Today (2015-Sept 2020)

No coming back from this, TVAU should hang up the boots. Smh my head

3 Likes

As a certain person on MediaSpy would say, It wouldnā€™t surprise me ā€¦ if Karl Stefanovic is moved on to another role next year. A fresh team on Today would be good, and Karl could do what he is excellent at - anchoring A Current Affair.

4 Likes

How was she able to do that interview while contracted to Nine?

1 Like

Where would this leave Tracy? Out of a job?

What a coup for Lisa & Ten though!

Prime-time / much bigger ratings than Today.

And massive personality / identity for the network.

Tracy Grimshaw?

Karl moves to ACA, Tracy moves to Today - problem solved :joy:

(Iā€™m joking, of course)

Karl and Lisa in competing time slots in primetime. Make it happen Nine!

1 Like

60 mins? Iā€™m just theorising, like everyone else.

Nine & Ten have a fairly good working relationship. They both share many personalities e.g. Jessica Marais, Julia Morris etc. Iā€™m sure it wasnā€™t a major issue at the time when Lisa appeared on The Project.
Though, I bet Nine are kicking themselves they didnā€™t put the pieces together until now.

1 Like

With permission. Sheā€™s done quite a few appearances on Ten and ABC this year and with these negotiations we now know why they were loosening the leash.

I daresay they didnā€™t see Ten as a threat and to be fair they probably werenā€™t until CBS came along.

1 Like

When Wilkinson appeared on The Project in December 2016 it was to talk about the demise of Dolly magazine. There was no secret preplanning about that appearance. She was only on as she had been the editor of Dolly which at the time was owned by the Packers who also owned Nine.

3 Likes

I think the team at Sunrise will have reason to be very worried about this. Sevenā€™s deplorable treatment of ā€œAustraliaā€™s sweetheartā€ is well remembered by her loyal fans who have seen her force fed too many shit sandwiches in recent years. Melissa Doyle may not have had a decent offer to go elsewhere in the past but that may have just changed. Letā€™s face it, Armytage, who only got the job because of her BFF relationship with the EP, has never resonated with viewers in the same way Doyle did. What better way to get back at those that shafted you than by jumping ship to the opposition?

Credit to Doyle for swallowing her pride and being professional. Not only has she risen above the newsroom politics, she has earned greater respect and credibility for the job she has done on Sunday Night. That role wouldnā€™t be conducive to a stable family life. Her children are going through those difficult teenage years and Iā€™d guess sheā€™d prefer to be close to home as much as possible instead of jet setting around the world on assignment.

Melissa Doyle managed to do the impossible and make Kochie palatable at breakfast. Imagine what she could do for Stefanovic. There has been a mass exodus of long term Seven employees bailing out in recent times. Thereā€™s a reason for that. I think Mel just found her exit strategy.

8 Likes

news.com.au has a couple of photos of Stefanovic looking a bit bewildered on Monday night, but itā€™s probably more that a camera is in his face than to do with Wilkinson.

At 7:20 in the video below Lisa Wilkinson was asked by Charlie Pickering about the gender pay gap at Channel 9. Lisaā€™s answer was that Karl and her didnā€™t know what each others salaries are, if thatā€™s true how can she ask for pay parity if she doesnā€™t know what Karl is getting.

Deborah Knight should be the main runner for the Co-Hosting position. Not Sylvia Jeffreys! I do agree with some others post Georgie Gardner would be fantastic too if that means stepping down from 6pm News. Deb really deserves this sheā€™s worked the hard yards for years and this is her time! She gets on great with the team and never any awkward banter!

4 Likes

Deborah Knight co-hosting this morning (and probably the rest of the week) with Karl.

5 Likes

On the contrary. In an interview recently in TV Week she said the show have her more time with her family than Sunrise did. She also mentioned a recent trip to London and her husband is there for them but her kids were old enough to look after themselves now, to not really notice she was gone.

1 Like

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Today hosts were on equal pay (as opposed to Koch being paid significantly more than whoever the co-host was at that stage). Somewhere along the line Nine and / or Stefanovic must have decided he was ā€œworthā€ more. Today has gradually become more Stefanovic-centric - itā€™s like the early years of the show, where Liebman would do all the ā€œseriousā€ interviews and the female host would be left with the fluffier stuff. Stefanovic seems to have taken over and Todayā€™s become more and more unwatchable as a result - IMO, at least.

Occasional fluff pieces for 60 Minutes and his prime time efforts donā€™t mean Stefanovic is worth more money. Wilkinson brought stability to Today and allowing her to leave in favour of keeping Stefanovic happy is a mistake. Simple as that.

Good grief, I hope not. Theyā€™d be better off taking Today off the air than installing her as co-host. Sheā€™d be a terrible choice.

1 Like

Good to see Lisa this morning during the ads on Today spruiking the Australian Womenā€™s Weekly Diary :grin::grin:

1 Like

Georgie Gardner is originally from Perth. She doesnā€™t make a big deal of it (unlike Stefanovic making references to his precious Queensland every few minutes). Perhaps sheā€™s outgrown such childish state-based parochialism.

3 Likes