Today (2015-Sept 2020)

New Promo for Weekend Today:

Video:

They’ll probably tweak it after Monday If new graphics are launched.

10 Likes

I really am wondering if there actually is a relaunch.

2 Likes

Can’t imagine they’d make a promo to use for less than a week. I wouldn’t get your hopes up for Monday unfortunately.

9 Likes

I agree. I really don’t think there will be a relaunch. The new day thing is clearly just referring to a new hosting team. I could be wrong but I’m not expecting much at all.

5 Likes

I’m expecting a change in format of the show but that’s about it.

1 Like

I think there might be a minor refresh of the graphics (tweaking things like the supers so they’re more in line with what Nine News currently uses, etc.) on Monday, but probably not a full relaunch.

Set(s) will probably remain the same until the move to North Sydney in a couple of years time when Nine inevitably pumps it up the new studios as being “the most advanced broadcast facilities in the Southern Hemisphere”.

There was never any official confirmation about a relaunch in graphics/set, just an assumption that has since escalated and everyone getting ahead of themselves.

If you actually think about it when ever a presenter has joined a show regardless of networks there has never been a relaunch it was always later down the track (because that would be too much change which viewers hate). i.e Ian Ross (Seven News), Sam A (Weekday Sunrise), Tim, Libby/Emmy (Nine News)

8 Likes

Yes. That’s exactly what I was going to say.

Also, remember the last Sunrise relaunch where they tried to change everything. Yikes! Better to implement change slowly.

3 Likes

This is the headline on the Nine press release:

Wake Up With A New Look Weekend Today

So it’d be daft if it stays the way it has been for the past however long.

1 Like

The promos are obviously causing a fair amount of hype with readers on here, I mean doesn’t everybody love a good relaunch? That aside - this is fairly low key. I remember a few years back when anyone had a whiff of a possible relaunch, the site went into meltdown.

But like other’s have said, there will most likely be no change (more so, if you expect nothing - you’re more than likely to get nothing, and if something happens it’s a better surprise lol).

Might I cast your mind back to Monday the 30th of January 2006. A certain blonde female journalist became the new co-host of Today. There were also massive changes right across the Nine Network that day. Even Network Ten rolled out a few new things

2 Likes

And how well did that go? Wasn’t that the same year Nine’s ratings headed southward and Seven began to dominate?

I think you’ve just perfectly illustrated how things can go so badly wrong when they change too much, too soon.

I never said in my post that what occurred at Nine was anyway successful (with regards to their new look, including Today).

The point I was making, was that @NewsAustralia had stated that: …“when ever a presenter has joined a show regardless of networks there has never been a relaunch it was always later down the track”
And of course, as I just mentioned previously there was a complete network overhaul that took place at Nine the day that Jessica Rowe began as the new permanent co-host of Today.

But if you want a some what reasonable example of a show not falling to pieces during a newcomer’s first episode. Karl’s first outing as co-host of Today in 2005, I do believe the program received an updated look (with that spiral staircase that pretty much lead to a tiny inside balcony)

1 Like

Pretty sure when Lisa joined the show back in May 2007 there was no new set.

Don’t think so

Fair enough about it “never” having happened in the past. But my point was that they’ve learnt from those mistakes, so massive changes that can disrupt like that are less likely these days.

Yeah fair call, I think it would have been successful (for Nine) if things back in '06 were a gradual increase. But like you just said, massive changes are disruptive.

There are supposed to be changes to the set on Monday, just nothing major. As has been mentioned, the structure of the 2012 set will remain until Nine moves.

There won’t be anything bigger than what we saw in Feb 2016 or for the 2013 refresh.

It is good to set your standards low now.

Nice to see the weekend edition being promoted. However, strange that they didn’t mention either of their names once.

3 Likes

If all they changed was a new backdrop for the screen, plus some tweaks to the supers such as shrinking them would probably be a good start.

And then for the set perhaps a stage with a new (bigger) desk and the option of a couch to soften things up for lighter stories / interviews etc I think that would make a huge difference and not break the bank.

4 Likes

Looks like the BBC finally noticed Nine’s efforts.

6 Likes

So are they say it was a rip-off? They wouldn’t have put it on their news website otherwise. How did Nine think they wouldn’t get caught out?

1 Like