The Blacklist

Someone posted a comment at TV Tonight today that season 8 of The Blacklist is now streaming on Netflix (with each episode available a few days after the US), so I went to the website to have a look and it was correct.

(the screencap shows the first 4 episodes but Netflix is now up to episode 10, same as America)

1 Like

I wonder if Seven are aware of this? They risk losing many viewers by the time it goes to air in Australia because a lot of people will already have seen it on Netflix.

The first 12 episodes of the season are up on Netflix and I have watched them all. So it seems that when an episode goes to air in the United States, it goes onto Netflix immediately after.

I’m sure they would be aware of streaming rights for their shows. Maybe they don’t have first run rights to The Blacklist any more. Whatever the case, I’m sure it only affects a handful of people still watching this show. :wink:

Series 8 premieres on Seven Sunday 2 May at 10:55 PM

2 Likes

With her exit, James Spader, Harry Lennix, and Diego Klattenhoff are the only original cast members left on the show.

The season 8 finale will stream on Netflix in Australia on June 24 and air on Seven (expected after the Tokyo Olympics).

UPDATE 25/6: series creator and EP Jon Bokenkamp had also left the series, coinciding with the broadcast of season 8 finale in the US this week.

1 Like

NBC has moved The Blacklist from its Friday timeslot to Thursday, and will premiere the 9th season on October 21.

1 Like

Will Seven bother with the next series given when the current one is shown?

Diany Rodriguez (Law & Order: Organized Crime) is joining the 9th season in the recurring character of Weecha Xiu.

Season 9 premieres on Seven Sunday 27 March at 10:55 PM.

1 Like

About time. Assuming Netflix didn’t pick the local rights up again given season 8 aired there before it aired on Seven.

Probably the best network drama on tv ATM. It’s great they’ve managed to keep it on the main channel.

Netflix have pretty much global rights to The Blacklist. No doubt it will be there eventually - possibly next day (after Seven) again. Season 8 was a bit weird when they got ahead of Seven but then again Seven had been on a bit of a penny pinching exercise so maybe they relinquished 1st run rights to it at the time (ala Greys, Simpsons), or it was an oversight by someone.

1 Like

Thanks, wasn’t sure of how it worked prior to last season. I only got into the show during lockdown so watched the first seven seasons back to back and then season 8 as it dropped each week.

1 Like

I should add that most of Netflix’s rights for The Blacklist are secondary to any local broadcast rights.
I have since heard that there may in fact have been a one off deal between Seven and Netflix last season that allowed Netflix to roll out ahead of Seven. Likely to have been a few $ involved that Seven no doubt would have lapped up at the time.

1 Like

Out of this Sunday’s schedule. Back in next week’s.

1 Like

I wonder what that means for Netflix as they upload the same episode aired on 7. Maybe they’re going to have to wait a week too.

Deadline reports that the 10th season of The Blacklist has been bumped to a midseason start in the US but is still expected to be a full season. The reason is that the NBC wants to have a comedy on Friday nights in the first part of 2022-23 season (September to November).

The Blacklist will be shown on Mondays in addition to Sundays from 20 June.

1 Like

NBC has announced the 10th season will premiere on Sunday, February 26, as part of its midseason schedule.

1 Like