The Project (2015-Sept 2020)

Well The Project did a story on MND and the fundraising on Friday, previewing the events at the MCG on Monday.
https://tenplay.com.au/channel-ten/the-project/extra/season-8/ice-bucket-daniher

Her launch for this year’s range was probably planned months ago. Perhaps it could have been delayed once they knew of the other event but I don’t think it was “strategically timed their appeal to ride on the back of the Big Freeze”.

Wasn’t Carrie doing beanies for her charity before MND came up with the idea?

6 Likes

Was just going to say this. The Project story is the only place I have heard about the MND charity, and I consume a lot of media.

ETA: I hope both charities raise lots of money and awareness.

5 Likes

Quite successful. Women’s and Unisex beanies have already sold out. Only Kids beanies left now.

Message on the website from Carrie:
I can’t apologise enough that we have sold out of some of our stock already! ​We can only estimate how many we will sell and even though we produced four times as many beanies as last year, Australia’s generosity has blown us away once again. The good news is, if your beanie of choice is no longer available, that you can still support our charity by donating.

5 Likes

A very emotional Carrie at the start of The Project tonight thanking everyone for their support.

She said that they had originally planned to launch a couple of weeks ago but the beanies were delayed and then hadn’t taken note of the clash yesterday. She wished they had waited a few days now and said she was gutted to hear people would think that they would try to derail the other campaign.

Pete added that MND had sold out of their beanies before The Project even went to air and they had a very successful fundraising event. They had both spoken to Neale Daniher and they support each others causes.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/carrie-bickmore-says-sorry-honestly-it-was-completely-unintentional/news-story/df9582bd08b1686f78cbac04ead37b53

12 Likes

Carrie’s statement

8 Likes

Carrie made a mistake, but the backlash against her was totally unnecessary.

2 Likes

I don’t even think you should say it was a mistake. This was another case of a newspaper writing a nasty story based on a few nasty tweets they saw. Poor journalism yet again.

8 Likes

I totally agree with both of you. Yesterday there were four different stories about this on the Herald Sun website. Total overkill. I don’t watch The Project and I’m not on Twitter so if it wasn’t for the Herald Sun I would’ve been none the wiser about what happened.

The print media is out of control. We all know that Herald Sun, and presumably most/all of the News Limited papers are officially classified as ‘tabloids’, but gee, I wish they’d cut back on the crap and focus on the real stories.

7 Likes

Friend of mine posted this:

6 Likes

A lot of unnecessary comments about The Project on multiple articles about Ten entering voluntary administration.

“If you want a belly laugh, look online at Aly and his wedding photos.”

“Hey Wally, AL Jezz tv are hiring. You may find some friends there. You have none in Australia.”

“No more of The Project, thank god!”

“Does this meant the end of the project? I don’t want any of our commercial networks to go broke. My only enjoyment is to know the project is gone!”

These trolls obviously don’t know the meaning of ‘business as usual’…

7 Likes

Considering it’s one of tens highest rating shows it won’t go anywhere.

Not sure why people bring race into criticism of Waleed.

9 Likes

One of the biggest problem with social media especially on twitter is one persons opinion can at times be followed by trolls jumping on the bandwagon.
Sydney also had the Gold Telethon on Monday so why didn’t the whingers on twitter carry on about that.Carrie wasn’t trying to steal anyone’s thunder and no charity owns a particular day.
Slow news day so see what trolls are saying on twitter instead of focusing on real news

5 Likes

While the timing probably could’ve been a little better on The Project’s behalf, the outrage is a bit ridiculous IMO!

Besides, all charities are in competition for your money anyway.

1 Like

This is totally a non issue for me, both are great charities and this is why I have a problem where certain days of the year are marked for special charity days like these and daffodil day. Yes they are significant but you shouldn’t have to pick one over the other.

I agree with th sentiment that there was no harm done. But still a day shouldn’t just be dedicated to one specific charity cause st the expense of other charities wanting to do something on a day. It just doesn’t make sense and it’s kinda like charity censorship.

The over blown reaction on social media was in my opinion over blown. No charity is better than the other , they are wonderful causes. My grandfather had motor nurone disease but does that mean I should just pay attention to that specific charity because it’s been hosting and promoted by afl and the what on a specific day of the year . No it doesn’t. Both charities can be held on same days without it being turned into competition of who’s better .

3 Likes

I agree.
Both Freeze MND and CB4BC have done extremely well this year and have sold out of record amounts of beanies. Given that their product is so similar it works well for both of them that they’re both getting publicity at the same time, and it’s not like they could have sold more even if they wanted to given they’ve sold out.

2 Likes

Is that Sky News on the monitors in the background? Left watching the right :slight_smile:

3 Likes

https://www.facebook.com/TheProjectTV/videos/10154681558038441/
The jab at all the ridiculous speculation regarding the ramifications of Ten’s entry into voluntary administration on The Project tonight was so good - the perfect way to approach it I think.

1 Like

It’s fine if they don’t like the show. There’s lots of TV shows I don’t like or find offensive also. But to actively cheer the thought of the show being canned and the dozens of people involved out on their ear, and to piss off the viewers that actually do like the show, that’s just a bit sad. And on what basis do they actually dislike the show? How does its existence actually impact on their lives in any way?

talking to some people today and you’d think Carrie Bickmore woke up on Monday morning and decided to personally stab every AFL player and supporter because she wanted to sell a beanie.

Just the total lack of perspective and that whole “how dare someone take the limelight off the football”. Like, seriously, is there no room for both charities to exist on the same day. And interesting that there was no outrage for Channel 9 who, horror of horrors, decided to hold a telethon on the same day as well.

10 Likes

Perhaps they lost their TV remote, have no Foxtel or streaming service and are strapped to a chair in front of a TV tuned to 10. Without actually watching The Project it’s hard to see how you can be so upset about the content.

Tonight - Peter accidentally pulls the plug on the network.

10 Likes

As far as I can tell, many viewers don’t like The Project and are cheering on the thought of the show being axed quite simply because of Waleed Aly’s involvement in the show and the fact that he’s brown/a Muslim.

2 Likes