Today (2015-Sept 2020)

1. She talked about it in an interview with mamamia earlier this year.
3 Likes

Yeah thought it was around then, as she said it was about An Inconvenient Truth’s release (which I know was around then).

2 Likes

Nine CEO Hugh Marks has told News that they withdrew their offer to Lisa Wilkinson on Monday due to her job with the Huffington Post, and it came after the story in The Sunday Telegraph about the stalled contract negotiations. Marks is seemingly confirming that Wilkinson was effectively sacked - terminated.

3 Likes

I just realised that the 5:30-6am portion of Today is literally the Early News but presented by the Today Team…

4 Likes

Amidst all the drama, it should be said Deb is doing a great job co-hosting Today.

A nice salute to Lisa’s career:

Sylvia Jeffreys is currently in contract negoiations, it comes at the perfect time, as they will likely offer her the co-host gig to keep her on:
http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/morning-shows/today-star-sylvia-jeffreys-in-contract-negotiations/news-story/f97d61c303614784dcf59b17568006c7

12 Likes

I still think that Nine wouldn’t have as much bad PR if Lisa appeared yesterday and she was farewelled. It would be a bit like an episode of The Wrong Girl, where co-host Erica was begged to do one more show for her own dignity, after quitting due to a dispute with her co-host.

2 Likes

same manager though. Ben Fordham’s brother.

That would be really complicated, wouldn’t it?

His negotiations for his first client have just fallen through and he would be potentially pitching his second client for the same job.

Not really - a job is a job, a client is a client. Working in the entertainment business, my partner and I encounter this all the time. A gig is a gig.

2 Likes

He just got Lisa the highest paying job for a woman on TV. He’s probably got Seven and Nine fearing him, knowing that he’ll drive a hard deal.

Dear. Freaking. Lord.

2 Likes

It’s funny how they don’t say Peter FitzSimons but Lisa Wilkinson’s husband

Lisa Wilkinson’s husband reveals ‘intense’ times to Nova’s Fitzy and Wippa
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/sydney-confidential/lisa-wilkinsons-husband-reveals-intense-times/news-story/06ba30a5d6170221906bf05dae998a69

1 Like

LOL

Ellen DeGeneres is apparently in the running, according to wagering companies.

Just to add an umpteenth potential to the mix :joy:

Now that all the chips are falling there’s something I want to say about the whole situation (if it hasn’t already been said).

Although I do think that Lisa was an enormous asset to the TODAY show, and its sad to see her go under the circumstances, $2.2million is a heck of a lot of dollars for the host of the #2 breakfast show. Yes, ratings have improved since she joined the show a decade ago, but there is no evidence to prove that she was the main cause of that - if anything I would say Karl’s ever-growing popularity on social media, nationally and internationally, was the main cause of that. Nonetheless, I am of the opinion that if her pay cheque was going to cause 10 producers to lose their job (still speculation, AFAIK), the backlash Nine would have recieved would have been extremely worse! Marks was in the middle of a rock and a hard place!

If ‘pay parity’ was the ultimate reason for her departure, then I think it is important to also consider that, not only does Karl do almost double the amount of shows (TODAY, This Time Next Year, 60 Minutes, 9 News, A Current Affair) that Lisa did (TODAY, Carols by Candlelight, Women’s Weekly Specials [mind you, I’m not sure if she even did last years editions]), but he’s also been doing the show for longer.

Don’t get me wrong, I greatly admire the efforts she put into the show for 10 years - I would go as far to say Lisa is the reason why I am pursuing a career in journalism. However, the shit-storm in which this has all ended is very dissapinting. I do wish her all the best at TEN though.

Now let’s all hope for an announcement of either Georgie or Bathie to be the replacement :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

3 Likes

How many producers lost their jobs because of Karl’s pay packet?

How many lost their jobs when Nine CEO David Gyngell was paid $19.6 million dollars in 2014?

Karl was given extended holidays this year while Lisa was in the chair so his network time is nowhere near double Lisa’s, and I’m sure Lisa has said she would like to be given prime time roles as well. The contract is not for what she was doing in the past but what she would do going forward, so additional duties would be on the table.

I find it very unprofessional that Nine should be releasing information about contract negotiations that include the amounts allegedly offered. They would be better advised to keep quite and move on.

9 Likes

I wish we knew, but for now, I can only base my argument on the information that is currently known.

As far as I’m aware, they’ve both had three seperate holidays (either 1-2 weeks long), and if I’m wrong Karl may have had an additional one. It is fair to say though, Karl has travelled overseas to cover major breaking stories too. I just don’t see the reason to compare the two.

If there was a greater workload for Lisa outlined in her offered contract then I can see the issue - however I haven’t and I don’t.

Nine are damage control and the figures they’re throwing around now may actually have been the starting point of their negotiations. If they’re any good at negotiating, they were probably at much lower figure before negotiations broke down.

What is really a bad look here is Nine management’s knee jerk reaction to seeing a story about their negotiations with Lisa in the Sunday newspaper. They certainly could have handled this much better and given Lisa a dignified farewell on screen, so they didn’t look like jerks.

8 Likes

Now an article reporting Lisa wanted to be paid close to Hugh Marks’ salary.

Larry Emdur and Kylie Gillies also discussed in the article.

Marks: Lisa, how much money do want?
Wilkinson: More than you, same as Karl.

I’m sure that’s how it finished.

4 Likes

Well what explains Larry Emdur getting a bigger salary than Kylie Gillies on The Morning Show over on Seven? Larry used to do The Price is Right, but not anymore.