Today (2015-Sept 2020)

They asked whether she ran it past her kids and she said her kids both encouraged her to do it. Her 12 year old daughter gave her tips on social media and taking selfies so she can increase her followers. Her 10 year old son is keen because they will have more take away meals. :laughing:

They talked about her getting snapped outside her lawyers with contract in hand in the newspaper earlier in the week. Georgie said that she wasn’t savvy with the paparazzi and honestly had no idea that they were following her at all. She asked Fitzy and Wippa for tips on avoiding the paps.

They asked her about whether she spoke to Lisa. She said that she had texted before it was announced this morning and she had wished her well. She considers Lisa a good friend and a mentor, from working alongside her for 7 years. They also talked about Karl, who she praised for his work. They mentioned “Steffo” had said she had a wicked sense of humour but she wished he wouldn’t say that because it puts pressure on her to be funny on air.

She was really hilarious in the interview and said she was a fan of Fitzy and Wippa. The only negative about the new job is she won’t be able to listen to them any more. Wippa suggested she could listen to their podcast when she curled up in bed with her husband, but Georgie said she preferred to have Wippa all to herself. :laughing:

She is obviously a fan because she mentioned a few things that only a regular listener would know. She asked about their offsider Sarah, who just had a baby and is on maternity leave and praised her work and being able to take time off for her new family. An embarrassingly hilarious mistake she had once made about their producer Tom, was also mentioned. Georgie also requested that she come back for their Rap Battle on Fridays and was a little disappointed they hadn’t asked her already. They said she is most welcome and to please come back for it early in 2018.

12 Likes

Nine’s announcement

GEORGIE GARDNER NAMED AS CO-HOST OF TODAY

Respected journalist Georgie Gardner will co-host TODAY alongside Karl Stefanovic, it was announced on-air this morning.

Georgie – who was previously part of the TODAY line-up presenting news for seven years until 2014 – will join Karl, news presenter Sylvia Jeffreys, sports presenter Tim Gilbert, entertainment editor Richard Wilkins, weather presenter Natalia Cooper and finance editor Ross Greenwood next year.

Georgie Gardner said: “I’m thrilled to be joining the Today team. It is one of the few roles of this calibre on Australian television, it’s not lost on me what a huge honour and great privilege it is. It’s come at the right time in terms of where my family is at, and I have their full support. It’s an amazing opportunity, I’m really excited to be back working alongside the most talented team in the business, and reconnecting with Today viewers.”

Karl Stefanovic said: “It’s great to have Georgie back. I think the best thing about her, is her heart. Viewers know she cares. She is connected to what other mums are going through and really feels for them – and she’s got a wicked sense of humour. She’s also very committed to making sure information is right, in an age where it’s not in a lot of news sources, that’s a great attribute to have.”

Nine Network Director of Morning Television, Mark Calvert, said: “There’s no better person on Australian TV than Georgie. Ever since she left, viewers have been asking me when she’s coming back. Well here she is, and I couldn’t be happier. She’s the total package: a brilliant broadcaster, a great journalist and a top woman.”

For more information:

https://honey.nine.com.au/2017/11/23/07/21/georgie-gardner-to-co-host-today-in-2018

7 Likes

Karl & Georgie appeared on Today Extra

1 Like

Hopefully someone will/or has record/ed the today extra announcement.

1 Like

iam glad shes back:) i only ever watched today extra when ever gerogie co hosted i think its the best choice all round

1 Like

Georgie Gardiner:

I don’t want the job

…

I will happily accept the job

Not joining until next year?

:thinking:

Congrats to her though, big role and big shoes to fill.

I never usually ask a womans age but out of curiosity, anybody know her actual age (tend not to trust Wiki)?

–

Also, Deb Knight obvious replacement for weekend news in Sydney?

Surely. She’s the obvious choice.

Hopefully they go all out with new graphics and a proper designed set when she returns.

4 Likes

Georgie Gardner is 47. But age is no barrier for Nine. Now over at Seven it is a different story…

4 Likes

47 is considered old?

I find it amusing the show now has two hosts that don’t really want to be there. Karl has been wanting off the show for years and Georgie can’t cope with the early starts. I guess money talks. I wonder if they ever spare a thought for the poor bastards who have to get up at sparrow’s fart for 50-60 years for a lot less money?

9 Likes

So roughly a decade younger than Lisa?

Wonder if that’ll pull in some different viewers?

I think of the ratings spike for Sunrise when Sam took over from Mel.

1 Like

Correct me if I’m wrong but Karl recently did an interview saying those Articles are fake and he didn’t want to leave the show.

2 Likes

Not really anything new when you have Kochie looking bored as f**k these days alongside Sam who just doesn’t give a sh*t at hosting the show.

At least Karl and Georgie has (or will have) good chemistry, unlike the other two on Seven.

6 Likes

Slightly awkward moment there where the graphics team forgot to vet a pedestrian.tv article for f bombs.

Perhaps not the best day for an announcement given Perth is switching to the Ashes at 7am. Did today broadcast earlier into Perth? Either way - many would have missed in Perth.

1 Like

I agree with anyone else who won’t be overly surprised to see an On-Air Presentation relaunch of Today to coincide with Georgie Gardner’s return to the program in 2018. Maybe even a major promotional campaign with a tagline like “Georgie’s Waking Up with Today Again!” on heavy rotation over Summer?

As for the Friday/Saturday nights + main Peter Overton fill-in presenting role on Nine News Sydney, unless she decides to stick to Weekend Today we’re probably going to see Deborah Knight get that position in Early 2018?

3 Likes

I believe they did do it in the early hours of the morning

Well, I’m very happy about this decision. I second that this is the best and most obvious choice. I can see Today putting up a good fight for the #1 spot next year.

For those interested, there’s a pretty cool BTS look at the announcement on GG’s Instagram “story”.

And here is their official first promo-shoot together as co-hosts… exciting times ahead.

12 Likes

6 Likes

Couldn’t have done that photo with Deborah.

4 Likes
2 Likes