The Bachelorette

Sophie told Herald Sun’s Luke Dennehy on yesterday’s Logies red carpet that filming would start in June.

I think history will show that this “stunt” casting will tarnish the brand long term, even though this will probably outrate the Georgia Love season.

Expect big premiere figures, before a swift drop-off.

When have TV programmers ever thought of the long term? It’s all about tomorrow’s ratings.

1 Like

I honestly think this is the best casting decision. The show hasn’t got much longer anyway.

1 Like

That’s defeatist.

Or realist.

Isn’t that a Pokemon ability?

I agree. Sophie brings so much to the show. For starters she is 37 so a little bit older than previous Bachelors/Bahcelorettes, so we will probably see some more diverse casting and older contestants rather than just the typical 20 somethings. Plus Sophie is hilarious and a huge personality which we often don’t get with our Bachelor and Bachelorette (who are usually quite wooden and boring).

I also don’t see how this will tarnish the show in the long term. If anything it’s all the other reality dating shows that are going to tarnish this show in the long term, so a casting choice like this was probably needed to combat that.

Personally I think they’ve got the casting perfect this year. Matty J and Sophie are MUCH more interesting casting choices than Richie and Georgia Love were.

1 Like

A deperate network meets a desperate model.

1 Like

Silly article focusing on TBL. Not sure how it’s desperate when all previous versions of The Bachelor and Bachelorette have done well especially in demos. I just think it’s a smart casting choice which will make it stand out above a lot of the other dating shows. There already seems to be plenty of buzz and water cooler talk about Sophie and it hasn’t even been filmed yet.

IMO, Sophie Monk becoming the next Bachelorette just further emphasises my opinion about this show (and to be fair, others in the genre) probably being more about people trying to boost their media profile rather than actually finding love.

Of course it pretty much goes without saying that I will not be watching (although I’ll inevitably be subjected to some “highlights” via the promos and probably also Gogglebox) but then again, I’m most likely not in the target demographic for these type of shows.

2 Likes

But a lot of it is negative which could backfire.

1 Like

Any publicity is good publicity.

2 Likes

Sophie is casting gold. She’s as rough as guts and brutally honest. She will take no prisoners and call out those who are there merely for 15 mins of fame. The show needed someone with some gusto after a lot of viewers didn’t warm to Georgia Love due to her nice persona came across as fake last year.

3 Likes

An admirable quality?

Better than being fake IMO and will provide plenty of entertainment.

3 Likes

Yeah. There’s nothing fake about this show. :joy:

No shit Sherlock. I was referring to the person, not the show.

2 Likes

Except for the plastic surgery she’s had. :laughing:

http://thefix.nine.com.au/2015/01/29/23/00/the-evolution-of-sophie-monks-face