Ten (WIN)

Does anyone know what channels the folks in Kingscliff get? Does the GC signal reach that far?

1 Like

Yes. Lots of people there have antennas for the Gold Coast stations.

4 Likes

Yes, I saw a WIN Network program sponsor promo last night on The Living Room.

4 Likes

Yes houses to as far down as Pottsville to as inland as Murwillumbah have antennas for both GC/Brisbane & Lismore channels

3 Likes

I began back in the analogue days before aggregation so in addition to the local RTN 8, they could receive 3 the metro stations from Brisbane.

I’d say it has continued partly because it is a big holiday area with lots of visitors from Queensland. So Brisbane tourists can travel interstate and still get to watch their local TV stations.

5 Likes

WIN’s new sponsor billboard for their 10 stations:

11 Likes

Interesting that they’re not treating NNSW as “Ten on the WIN Network” like they are with Nine.

7 Likes

Here’s a restyled Crawfords version:

4 Likes

That can’t be the only reason. I think the broadcasters and ACMA just haven’t bothered to find a commercially viable solution in the 30 years since aggregation.

Which of the six Gold Coast broadcasters (or technically five as NBN/QTQ are both owned by Nine) actually have the rights to the license area if it were to be reduced to 3?

If the eventual mergers of the regional and metro broadcasters doesn’t happen any time soon, my idea would be to setup JVs between the affiliates and the Brisbane broadcasters and reduce to just 3 commercial transmissions.

2 Likes

The licence of the area is for Richmond Tweed part of NNSW. The reception of the Gold Coast stations including Brisbane is fortuitous out-of-area reception requiring a higher than normal gain antenna.

2 Likes

Then why does Gold Coast get Brisbane Metro and NNSW?

And if it requires a high gain antenna, explain how I am in a hotel room on Level 3 with a wall blocking the view to Mt Tamborine and I’m getting reception with Kmart Rabbit Ears?

2 Likes

As explained above, it is a legacy of the Gold Coast falling in between the coverage areas of Brisbane and Richmond-Lismore, so it ended up with local translators for the Brisbane stations and the Lismore ones. When aggregation happened, because RTN8 had a local translator there then NBN and Prime ended up doing the same. So viewers ended up with six commercial channels.

Similar occurred on the Central Coast in NSW where they have both Newcastle/Northern NSW and Sydney stations, although IIRC the Ten affiliate (now WIN) has opted out of covering some of the central coast sites.

7 Likes

Gosford and Bouddi never had a regional 10 transmission on digital, or analogue either I think…

So WIN are effectively now sponsoring themselves?

4 Likes

In this case, WIN are now sponsoring WDT! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

4 Likes

This thread should be not locked if SCA buys back NRN.

It won’t be as WIN operates other Ten stations in various markets.

6 Likes

Which can be covered in the main WIN thread. The “various markets” that WIN operates its other Ten stations (not counting JVs) are the Griffith monopoly and the SA monopoly, I don’t see threads specifically for WIN’s Seven stations in those markets because there’s no real sense in having one.

2 Likes

Is there news anywhere that SCA is looking at buying back the NRN licence?

I didn’t think they had any money?

1 Like

I disagree. There just hasn’t been discussion about it. We have no issue if someone were to create a thread for Seven (WIN) discussion. I don’t think talking about Seven or Ten stuff in a thread named Nine (WIN) would be right.

4 Likes

Very doubtful as Northern NSW is a large market revenue wise. And doubtful SCA has the money.
SCA were silly to sell in the first place, but the money offer from WIN must have been too good to pass up not knowing if TEN were still going to be a going concern or not, who knows?
If anything, WIN may seek to sell NRN to TEN?

1 Like