Ticker News

It’s an automatic process after Endemol submit the episode as a copyrighted show

3 Likes

It appears all fo the episodes have actually been submitted ahead of time for the season as well interestingly…

I found the copyright claims usually come in mid-morning the day after tx

2 Likes

Nice report mate :+1:

1 Like

Mics around 0:50 fucked, just like the real broadcast! Either that or she just yells ALL the time!

Also, they still use Windows 7! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Great story otherwise @Leo_Puglisi6.

2 Likes

You are doing a great job with a smaller team and no budget.

5 Likes

Thanks mate - 6 News is an ever expanding operation, can’t thank everyone enough (especially those of you on MS) for your support! And we’ll have something exciting to show you next Sunday as well…

3 Likes

How are they sourcing news footage and copy without field crews and journalists? Have they got resourcing deals in place with international wire services? There are a lot of unanswered questions here. How do people outside media junkies know about this service?

12 Likes

They don’t, thus why their streams never break about 20 viewers. Of course as I’ve covered a couple times here, the website proudly states a reach of “over 3 million Australians per month, across the website, app, Facebook, Twitter, Youtube and LinkedIn”, which is guaranteed to be bullshit.

Honestly it has all the hallmarks of a pet project funded by deep pockets from some mysterious source (I think we can probably take a guess what kind of source this is, but I wouldn’t dare speculate).

6 Likes

How are Ticker affording to pay all these employees as well as the studio expenses (power, internet, etc.) Surely a small start up like this (especially one only averaging under 10 viewers) isn’t turning large profits.
I don’t hate the idea of Ticker, but it does feel very passion project related and how long can they last before they run out of money?

3 Likes

They must be getting it from somewhere as they are introducing more live programming.

Although i notice Ahron has stopped replying here :frowning:

1 Like

Yeah I’m not surprised, he’s probably too busy hosting, running and re-launching Ticker than to worry about what some media spyers from the internet have to say.

8 Likes

Of course. Just thought he might try and defend the network at some point.

1 Like

With all due respect it’s an open forum, and you clearly have a bias that you can’t control considering you’ve appeared on Ticker’s programming a number of times and deleted posts in this thread after they’ve generated constructive criticism / critique.

Every critique of the operation in this thread is valid, nobody is attacking him personally. If he doesn’t want to address the critiques provided about his operation, that’s on him and implying that the members of this forum should go easy on him just so we get him participating in the thread is ridiculous.

22 Likes

This is great. It won’t happen overnight, but more voices in the media is never a bad thing. Ticker has been been pretty good at breaking news. I/we complain a lot, but for a service that’s only been around for less than a year, they’re certainly punching above their weight

1 Like

Knowing how Facebook in particular inflates its video stats, this may very well be possible

1 Like

You deleted your own post. I’m all for new media voices, but no service is above criticism just because people involved post here. Rob, for example, is well aware of this and takes it in his stride. The issue are there are some VERY young people involved who I have concerns about being pushed into positions they may not be ready for and could come unstuck and hurt themselves long term.

14 Likes

@blackbox Will this affect the start time of The BRR Show?

So Ticker Jumpstart is being cut, reduced to last 30 min of every hour?

Appreciate the feedback all. Good and bad. But there seem to be a few questions about our business model, happy to give some insight.

Ticker was started just over 10 months ago. We have no loans, no debt, no millionaire backer. It began with a group of friends trying to do something new, in a world of bad media headlines.

One thing I love about this forum is the constant push for better, one thing I dislike is the misunderstanding of the commercial realities of media.

It might not be known, but Ticker is a media business startup. We didn’t kick off with $5m and a pat on the back, we fight every day to create a better product and to develop new technology.

A few years ago, I saw a business model in the US called Cheddar. It began 5 years ago as a 20 minute a day Facebook Live shot on an iPhone on the floor of the NYSE. After 4 years, it built itself into a 17 hour a day network, streaming live online via apps and social media, and via cable TV.

Here’s a really interesting article about their journey that might help you understand Ticker as well.

Ticker is far from perfect, we are 10 months in. We don’t have grants or government funding, nor a billionaire willing to lose money on us for prestige.

For those pondering our imminent demise, we are commercially successful, and have been since month three. We are conservative but take risks on shows and staff. We are inundated with requests from PR agencies wanting to get their talent on Ticker, and our commercial department continually signs up new partnerships, even during COVID-19. Because we listen to the market. Every time they sign up, we reinvest in people and technology. Three new autocues in the last two weeks, a new audio deck (one of them stuck in the post), an entirely new IT network over recent weeks. In coming weeks we ring on broadcaster and journalist Adrian Franklin to expand our afternoons.

In ten months we have built two brand new studios, and extended our programming to 10 hours a day live. Cheddar took over two years to get to this point.

I’ve seen a couple of nasty comments about some of our staff on this forum, which I’d like to address.

I am incredibly proud of our team. Some of you think it’s wrong to hire a 19 year old in a prominent role. This year marks 20 since I first walked in the door of my first newspaper out of school ages 18. I had a lot to learn but didn’t know it. The thing that got me through was passion, which is why my editor chose me over the others who had gone to uni. One thing I’ve learned through the years is you can have experience, but no passion or drive. It can be like a see-saw as the industry wears people down. And I’m willing to back the young people with passion every day. I’ve seen experienced people end up cynical, and it leads to a toxic work environment.

17 years ago I walked into a workplace where I was bullied for being young. I learned to ignore the haters then and focus on the product, thanks to a great news director. These days bullying has the opposite impact on me.

I’m truly excited to wake up every day, and Ticker has a great work culture. Unbeknown to me until this afternoon, Jack Nyhof was in the studio all weekend to prepare the show for a move to the newsroom tomorrow. I log on here to find people having a go at him. He is one of the best, and most professional people I have ever worked with.

A lot of people on this forum have complained over the years about the concentration of Australian media, or about global media in general. Yet I’ve read posts from those same people in this thread who seem to hope Ticker will fail. If only billionaires start networks, I worry for the industry.

The really good news is we make more money every month than the month before. Our strategy works. For those asking about our equipment - well I owned a lot of it prior to starting Ticker, but we constantly upgrade. We don’t rely on ads, because you can’t - or subscriptions, because we can’t afford a multi million dollar marketing campaign to get them to sign up. But we’re working on it.

When I went for an interview at Win TV aged 16, the news director lamented on how bad the ad market was back then. I think of that all the time. It’s never been amazing, you just have to make it work.

CMO has asked how we are known outside of MS. Well part of our business model involves using social media ads to target the customers of our commercial partners. We reach over 4 million Australians every month with this strategy, and our app has been extremely successful. We often audit our shows for views, and the growth has been unbelievable.

We do need to to focus more on marketing, and we are doing that. But first, we hire a social media director to grow our base. Every week we have to choose what to spend our profits on.

There’s a lot of excitement and buzz amongst the advertisers and PR agencies we work with about Ticker’s business model and the way we deliver ROI. This is a model I’ve developed from scratch, and is unique to Ticker. But it works extremely well for us.

Our aim is to constantly increase the polish of our product.

Ticker is a work in progress but we have our foot on the pedal as hard as we can go. Most great businesses didn’t start perfectly, and I’m surprised by the people on this forum who expect us to be.

We are entrepreneurs and we try and fail and try again. Ticker today is different to two months ago and we have some really cool stuff coming up soon, including all new graphics which we have invested heavily in.

We are bringing on more reporters soon. But we don’t need to do picture deals. That’s a thing of the past. There are many other ways to get TV pictures these days. I have plenty of experience producing content with few resources. I know that upsets a lot of you, but it’s the reality of the media today. I’m trying to create a sustainable media business.

But I’ll finish with this. Nasty comments on Mediaspy about Ticker have no impact on my drive or ambition or focus. They have no sway on our board of directors, because we don’t have any. We don’t owe 500 million dollars to anyone. we are disrupting a tired formula and that’s never popular amongst the old guard. But disruption is overdue. I could have taken this idea overseas, but I love our media industry and I want to add, not take away.

We have grown from a team of one to a team of 12 people whom we pay, train and support, and that doesn’t include the many external hosts who broadcast their shows on Ticker every day of the week.

We are constantly approached by companies wanting to align their brand with us and host shows with us.

We’ve given journos who have been made redundant a lifeline at a terrible time for the industry.

But most of all, we are positive media organisation. So come along for the ride!

27 Likes