Today (2015-Sept 2020)

Not to mention Sonia Kruger’s comments about Muslims, Tara Brown and her debacle of a 60 Minutes report, etc.

Peter Overton a far better newsreader/presenter than Karl Stevanovic (surely most people on this forum agree?), so I can understand why Nine would want to position Pete as their main go-to guy for major national coverage instead of Karl.

2 Likes

This would have been the perfect opportunity to add some fun to the show and dress up for Halloween like they do on the US Today show but it seems that sort of stuff doesn’t happen anymore.

2 Likes

But we’re not in America so not necessary.

7 Likes

from memory, didn’t Sunrise do an Indiana Jones dress up once (for Halloween or a new movie) then have to quickly change into normal clothes once a breaking story emerged? I may be crossing two stories here but regardless,no.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s highly risky with breaking news and not a good look for a news program.

3 Likes

You always have an opposing argument to anything I post. It doesn’t matter what it is. Does that get tiring?

Yeah Today dressed up for 80s show once and a breaking news story about a school bus crash happened like 5 mins later. Still its not just a news show.

1 Like

Agree on the not just a news show element, but it’s always fraught with risk

We’re still allowed to have differing opinions. What does that tell you about your ideas?

Exactly. It’s difficult to be serious when you need to.

Gotta have a dedicated newsreader with a delineated role. Having the newsreader in with the hosts as the third talent muddles things when it comes to breaking news production. Ah, the days of Roscoe.

1 Like

How many times they gonna bring in dogs to the set this year? I think they do it every 2 weeks now?

Garry Youngberry presented the weather from Noosa in Queensland this weekend.

2 Likes

Monday -
Sylvia is back reading news.

1 Like

Tuesday -
Tim Gilbert presented sport from Melbourne.

2 Likes

Here’s a good laugh for your Friday.

Happy to be corrected, but I think this is the first time they’ve referred to Uber-gate on air.

Nah Georgie mentioned it a while ago. They also did a MAFS piss take scene and mentioned it too for the channel 9 upfronts I would still love to see!

A few changes to the rundown in the week just gone:

• After the top two news stories at 7am with Georgie and Karl, Sylvia presents a brief news update for what is making news in each capital city (it is like The Project’s Metro Whip-Around)- the lead story in Melbourne, the lead story in Sydney. This is accompanied with a ‘First for [City] News’ transition’:

• Entertainment News now features at 6.45am, so it isn’t directly competing with Sunrise’s Showbiz News. What’s Making News was moved to 6.55am.
  • A few weeks ago, they returned to a brief intro at 7am, following the headlines and before the top story.
3 Likes

Saturday -
Peter in Melbourne with Jayne and Allison hosting in the studio.

Lara Vella is presenting the weather.

2 Likes

Video?

Is there any particular reason that Jayne Azzopardi is smiling her way through every bulletin? Even when reading the latest on the Melbourne attack, she’s smiling. It’s very strange and off putting.

3 Likes

I thought the same. I understand Today’s a less serious show than news but when there’s a news element incorporated into the show the presenter should treat it as such. Heck even Belinda Russell reads the news seriously these days.

1 Like