Today (2015-Sept 2020)

They never have the set decorated on December 1. It’s usually the first Monday of December.

1 Like

For so long people on Media Spy have been crying for TODAY to mix it up and make it less Sydney centric and finally they put someone who’s not from the East Coast and your not happy with it? It’s hard to make a judgement on Brenton as he’s only hosted over summer last year. He seems a genuine and likable guy. With all the controversy over Karl, someone who is mellow won’t be a bad thing. It doesn’t hurt for TODAY to mix it up a bit over summer.

As for your list, Deb will be doing Sydney 6pm news, Tim Davies has no experience in hosting, Stevie Jacobs may be used on weather over the summer break, Charles Croucher may appear on Weekend Today. David Campbell needs holidays eventually and is still a musician.

6 Likes

Deb Knight will be hosting with Brenton Ragless tomorrow on TODAY

3 Likes

With Lara Vella presenting news, Erin Molan presenting sport and Stevie Jacobs presenting weather this week.

2 Likes

New Idea is reporting Sarah Harris is set to replace Georgie Gardner on Today.

If it’s in No Idea it’s guaranteed to be a load of bollocks, unfortunately.

10 Likes

"“One exec is pushing to bring her back to Nine where she started,” they added.

“He thinks they can easily get her out of Studio 10 with the promise of ratings and more money.”

So basically, no. They are trying but its all rumours at this point.
FAKE NEWS!

1 Like

The thing is though, they can continue to replace Karl’s co-host like they have done numerous times since he has been there. But if he isn’t shafted then I don’t see the show ever improving, it needs fresh blood. They continue to ignore the source of there problems.

5 Likes

Yeah I’m not a fan of Ragless either. Too much of a nice guy. Needs to be more opinionated as others have pointed out. Remembering Nine only started using him because Tim McMillan left. If Tim was still with the network that would be his gig.

1 Like

Yep, get another QLDer on board; that is exactly what the show needs.

Well actually, the team this week are more Sydney-centric than usual with one South Australian.

It will hurt them when they lose more viewers, especially when these viewers won’t return for the start of the ratings year. Obviously, most of you disagree with me, but here in Queensland, a consistent and present team for Seven News has allowed them to reclaim the number 1 title this year- just an apt example. Familiarity is important, particularly at breakfast.

As for Brenton, I didn’t watch this morning and won’t be for a little bit. I am only basing my opinions off what I saw last summer- he is very bland. Undoubtedly, he seems like a genuine guy but is he the best person to fill-in for Karl (from SA or otherwise)… no.

Not everything is correct here.

• Deb isn’t anchoring 6pm. She is filling-in for Georgie (which wouldn’t be the case if both hosts were not permitted annual leave at the same time).
  • Tim Davies did a stellar job when he co-hosted Today Extra earlier this year. He has also read the news on Today twice. He would be more than capable of co-hosting Weekend Today over summer- even permanently. Remember, before last summer, Brenton had only co-hosted WT once, before he filled in for Karl.

Is there such a thing as too much of a nice guy?

I do agree, that Brenton was only used when Tim quit. However, I didn’t find Tim that fabulous either- better than Ragless but not suitable.

1 Like

Do some viewers at home really only watch based on where someone was born? The vast majority wouldn’t know and wouldn’t care. It really doesn’t matter.

7 Likes

Personally I don’t really care where breakfast TV presenters come from just as long as they’re competent at their job. But I think the general public really like seeing their own city/state represented on national breakfast TV.

As much as I don’t have much time for Sunrise, one of the very few things they do well is having a mix of presenters that most states can connect with. Natalie Barr & Sam Mac from WA, Mark Beretta from Melbourne (I think), David Koch with his links to the Port Adelaide AFL club and Samantha Armytage with a media history in Sydney & Canberra.

Now let’s compare that to Today. Karl & Sylvia from Queensland, Tim Gilbert & Richard Wilkins from NSW, Natalia Cooper from Perth. Not sure which category to place Georgie Gardner in, because even though she’s originally from WA the majority of her media career (from the early days until now) has mostly been centred around Sydney & NSW. South Australia is only really represented when Brenton fills in while there’s nobody from Victoria, especially bad when Melbourne is one of Nine’s most important markets!

And I’ve only compared the weekday programs! Surely Weekend Today is the most blatantly Sydney-centric breakfast show on Australian TV in its choice of presenters?

“And her serious “agenda” interview every morning is hated by Nine execs.”

I wonder if this is true? I don’t really like it either. The Grill was better cause it was more of a discussion. I do wonder how frustrating it would be to come up with topics for that segment five days a week would be?

Koch made his name in Sydney. Sam Mac is from Adelaide. Natalie Barr has only come to prominence working in Sydney for over twenty years, so who would know she is from Bunbury unless they looked it up on Google like I did.

I think it doesn’t matter.

If Today had Tracy Vo and Stan Grant filling in then there would be comments from Hanson and Abbott supporters.

2 Likes

I knew about the former, but not really the latter - I just presumed Sam Mac was from Perth because if I’m not mistaken, he did breakfast radio or something there before presenting the weather on Sunrise.

I kind of want to see that happen one day! :slight_smile:

He was also born in Adelaide, and started his career in Adelaide, before going on to do a number of other things in radio and tv, before presenting the weather on Sunrise.

1 Like

Nat often mentions Bunbury & WA on the show. Its a well known fact. And yes @SydneyCityTV Sam did Breakfast Radio on Hit 92.9 in Perth with Lisa Fernandez & Basil Zemplais.

4 Likes

https://www.tvblackbox.net/shock-twist-is-sarah-harris-set-to-replace-karl-stefanovic/

:roll_eyes: When pure speculation based on a fake news story in tabloid magazines becomes a news story.

6 Likes

:roll_eyes:

Yes. And? Like Littlegezzy and others said, noone would really give two hoots.

Besides, Nine have lost the Melbourne market for 12 years running now. If we’re into conspiracies, Nine probably want to focus on retaining Sydney.

1 Like

As a network, I am not sure, but Nine News dominates in Melbourne and has been number 1 for about 6-7 years now. As for Today, they used to dominate in Melbourne when they had Lisa. Adam Boland spoke about it in his auto-biography (one of the main reasons he had Nuala Hafner in Melbourne for Wake Up). According to this article, Today was number 1 in Melbourne from 2008 to 2012- definitely- and as far as I know, were number 1 there until late last year.

2 Likes