Today (2015-Sept 2020)

That was just a Media Spy assumption, Honestly I don’t think she would of done that. It means she needs to work from around 4-5am in the morning till 8pm at night which really isn’t that healthy. Plus Weekend Today really isn’t the best job anyway, 6PM is far superior than Weekend Today.

5 Likes

l will miss Deb on Weekend Today but her new role on the Sydney News is a more prominent position
Hopefully next year we will now have a regular team this year it has been totally ridiculous with the constant fill ins.

3 Likes

I’m guessing Allison will also become a fill in on Sydney 6pm & 4pm News in 2018.

2 Likes

Knowing the ratings positions of both, I’d definitely say that being Sydney’s Friday/Saturday night newsreader (and presumably also being the main Sunday-Thursday fill-in for Peter Overton) is a way more prestigious role than being the host of Weekend Today!

1 Like

Actually Deb will prob just take over Georgie’s job meaning she will be the fill in for Sonia on Today Extra. She’s already well known to the brand/show

1 Like

Yes, the story indicates that. Deborah Knight will not be hosting Weekend Today, despite some others hoping that.

3 Likes

Exactly, I don’t mean to be rude but with Tom hosting… same with Peter when he hosted was a total disaster. Tom shouldn’t be co-hosting. Deb (Leila also when she was on) & Cam ran the show perfectly. It’s disaster to watch now. Hopefully with this move Ali will be able to sail the show smoothly, But yet again more work presenting wise needs to be done too.

3 Likes

I prefer if Deb stayed and Allison moved to co-host with Deb, and Tom can move to sports. I really want to see them have a full team so it doesn’t look cheap.

My main concern with Weekend Today (plus Today Extra and A Current Affair for that matter) is the fact that they come out of the shoebox set :sob: I think THAT is what adds the tacky and cheap feel (among other things in regards to ACA :wink: )

Seems like an odd decision. Nonetheless, I thought he did okay this morning and should be pretty good by the end of the week.

It will be very sad to see Deb go (she is the only thing that has held that team together since Cam and Wendy left). I was really hoping her temporary stint on Today over the past 2 months would mean she would become Georgie’s main fill-in next year. Hopefully she still fills in.

Tom is shocking. I think I worked out what it is. He reads like Emma Freedman; they take breaths in the incorrect places. The team has been rather incompetent (you could say amateur) since Cam and Wendy left in 2015.

If the summer of 2011 is anything to go by, Allison will do well.

@Salty Deb better watch out. One of the leading factors that Nine didn’t renew Lisa’s contract was because she worked for other organisations.

3 Likes

That’s not true. The issue was the pay she was asking for on a non exclusive basis. Not the fact that she was working outside nine.

Deb’s been doing that for a few years now and is no different to Tracy Vo who does weekends on ABC Radio in Perth.

1 Like

But hasn’t Huffington Post folded now in Aus?

Yes, though that obviously happened subsequent to Lisa going through the motions of her contract negotiations with Nine management some months ago.

Had it happened earlier who knows what may have transpired if they (Nine) were able to secure Lisa across their digital assets which may have met her salary expectations, she could still be on Today now.

3 Likes

It hadn’t folded at the time Lisa was looking to negotiate her contract.

Nine must pay a premium on locking down talent. I find it surprising that Nine and other networks do this, especially for print and online media, because having your talent on as many outlets as possible heightens their reputation, standing and following, and thus generates interest in their projects on television networks which helps drive ratings.

The US of all places is much more relaxed than Australia when it comes to allowing their talent to appear on rival networks and act for multiple studios, and the entertainment industry there is far from dead because of it. I would much rather Australian networks come to their senses and follow suit.

I still think Nine was silly to let her go.

2 Likes

Well Lisa is now going to be the head of “Ten Daily” which will be their big digital platform so wasn’t out of work for long. I’m assuming it will be the same as channel 9 and how they divide their websites by interests like 9honey etc…?

6 Likes

So Deb replaces Georgie in prime time news. That makes sense.

Also good to read that Deb will fill in for Georgie and Sylvia when they are away next year.

3 Likes

I REALLY hope that is true, if so great news.

Remember Georgie was promised to be Lisa’s main fill-in on Today and host ACA occasionally, but that never eventuated.

3 Likes