Ten Sport

Melbourne Cup Carnival Promo

I think 10 and Optus should band together to bid for the 2023-2028 AFL broadcast rights. This will not only ensure competition in sports streaming, but also loosen Telstra and News Corp’s stranglehold on Australian sports. My very early draft plan for the 10-Optus bid looks like this:
10 gets TV and digital rights to four matches each week (Friday night, Saturday twilight, Saturday night and Sunday twilight) plus Easter Monday, Anzac Day and Queen’s Birthday games. 10 to show twilight matches so not to clash with Supercars coverage and will also ensure the network to be competitive on Sunday evenings.
10 also gets replay rights to their allocated matches, meaning they can be replayed on 10Bold or 10Peach during the week
Optus to stream all nine matches per week live, with two matches simultaneously live on separate channels on Saturday afternoon, Saturday night and Sunday afternoon
10 to show and stream Brownlow Medal and all finals exclusively live
The “home state rule” to be dropped, i.e. matches involving non-Victorian teams will not necessarily be shown on FTA into their home state

All FTA networks will have to partner up with each other and put aside their rivalries in the future if they want sports and to remain viable.

In times when sports rights are killing the networks, working together against a tough, determined Fox is the only way out.

Ten will need to get at least some broadcast rights to the AFL and/or NRL when the next broadcast deals come up for re-negotiation. Even though it’s still a while off yet, you’d hope that CBS understands how critical these football codes are to the success of any TV network in the Australian market.

Agreed. I’d like this post twice if I could!

I’m fully expecting to see a combination of at least two FTA networks for the next AFL & NRL broadcasting rights deals, with packages for different nights of the main seasons & key events (Grand Finals, State of Origin, Brownlow/Dally M Medal telecasts, etc.) on different networks from year to year. But enough of the speculation for now.

We should start speculation again when discussions for the next AFL/NRL rights open in 2020?

Optus would want NRL rights. A 10-Optus NRL joint deal is possible

I know that the Seven’s AFL broadcasting contract will end at the end of 2022 season, while the Nine’s NRL broadcasting contract will end at the end of 2022. The prices for the 2023-28 broadcasting rights will be much higher - AFL ~ $3.2 billion, while NRL ~ $2.5 billion. I wouldn’t be surprised if TEN or Seven get NRL and Nine get AFL.

I don’t see it. Optus have not shown any appetite to produce Australian sport.

Production may end up going in house and distributed much like the Premier League did/does, meaning they just need to have enough peddling bikes to keep the stream going.

The AFL will ensure this remains in place for NSW and QLD teams as they need the promotion to grow the game. I agree with SA and WA teams games being not automatically exclusive to FTA in their home states.

Only 10 matches?! But it’s better than no FTA coverage at all.
No announcement on RWC official website yet.

“10 best matches”

So…
*All 4 Australia pool games
*Both semi-finals
*The final

What about the other three games? Perhaps the quarter-final the Wallabies are projected to make, and two or three of the more notable pool stage matches (which may or may not involve the All Blacks)

Network 10 scores with the 2019 Rugby World Cup

• Australians will be able to enjoy 10 of the best games from the tournament live and free on Network 10, including every Wallabies game.
  • Broadcast deal includes live streaming and catch-up digital rights.
  • Network 10 is the long-time home of Australian Rugby.

Network 10 will be the free-to-air home of the 2019 Rugby World Cup after securing broadcast and digital rights, including live streaming and catch-up, to the biggest games of the tournament.

As part of the agreement, Australians can enjoy 10 of the very best games from the Rugby World Cup live and free on Network 10 and 10 Play, including every Wallabies game, right up to and including the final.

Network 10’s chief executive officer Paul Anderson said: “The 2019 Rugby World Cup is one of the biggest international sporting events of the year and the crown jewel in the rugby calendar. As the long-time home of Australian rugby, we’re super excited that we can continue to bring coverage of this great game to Australians live and free, wherever and however they choose to watch it.”

World Rugby chairman Sir Bill Beaumont: “Free-to-air access is important to World Rugby’s desire to make rugby and Rugby World Cup as accessible as possible to rugby fans and new audiences alike. This deal will guarantee unprecedented access to Asia’s first Rugby World Cup and a tournament that promises to be the most competitive to date.”

The 2019 Rugby World Cup will be played in Japan from Friday 20 September until Saturday 2 November. It is the first time the tournament will be played in Japan.

Network 10’s head of sport Matt White said: “It’s fantastic for the game and for fans to see the Rugby World Cup expand into a new emerging market like Japan. And for Australian fans, the great thing is that matches will be played in a country with a similar time-zone. The tournament fits perfectly into our schedule, complementing other major sporting events in our calendar. We can’t wait to bring the best games of the tournament to Australians across all of our platforms.”

The 2019 Rugby World Cup joins other major sporting events on 10 in 2019 including the Supercars Championship, the MotoGP, the Australian Formula 1, The Rugby Championship, the Bledisloe Cup and the Melbourne Cup Carnival.

Mr Anderson continued: “In the lead-up to summer, 10 will be the home of event television. We’ll have a full schedule of sport - live and free – with the Rugby World Cup, our Supercars coverage in Bathurst, the Gold Coast, Sandown and Newcastle, the Australian MotoGP, and the four events across the Melbourne Cup Carnival – Derby Day, Melbourne Cup Day, Oaks Day and Stakes Day. This gives us a fantastic head start to launch our summer programming strategy to millions of Australians, setting us up well for 2020.”

It’s good news that 10 has secured streaming and digital rights to its allocation of RWC matches.

I think they could be:
Japan v Russia (opening game in Tokyo, September 20)
New Zealand v South Africa (Yokohama, September 21)
England v France (Yokohama, October 12)

Australia’s first group game of the tournament is against Fiji on Saturday afternoon, September 21. It could potentially clash with an AFL preliminary final, if the AFL again schedules it in the twilight timeslot.

Still, it’s pretty poor.

In 2007, Ten had exclusive rights to 20 of the 40 pool games live in HD plus all finals.

Too bad none of it is exclusive. Some people will be furious.

Well it’s better than just getting the Wallabies matches and the final. It will be interesting to which other matches they choose.

Maybe they’ll preference the quarter final match ups, which is probably where most of the excitement and close matches will be.

The AFL Preliminary Final will coincide with the NRL Semi Final. (I know that the NRL Semi Final will be played during prime time, however with the AFL preliminary final, the AFL might have to schedule it either during the arvo or prime time).
The Timezone will be ideal for Australian fans and will possibly drive through ratings. I get the feeling that this could be played on either 10HD or 10BOLD, But I believe that the Final might be played on 10HD.
Thirdly, I believe that Matt White, Scott McKinnon, Nathan Sharpe might be hosting the analysis talk from Sydney Studios before taking the world coverage.