Today Tonight

Seven Adelaide breaches accuracy requirements

Channel Seven Adelaide breached the accuracy and fairness provisions of the Commercial Television Industry Code of Practice (the Code) during a report aired in March 2017 on Today Tonight. The report was about an online flower delivery business, Bloomex.

An Australian Communications and Media Authority investigation found Today Tonight misrepresented comments made by the then NSW Fair Trading Commissioner. Today Tonight incorrectly reported that the Commissioner had issued a public warning not to use the company, during an interview recorded for the segment. Instead, in pre-recorded comments not put to air, the Commissioner had only spoken about online flower sellers generally and noted complaints about Bloomex.

The ACMA’s investigation found the report failed to present factual material accurately, breaching clause 3.3.1 of the code. ‘The Code requires that licensees present factual material accurately in broadcasting news and current affairs programs. They must also ensure viewpoints included in the program are not misrepresented,’ said ACMA Chair, Nerida O’Loughlin.

‘This breach is an important reminder to broadcasters of their responsibilities to not distort statements made by third parties.’

Several other allegations of inaccuracy were found not to be in breach of the Code.

The ACMA and Seven Adelaide have agreed on actions to be taken by the licensee to avoid future breaches, including using the decision in future Code training for staff. Seven Adelaide also made appropriate corrections to the statements on the Today Tonight website.

More information about ACMA broadcasting investigations is available here. A copy of the investigation report is available on the website version of this release

IMG_6685
Yeah so Today Tonight is getting a bit out of hand… as interesting as this is and as most know the content is downhill at points. But I think having to come up with there own content is what is making hard especially when all the resources were lost from eastern states.

4 Likes

Something different, instead of the usual weather report as the last TT item, the 7 News ticker was put up instead. Adelaide doesn’t normally put up a ticker in the 4pm or 6pm news bulletins.

7 Likes

Looks like a new segment in Adelaide: Around the World in 90 Seconds

This week’s current affairs-worthy content:

• Wild hogs
  • Pandas playing in a Chinese zoo
  • Opening of the Gevora Hotel in Dubai
  • Battle of the Oranges in Italy

IMO this kind of content does not belong on a current affairs program. Content is meant to be locally/nationally orientated. This new segment is just filler content, nothing actually valuable. TT Adelaide has been a great example of serious current affairs, this is not what the program needs.

4 Likes

Noticed this a couple of weeks ago. When I saw it basically just bunch of YouTube videos.

Some caps of Adelaide TT tonight:

10 Likes

Not a lot has changed since last year that I can see.

I found this while going through some old recordings…

6 Likes

This evening Today Tonight Adelaide farewells its producer of 23 years Graham Archer, almost a year to the day after Frank Pangallo’s retirement.

5 Likes

Original TT Adelaide presenter Leigh McClusky and retired producer Frank Pangallo, just to name a few, were part of tonight’s special programme:

6 Likes

09/07/2018: Adelaide

Rosanna is having a break, Paul Makin is presenting for the next week or so.

2 Likes

Nice to have Tina Alteria back hosting tt Perth this week

2 Likes

Today Tonight in Perth has a new story transition graphic during the preview for tonight’s show in the Perth 4.00 News.

1 Like

@Biscuit45 is this it?

Also, tonight marks 11 years of Rosanna Mangiarelli hosting Adelaide’s Today Tonight, Amelia Mulcahy mentioned it at the end of the bulletin.

4 Likes

Yep, that’s the one! :slight_smile:

Wonder if we’ll get some graphics tweaks in Perth tonight… Something I’ve also been wanting to mention is the “Sports Extra” Title-Card has also changed, which had been the same even before the move from Dianella to Osborne Park, apart from a music intro tweak earlier this year.

1 Like

I believe Seven should return Today Tonight right across Australia. This would be best served as a national program airing at 6:30pm in Perth and Adelaide on 7 and could be screened at 7pm on the east coast on 7Two. This could also be encored on the main channel at 10:30pm at night perhaps with a 5 minute news update as a lead in

1 Like

Nope. TT failed when it was revamped in 2013, I don’t think it would work nowadays.

2 Likes

I am suggesting it from 2 points. Firstly, Seven produce a Perth and Adelaide edition - so it could save money. Secondly, if they actually invested in higher quality, more intriguing stories, they may capture an audience.

I suggested it be aired on 7Two on the east coast due to the probability it would be low rating

It’s been over four and a half years, the East Coast has surely moved on by now? Probably the only reason Today Tonight still exists in Adelaide & Perth is because their editions have long running hosts with the added benefit of high rating 6pm Seven News bulletins (again with newsreaders who’ve been their for decades).

And yes I’m aware there’s still A Current Affair airing on Nine in the East Coast markets, but Tracy Grimshaw is probably one of the main reasons that show is even still going…

1 Like

You just know Naomi has been sitting by the phone waiting for that call and practicing her earnest Ice Queen presenter pout in the mirror for the last 12 years. She may have even mastered reading the f-cking autocue by now, even if a word or comma is out of place in the script.

“Well f-ckwit you sit up here and you read the bloody autocue”- Naomi Robson.

11 Likes