Today 2003-2005

This period for Today could be described as the most inconsistent with the on-air presentation and presenters. Today were in a distressed state after they were wiped from the number 1 reign by newly created juggernaut Sunrise. This also marked the final two years of veteran host Steve Liebman.

Opener

Original 2003 Opener:

Modified Opener introduce early 2004:

6 Likes

Remember during this period they did Summer in the City and broadcasted from Sydney’s Intercontinental Hotel for a number of weeks.

2 Likes

2003 Set:

2004 Set:

In a hope to grab the ‘newer’ audience switching to Sunrise, Today tried for a set design of a more ostentatious style- bright colours- more of a relaxed presenting style. These things would have never been even considered just 18 months earlier.

Summer in the City:

6 Likes

2003 Graphics:

For the time in Today’s history they introduced a ‘ticker’. Sunrise was the first program in Australia to use one in December 2002.

2004 Graphics:

Slight modifications occurred by simply change the blue text and graphics to black

9 Likes

Today Show - Nine Network - 2003 - Birth Live on Air

6 Likes

Caps Taken from 29/08/2003

Sami Lukis was in HOng Kong reading the weather, Sharyn Ghidella reading news in studio.
Liebmann, Grimshaw and Richard Wilkins were in Hyde Park.
Video courtesy from As Seen on TV YouTube channel.

5 Likes

I miss the 2003 opener with the use of U2’s Beautiful day. I want them to bring it back.

6 Likes

Taken on 19 Nov 2004

Video courtesy from Leticia Sugui YouTube Channel.

7 Likes

Wednesday 25/2/2004

Opener:

News:

US Cross

Sport:

Finance:

Weather:

Live Crosses:

Phone Crosses:

Throw to break:

9 Likes

My favourite set of graphics/sets was in the 2003 - 2005 era (I still liked how the apartment set was used in 2006 - mid 2008 though I wasn’t a huge fan of the last update in mid 2008 - early 2009).

I loved how the graphics animated throughout the show (especially in 2005 with the today clock graphic) and the look of the 9 watermark as it was “lit up” when the middle super was present.

The 2004 set wasn’t too bad a set, kind of like a prelude to the 2005 Apartment set which as discussed on this forum many a time before was amazingly nice.

Thanks for uploading these gems @Zampakid, any chance of a video from where these caps have come from? All good if not.

Edit: Yes, I also loved the U2 Beautiful Day intro they used, they used the really nice parts of the song making it sound really nice overall.

5 Likes

Here’s the Opener

I’ll upload the other 50 minutes of it at a later date.

6 Likes

Ugh- Tony on sport. Told you Burling/Wick made last year’s Today feel like when they were last on the show 15 years earlier. Even the same sport presenter, lol- which I wasn’t aware of.

I quite like this set- the fake porch is nice but also adaptable if you don’t have a view.

6 Likes

Oh thanks so much!

That would be awesome if you could up the other 50 mins at some stage!

Much appreciated :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great to see this :grinning: Was also my favourite era of the program.

Also who was doing the finance segment?

3 Likes

Oriel Morrison :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Was Today broadcast in 16:9 widescreen/HD during this time?

1 Like

Thurday 13/5/2004

Opener:

News:

Finance:

Sport:

Weather:

Steve in Hong Kong:

Today’s Comment segment with Alan Jones:

Crosses:

Live shots:

misc:

15 Likes

A Windows 2000 PC on the 2GB set

1 Like

Give me that backdrop over a video wall any day!

1 Like

The 2003 set reminds me of TVNZ’s Breakfast in the late 90s as it seems familiar