worse not better (Cynic posted them vs. Sunrise this morning), it’s going to be interesting over coming weeks, with surely more tabloid articles and rumours. These so-called “insiders” at Nine seem to not be very loyal, going back to the infamous Jacket Gate leak.

If Today’s ratings continue to hover where they are now (or lower) and Sunrise stays a big margin ahead (let alone yesterday’s number), how long before execs start talking tough with Karl and/or Georgie? “We’ll give you 2 weeks” etc. Sorry if that sounds silly.

But look at the show’s track record with talent. Even Jess Rowe got almost year before you know what. What was the ratings margin like back in 2006 vs. now?

Thoughts?

I really expected, given all the promos, talk, media and this site Georgie to propell Today to at least level-pegging!

It’s January. Seven has had the benefit of Australian Open the night before for the 6 ratings days available since Georgie started.

3 Likes

Do you seriously think a week or so is enough time to say whether the pairing of Georgie Gardner & Karl Stefanovic is a success or a failure for Today?

It usually takes time for new breakfast TV presenter parings to gain traction. Karl & Lisa weren’t an instant ratings hit from Day 1 (or even Week 1) and neither were Kochie & Mel.

I wonder if they mentioned Sami Lukis’ past with Today during that segment?

1 Like

Not trying to start a war with Today fans, just a discususon.

I’m sure others would’ve expected Today to win at least one morning (I thought Georgie’s first day) by now?

Interestingly, that’s just what that “insider” also told the Daily Telegraph (of Nine execs thoughts as to why).

Really, it’s just a good excuse.

Married still rated very well, as did ACA (winning), so everybody blaming the tennis every year can’t always be true.

It took 10 years for Today to beat Sunrise (metro).

No way in hell will Nine wait that long again, pure and simple, they have made it clear breakfast TV is a priority and they want to smash Sunrise.

As I clearly stated in my post, if current ratings / margins continue over coming weeks, Nine execs will no doubt be starting to question things, even waiting a month or two. Official survey begins very soon (albeit breakfast isn’t included in share).

A sizeable chunk of the Australian Open audience on Sunday night would’ve turned the TV off after the tennis was over. No prizes for guessing what was the first program/channel many of those viewers saw the next morning.

Although 2016 was the first year that Today won the ratings in the combined five city metro ratings (even then, I’m pretty sure Sunrise still dominated in Adelaide & Perth that year) since either 2003 or 2004, it’s to my understanding that the Karl & Lisa-era Today was regularly competitive with Sunrise in the East Coast markets well before 2016.

If there’s ratings losses over a period of 6-12 months with Sunrise beating Today in Sydney & Brisbane for the year, I’m sure the sound from the alarm bells at Willoughby will be deafening.

But if Today were to outrate Sunrise in Sydney & Brisbane and at least get regularly competitive figures in Melbourne throughout 2018, I think Nine would be reasonably happy with that.

I’m sorry, I can not believe Nine would endure losses for that long (if that occurs).

Maybe, but I’m seeing this, very easy to use excuse being thrown around a lot.

1 Like

Not a good look for Today.

1 Like

That theory (that I once advocated as well) has been disproved on numerous occasions. A couple examples that come to mind are the morning following The (very late running) Logies and the NRL grand final - both won by Sunrise.

3 Likes

Here’s a Melbourne version of the updated one:

4 Likes

Sami’s book is about her search for love and she mentioned in this interview that Today is actually mentioned in this book because of the travelling she did for this show and some of the people she meet along the way.

2 Likes

RANT ALERT

This is getting beyond ridiculous. I think there is an average of 5-6 stories written on Karl each day on this rubbish website.
If you are bothered to even read this story, you’ll see how much effort it took for them to spin it into another Karl-hate piece. The story was based on an interview between Kyle & Jackie O with ‘Dean from MAFS’ - BUT because Kyle mentioned Karl’s name ONCE, DailyMail change the whole topic of the article and base it (even using Karl and Jasmine, as opposed to the MAFS personality, in the thumbnail) on Karl’s love life.

I get that he’s, at times, a controversial figure - but this, in my opinion, is bullying. I can’t begin to imagine what the media and public reaction would be if this was done to a female personality (and before anyone mentions Sam Armytage, I think it’s fair to say that she doesn’t/didn’t face this much scrutiny).

For context, here are the articles that I found written of Karl ALL FROM YESTERDAY (30.01.18)

I, for one, think enough is enough!

7 Likes

Simple solution: don’t read the Mail Online.

15 Likes

No one with any sense whatsoever would read the Fail (Online), surely.

1 Like

Yeah they are obsessed with him and it’s usually all negative now, he did a meerkat impression this morning and they labelled it embarrassing. Yet he did the same thing years ago and no one said a word.

You all know I’m a long time Today watcher and fan and I think Karl and Georgie did have chemistry back in the day but there’s something a little off now, maybe its age? personality clash? Karl seems to be intimidated by her and won’t stray off the page so to speak as much anymore. Georgie will laugh along and it seems genuine but they need that spark back they had when they used to work together. I would suggest the EPs get them out to a few long lunches and discuss strategy and get familiar with each other again with no bias of media crap that is going on now.

That doesn’t change the fact that these articles are being published. Ignoring the articles doesn’t achieve anything.

“Karl is not following Lisa on Instagram.”

Lol someone got paid to write that

5 Likes

Kyle seems to have feuds with everyone.

I crack up at Hughesy’s dig at him (and Grant Denyer) every year at the Logies :joy:

Exactly. That ‘news’ site is beyond pathetic. Stop giving them airtime.

3 Likes

Lol. That article is rubbish Karl hasn’t been following Lisa on Instagram for years… nothing new.

There are quotas that reports have to meet, hence the rubbish articles.