The Voice

Big Brother (like many shows of its kind) was never really promised as a form of high brow entertainment.

The Voice on the other hand, used to be excellent but nowadays it’s bordering on unwatchable. Between the excruciating ad-breaks, judges‘ antics, not getting to know the contestants well at all and fake drama is too much for this viewer. Even though its production values seem impressive compared to X Factor (I personally disagree, they’re both just as good IMO), it’s far from quality television.

4 Likes

You’re right about the contrived drama- the pitching is too drawn out and the fake fights are annoying. Don’t even get me started on the ad breaks
However I do think it is good entertainment value - there’s no shows currently on Aussie TV which focuses on music (AGT and Masked Singer air later in the year) and obviously with theatres/festivals/concerts cancelled this is a way of getting some form of “live” music.
I personally find the battles more bearable - they tend to get through those rounds faster without as much talking.
The big problem is they draw out the blind auditions so it lasts 10 episodes but then they cram the knockouts, battles and finals all into 10 episodes as well.

2 Likes

Agreed - we don’t need to hear every contestant’s backstory in the blinds - a simple name, age, and state they live in is fine. Once they progress further, they can give a bit more information and I would be more interested in hearing their backstory once they go through to the finals.
Airing out everyone’s backstory in the blinds is just information overload and we won’t remember anything about them next round.

1 Like

Last night was a good example of why the block isn’t great. When 3 judges turn, and 2 are blocked, a contestant has to go with the remaining judge by default. In last nights example the singer wanted Kelly but had to go with Guy.

Takes away from the point of difference of The Blinds with the contestant choosing their mentor.

2 Likes

I don’t think the block does anything except create drama. There’s no advantage for a contestant if a coach blocks another coach from getting you, all it does is let the coaches fight and carry on.
Reinforces that The Voice is for ‘entertainment’ more than just a ‘singing show’. Most likely why it continues to rate well but doesn’t produce any real stars.

1 Like

If you look at the promo closely it’s easy to figure out what happened. Guy completed his team last night but somehow is the only one of the coaches to turn around for a singer tonight which is what the reference to breaching the rules is about.

This looks like fake producer manufactured drama as your button is usually disabled once you fill your team so you wont be able to turn around.

6 Likes

Thanks. I assume it wasn’t his fault that his button wasn’t disabled, so it’s probably not really ‘cheating’. Seems like it’s a lot of fabricated drama for something that could’ve been sorted out in about 2 minutes.

1 Like

Has there been more episodes of the blind auditions than previous years?

No, 10 eps of blind auditions seems to be normal. I think they drag it out too much though towards the end when it could be condensed to 8-9 instead.

3 Likes

It is so dragged out. I think I have heard them talking about feeling sorry for the contestants when they breathe at least once a week. And the story about feeling bad when not turning their chairs. I even think they used some of the same footage that they showed last week for contestants they didn’t turn their chair for.

1 Like

Yeah it’s like this every year - so many sob stories and now they’re doubling up on footage as well? They could cut the blinds to 6-8 eps and leave more time for later rounds.
We don’t need to hear feedback from all the coaches for every contestant and the backstories are pointless. 3/4 of the contestants will be kicked off before public voting even begins. They’ve even started giving backstories to contestants who don’t turn a chair

The description for next week’s episodes:

Sunday 7:00pm: The Battles 1
The Battles begin. The top 48 pair off to fight for a place in the showdowns.

Monday 7:30pm: The Battles 2
The Battle round continues with one of the most controversial match ups in the history of The Voice that causes a deep division within the Coaches.

3 Likes

The singing and music is mostly good, and I like the banter between the 4 judges.

I much prefer the Blind Auditions to the Battles. After the Blinds are finished, I probably won’t watch much of it again until the Grand Final.

1 Like

Guy’s hinted about having a disagreement with one of the female coaches about 2 of his contestants during the battles. Kelly later confirmed in a radio interview that it was her.
I’m guessing this has something to do with either Bukhu, or maybe he’s formed a duo seeing as he has 13 contestants in his team.

Ur kidding me

That’s very exaggerated and it seems you would like to put more focus on the judges instead of remembering what the show is for? Remember this show is a singing show.
(don’t take offence)

That would be too late

The so-called cheating scandal just aired on the east coast. Was that it? All that hype, and was really a non-event.

Anyone really surprised with how it actually unfolded? :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Not taking any offence - it’s just annoying how they have sob stories for so many contestants. All the backstories are supposed to let us get to know the contestant, but if they’re showing 8 different contestants in the same episode we’re not going to remember anything.
In contrast, if they expanded on their backstory in the battles/playoffs when there’s less singers on the show it would probably stick more in our heads.
The whole point of sob stories is to make viewers ‘feel’ and ‘empathise’ with them, so I don’t think it’s ‘too late’ to show them in the later rounds. Seeing as public voting doesn’t even start until midway through the finals, airing them closer to the finals would make sense.

Wasn’t at all surprising - did not deserve all that hype either.
Once again, 9 strikes again with the over-the-top dramatised promos (which have proven to be effective :roll_eyes:)

2 Likes

The wrong decision was made here by the producers… it’s not fair to the other coaches or contestants… don’t want to elaborate on it just yet at the risk of spoiling it for SA and WA viewers.

2 Likes

Oh absolutely - let’s not give it away until after everyone has watched it all. But have you guys seen the promo for the battles?? Looks like Guy’s ‘scandal’ isn’t as easily resolved next week when it looks like everyone doesn’t think what he’s doing is fair

2 Likes