The Latest

Yes I read it, and your statement isn’t correct.

I’ve lived in Asia at times for many years and I’m very familiar with HK and other parts of Asia.

But I have no interest in getting into a slanging match.

You have your opinion, I have mine. Without knowing who you are or your level of experience I can only say I have lived and worked in various parts of the world in various forms of media for many years… for what it’s worrh.

And there is little point in comparing what once was… media has been and is being massively disrupted… what worked or was profitable 5, 10, 20 years ago, won’t necessarily work now.

I’ve also lived in Asia for most of my life and being an Asian myself I am very familiar with Asian habits and lifestyles. We wake early, we sleep early. You’re right though in the fact that Hong Kong is a bit different from many parts of Asia and habits there seems to be more ‘Westernised’.

Back on topic, although the ratings have been fairly disappointing for Seven I do hope they keep it in the future. It is a good investment from them which we haven’t seen in a long time and is one that should be encouraged, whether the ratings agree or not.

1 Like

Can’t argue with that… I guess my experience is just different.

Maybe I had friends who like to party too much.

1 Like

I personally would’ve thought the answer to that question is rather obvious: Because many Australians actually have to wake up pretty early, which would also explain why Seven & Nine have news programs on-air as early as 5am.

2 Likes

Can’t argue with that, although another reason would surely have to be trashing the post 9:30 slot with nothing worth watching due to bloated reality and EPGs running overtime, leading to inconsistent starting times that viewers can’t keep up with?

1 Like

Have they been disappointing?

Have the ratings been disappointing?

How is The Latest rating compared to other 10.30 shows on Seven last summer and last year?

Do you have that context?

No one here does. So we have no idea

6 Likes

Hong Kong is much more a late night city given the nature of the high rise in the city and has a late night lifestyle unlike any Australian city. Would love the networks to give news a go, however with commute times getting longer in Australia meaning a lot of us are on the road before 6am, not sure the audience can stay awake after 10 pm all that often.
I reckon a 9pm 1hr The Latest news/Tonight Live is the way to go

Bullshit, news in the US starts at 4am or 4.30am. It isn’t unique, the issue is the late news is NEVER local, that’s the news that rates. Late(ish) local news (9.30ish) would have a chance if done properly.

Have to agree. love to see local news later in the evening.

I must admit I prefer slow news late at night… Recaps of the day’s big stories - more in-depth, longer interviews… gentle pace (to match the time of night… a time to relax and completely unwind)… Clive Robertson was a great exponent of this…

After the cricket I have to switch off Musher… I can’t even have it on in the background… the quick-grab ‘internet’ style news is all a little too punchy for me at that time…

But then again that’s just me…

3 Likes

That’s an interesting point… the most successful of the late night news programs (arguably) were hosted by Clive and Graham Kennedy.

In both instances the news was simply a vehicle to showcase the talents of the 2 “anchors”

Maybe someone like Mark Humphries could reinvent that wheel?

2 Likes

Interesting you say it’s “punchy”, I actually feel it is less rushed and more in depth. Perfect for that time slot.

3 Likes

This is how breaking news is done, reading it hot off the printer.

7 Likes

Ha! Nice piece of showmanship there :grinning:
Just a tad contrived… but it looked good.

Reading breaking news off wires? The 1960s want their breakthrough back.

4 Likes

It works though. This is easily one of the best commercial news bulletins on air. Hopefully it stays on.

8 Likes

It absolutely does… nothing like a bit of theatre

Found myself watching out of habit the last couple of nights. Pretty awesome for a commercial bulletin, and well paced for its later timeslot.

Nine News at 6 feels like blunt force trauma to the skull in comparison.

7 Likes

I take that you must’ve watched the Queensland bulletin right :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

The latest used standing presentation for the Brexit Story last night. Looked quite good actually.

6 Likes