Today (2015-Sept 2020)

[quote=“SydneyCityTV, post:27, topic:101”]
Surely Today will most likely launch any new look on Monday?
[/quote] If it will be early in the year, definitely Monday 25. And for once I hope it is a really good, polished, glossy set, like Sunrise’s in 2010.[quote=“SydneyCityTV, post:27, topic:101”]
the last two major relaunches for Nine’s breakfast program (2012 and 2014)
[/quote] I believe the one you are citing to in 2014 was only a graphics update. The backdrop and the desk was implanted November 4, News Breakfast’s 5th anniversary and the launch of Wake Up.

[quote=“SydneyCityTV, post:27, topic:101”]
Aside from the fact that accusations of Nine reacting to Seven’s relaunch of Sunrise are inevitably going to be thrown around if Today relaunched on February 1 or later,
[/quote] I hope they (accusations) are thrown in the opposite direction this year, hopefully with Sunrise launching after Today. However, realistically, no one can really copy anyone in a matter of a few weeks, well with the set anyway.

3 Likes

Only time will tell how right or wrong you are with that prediction.

It’s to my understanding that the backdrop/desk was originally supposed to launch in Early 2014 along with the graphics, but obviously they moved it forward to November 2013 due to Wake Up launching.

1 Like

Anyone got this promo?

Chris Urquhart reporting on Twitter that Today, Today Extra and Weekend Today are getting new graphics and a new set.

Mornings is being renamed to Today Extra.

1 Like

Can’t find a Mornings thread, but it’s relevant here too - Kevin Perry from Decider TV has tweeted that from February 8th Mornings will be renamed ‘Today Extra’.

@kevingperry: Mornings with Sonia Kruger and David Campbell will be renamed Today Extra from 8th February. @Channel9 @SoniaKruger @DavidCampbell73

NINE’S BREAKFAST TEAMS RETURN FOR 2016

From Monday 25 January

· TODAY – 5.30am to 9.00am weekdays
· TODAY EXTRA – 9.00am to 11.30am weekdays
· WEEKEND TODAY – 7.00am to 10.00am Saturday and Sunday

Everyone’s favourite breakfast show, TODAY, sees the return of hosts Lisa Wilkinson and Karl Stefanovic on Monday, January 25.

To start off another big year, the team will host a massive Australia Day Special – broadcasting live from Parramatta Park in Sydney’s west on January 26. Karl, Lisa, entertainment editor Richard Wilkins, news presenter Sylvia Jeffreys, sports presenter Tim Gilbert, weatherman Stevie Jacobs and finance editor Ross Greenwood will be there to welcome thousands of people for the biggest Australia Day TV party ever.

They will be joined by a heap of celebrities, including Aussie heart-throb Chris Hemsworth and singing star Tim Omaji. And they’ll get stuck into a heap of Aussie activities, as well as checking in with reporters right around the country to see how our viewers are celebrating Australia Day.

Also returning for 2016 is the hugely popular Dickie’s Double Dip, The Block of Cash and the always feel-good Knock of Cash.

Lisa Wilkinson said: “I’ve loved my sleep-ins over the last few weeks and having some great times with Pete and the kids, but I’m looking forward to getting back together with my Today Show family – Karl, the team and all our fabulous viewers.

The summer holidays have been all about relaxing so, like the boys, I’ll probably have to shave my beard off too.”

Karl Stefanovic said: “We finished the year strongly, so I’m really looking forward to getting back together with the team and bringing the best morning television to our audiences around Australia.”

Then, on February 8, Sonia Kruger and David Campbell will return to launch a newly branded TODAY EXTRA (formerly Mornings) that will follow on from TODAY (Monday to Friday) and WEEKEND TODAY (Saturday, Sunday).

Meanwhile, WEEKEND TODAY’S Cameron Williams will be joined by a variety of guest hosts throughout the year including Peter Stefanovic, Natalia Cooper, Jayne Azzopardi and Amelia Adams, with Deborah Knight going on maternity leave this weekend.

TODAY, TODAY EXTRA and WEEKEND TODAY will also unveil a brand new set and fresh new look, giving viewers an even warmer welcome.

1 Like

New topic in the Nine Network area - Today Extra (Mornings)

[quote=“David, post:31, topic:101”]
Chris Urquhart reporting on Twitter that Today, Today Extra and Weekend Today are getting new graphics and a new set.
[/quote] Good, any date?[quote=“killy06, post:32, topic:101”]
February 8th Mornings will be renamed ‘Today Extra’.
[/quote] The other day, I was thinking Today should do an Extra like Sunrise, however, what I thought was weird about Sunrise’s is it never provides the meaning of extra. Extra means,

added to an existing or usual amount or number…” and Sunrise just provides repeats. [quote=“killy06, post:32, topic:101”]
Sonia Kruger and David Campbell [will host] Today Extra
[/quote] David sure, a sign of him more popular/familiarised with the Today audience and a replacement for Karl but Sonia… nooooo! I suppose the content of Today Extra and Mornings will be similar. I think we on MS have mentioned before, the networks are heading for the breakfast shows to be a lead-in for the 6pm News :wink:

Wow none of us saw that one coming. Not sure if I like the idea though

2 Likes

So with Deb heading off on maternity leave this weekend we have a array of guest hosts joining Cam,my personal preference would have been to have a permanent fill -in.Jayne Azzopardi is a up-coming talent and with this opportunity as one of the guest hosts,l hope it leads to a permanent role at the network down the track.

1 Like

And Nine News Now will be renamed “Later Today” :smirk:

10 Likes

Obviously the changes to Mornings/Today Extra will happen on February 8, but surely I’m not the only one who wouldn’t be surprised to see Nine stealing Seven’s thunder by relaunching Today next week?

1 Like

I think Nine would have always planned for the return of the presenters to also include a new look. I don’t think it’s a lot about stealing thunder either. Can’t just go pull a set together in three days after sunrise announced it. These things would be in the pipeline for ages. Just happen to coincide with the start of the ratings year - no surprise.

I like the idea of Today Extra. Very similar to what NBC Today do with the extra hour of the show hosted by different presenters. It’s lighter but keeps the branding going. Will be interesting to see how the flow on effect goes from Today and if that improves rather than a drop off.

2 Likes

[quote=“TV.Cynic, post:33, topic:101”]
Meanwhile, WEEKEND TODAY’S Cameron Williams will be joined by a variety of guest hosts throughout the year including Peter Stefanovic, Natalia Cooper, Jayne Azzopardi and Amelia Adams, with Deborah Knight going on maternity leave this weekend.
[/quote] So will Weekend Today be more like Today Extra and Mornings than Today? Sounds like it. That will be a different take on for Weekend Sunrise that is for sure. Weird, Weird Weird.[quote=“TV.Cynic, post:33, topic:101”]
Also returning for 2016 is the hugely popular … The Block of Cash
[/quote] I am surprised Blocky hasn’t been told to BLOCK off! Just a gimmick of the Cash Cow on Sunrise.

[quote=“Salty, post:37, topic:101, full:true”]
So with Deb heading off on maternity leave this weekend we have a array of guest hosts joining Cam,my personal preference would have been to have a permanent fill -in.Jayne Azzopardi is a up-coming talent and with this opportunity as one of the guest hosts,l hope it leads to a permanent role at the network down the track.
[/quote] Salty, I think by that press release I interpret that Weekend Today will be more like Today Extra/Mornings than Sunrise, Weekend Sunrise and Today. So maybe on the weekend there will be no more weather or sport updates, a brief news hit… Not sure.

So Deb last weekend is on Sunday or will she begin maternity leave as of Friday?[quote=“Wade, post:36, topic:101, full:true”]
Wow none of us saw that one coming. Not sure if I like the idea though
[/quote] That’s for sure. It is really weird. The weekday TODAY seems fine but the rest is a bit whacky. Weekend Sunrise and Studio 10 for me! :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Today Extra has more regular news updates but apart from that, the content remaining much the same as it is now. I doubt that either the “main” Today Show or Weekend Today will have any particularly major content changes.

I agree, it would be nice to see Jayne Azzopardi (who if you ask me, is one of the best reporters on Nine News Sydney) in a permanent presenting role sometime in the future. She’s definitely a rising star! :grinning:

1 Like

NBN was ahead of the game, we had Today Extra from 9am for years :smiley:

2 Likes

@nationalnews l don’t believe we will see any changes to the content of 'Weekend Today, the press release is just stating the hosting change with Deb on maternity leave.
Judging from press release it sounds like to me Deb will start maternity leave after Sundays show this weekend.

EDIT-Deb confirmed on twitter Sunday is her last show.

1 Like

[quote=“SydneyCityTV, post:43, topic:101”]
I wouldn’t be surprised if Today Extra has more regular news updates but apart from that, the content remaining much the same as it is now. I doubt that either the “main” Today Show or Weekend Today will have any particularly major content changes.
[/quote] You can’t tell me that Extra will be more or equally serious as Today with Sonia Kruger hosting! Not too keen on the idea, would have preferred a brand new morning show, but won’t judge- yet![quote=“Salty, post:45, topic:101”]
Judging from press release it sounds like to me Deb will start maternity leave after Sundays show this weekend.
[/quote] Thanks, and is going to be missed. I assume Peter Stefanovic will now become the main fill-in for Georgie on 6PM News.

[quote=“Salty, post:45, topic:101”]
l don’t believe we will see any changes to the content of 'Weekend Today, the press release is just stating the hosting change with Deb on maternity leave.
[/quote] It just sounds really strange. Pete and Cam hosting, booooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrinnnngg!!! Permanent is definitely the way to go. Wendy or Natalia would have been just fine.

2 Likes

Probably for a different thread but I agree that we’re most likely to see Peter Stefanovic become Nine News Sydney’s third in line (after Pete & GG, of course) presenter while Deborah Knight is on Maternity Leave. We’ll probably see him present bulletins around Easter or when Peter Overton and/or Georgie Gardner go on their mid-year breaks, for instance.

1 Like