The Latest

They did do what you suggested - Abbey Gelmi explicitly threw to The Latest at the end of the BBL coverage and the program began straight away after that

To be fair, the tweets shown were reactions to Penny Marshall’s death so they had a purpose. If they were showing celebrity tweets for the sakes of it, I would agree with you wholehardly

The danger with viewer interaction is that sometimes the viewers don’t interact - which, I reckon, is what happened last night when they promoed audience reaction and ended up showing celebrity tweets.

I’m all for getting the viewers involved… but you need a sure fire strategy that will fire up the audience… and have a face saving alternative.

They don’t need to post something at 10:30pm for viewer interaction, they could post something in the afternoon or throughout the day. For example yesterday they could have posted ‘Tonight on The Latest, Michael Usher will be discussing the legalisation of cannabis in Australia…do you think it should be made legal?’. Again, this could be posted throughout the day, not necessarily running Tweets from throughout the program.

1 Like

Yeah sure why not… just sayin sometimes getting viewers involved is difficult.

And last night being the first show wouldn’t have helped since the audience wouldn’t have known to get involved during the day

1 Like

Also looking on Twitter is probably the wrong place. You get way more comments on a Facebook post.

1 Like

Copyright issues and Seven may have you shut down for that… I’d very careful.

I didn’t watch it, I mean I live in W.A what would be the point, delayed news doesn’t sit well, so I’ll just get my late news from ABC News channel. From what I saw of the stuff posted here it does look good.

3 Likes

Amanda Vanstone and Jim Molan on tonight’s program.

The cross near the end of the cricket with a preview of tonight’s headlines had the full version of the theme.
Also - a bit one-sided with the guests tonight - maybe someone else couldn’t come, but interesting to have two commentators from the same party.

Tonight’s opener

Breaking News Graphics:

10 Likes

So far it looks like they have cut back on showing Usher during live crosses which is a plus.

3 Likes

30 minutes is not long enough. They need at least 45 or ideally one hour.

It is awkward when musher is always interrupting the guest/reporter to wrap things up.

Last night’s bulletin seemed very rushed at times. The vibe I got was, “Yep ok we’re giving you the latest news but we’re constantly running out of time, so we gotta be quick.”

7 Likes

The show will no doubt tweak the format and use of graphics as the weeks progress. It’s great having a late bulletin.

10 Likes

I do love this show. I kinda like how it’s a bit fast paced.

9 Likes

I hate how he is rushing all the time

3 Likes

Yes, it’s almost like I’m watching a 7 NEWS channel, with a few tweaks, this would make a great 6pm bulletin.

The coverage about the Sydney storms was very good and it shows the advantage of a late bulletin. Michael Usher is a great presenter, but it slightly bothers me how he interupts reporters, seems like they may be rushing a bit. However, I like the fast paced format and wouldn’t really like it if it became a 1 hour bulletin. Maybe a 45 minute bulletin would be good for something not too long and not too rushed.

8 Likes

Yeah they could add another half hour, do a little sport, a weather preview and look at tomorrow’s papers.

I wonder if Nine or Ten relaunch late bulletins if they’ll copy the live cross instead of pre-packaged reports concept.

Different music throwing to the break.

3 Likes

… and I liked it!

1 Like

Sean Power the producer who is responsible for the formation of this broadcast deserves to be recognised because he is highly talented and has taken 7 News in a new direction with this. I look forward to seeing more.

16 Likes