Today (2015-Sept 2020)

NINE STATEMENT

From Darren Wick, Director of News and Current Affairs:

“Nine and Karl Stefanovic have agreed it is time for him to step off the Today Show. Karl remains on contract with the network and will continue to host This Time Next Year, which records in February.

“For over 14 years Karl has been at the centre of the Today Show bringing his unique personality and perspective to the day’s news and current affairs.

“An announcement on the new line up and format of the Today Show will be made in the coming weeks.”

Karl Stefanovic said:

“For the last 14 years I’ve co-hosted the best show on television. I can’t thank Nine enough for the opportunity. I never in my wildest dreams thought I would be good enough to host this grand show for so long.

“Thanks to our viewers mostly, you are what matters most. It’s been a tough time. Thanks for hanging in there. I look forward to seeing you in another capacity at this great Network soon.”

1 Like

Personally, I always liked Karl so I am slightly sad to see him depart the show, but after all the ridiculous coverage he has had over the last few years, it was a necessary move.

Would be an excellent time for 10 to hop onto the breakfast bandwagon and steal some thunder for what will be the Today show relaunch next year.

10 Likes

It was a long time coming. It had to happen.

1 Like

I don’t like Karl as such, his boofhead impressions always feels cringeworthy.

Having said that, he’s been getting a lot of shits lately so it’s probably better for him to take a break.

3 Likes

Who magazine is run by Jasmine’s long time friend I think I read?

So is it official he’s gone now? No farewell show like Lisa… Ironically it’s Lisa’s birthday today too. All those videos on Youtube look silly now!

1 Like

It’ll be interesting to see what Karl does for his $3 million per year until his contract expires in 2020. I can’t see them letting him near Nine News as a presenter.

4 Likes

Tennis anyone? :tennis:

(Though they have just announced the commentary and hosting team._

Will be very interesting to see what direction they will take the show. The same male/female duo, a triple header, two females (in an attempt to get in before the Sam & Nat combo which has worked so well for Sunrise this year is cemented as earlier reported).

Either way, it will need to make an impact. There has to be a REASON to entice a viewer back to the show.

Woha, that’s big. End of an era, but for much needed changes.

5 Likes

Biggest media news story of 2018 so close to Christmas.

The end of an era at 9

10 launching “10 This Morning” with Karl and Lisa with Grant doing the weather

14 Likes

Wow, big news.

Good on them for finally making a move to address the fundamental issues with the show, I look forward to seeing what changes are in store for 2019.

2 Likes

Lisa never got a farewell show. Once she negotiated a deal with Ten, she was off the air. They just wished her good luck, after the fact. Will they do the same for Karl or choose to ignore the fact he’s gone?

2 Likes

Holy shit. Can you imagine that :o

4 Likes

Not for at least another year.

Fill-in as host of ACA?, a program that suits his style. Hosting the NSW and Federal election coverages? And maybe being a panelist on the three NRL talk programs, Monday, Thursday and Sunday?

1 Like

Please no.

Take gardening leave while he negotiates a deal with Seven to replace Kochie in 2020. :wink:

4 Likes

Well I think we all knew this was coming… It was just a matter of who was going to make the move and Nine clearly did.

Will be interesting to see the replacement of him. I could see Today going with a 2 female lead but time will tell.

3 Likes

Is this a joke or actual wish?