Ten Sport

Seven’s deal for the rest of Victorian racing runs until the end of June 2020. Not sure about the NSW rights they have

Thanks @Jeffmister

Do you think if Ten were able to nab these rights when it’s up for grabs would they be able to make any decent revenue off it like Seven does? I’m not a sports expert but from what I’ve seen it appears that horse racing does attract some decent revenue for the networks (even if ratings aren’t crash hot).

Problem is that the Melbourne Spring Carnival races (Caulfield Guineas, Caulfield Cup and Cox Plate) clash with Ten’s coverage of Supercars and Australian MotoGP during October. I think racing organisers will demand Ten to show horse racing on the main channel if the network wins the rights.

Which they should if they get exclusive rights to all of them. These exclusive races should be on the main channel with the simulcast trash on One (except for Bathurst 1000). Although this might play down hard on Supercar rights in the future when it’s up for grabs.

These races might not worth much in ratings but in terms of revenue made from gambling/betting ads is probably valuable anyway.

There is also a distinct possibility that Supercars Gold Coast and Australian MotoGP will be on the same weekend in the near future (this year Supercars Gold Coast are on October 19-21 and MotoGP will be held on October 26-28) which will place Ten in a difficult position. Will Ten have to show horse racing on main channel, Supercars on One and MotoGP on Eleven on the Saturday, for example?

Presuming that if Ten gets the other Horse Races, I would think so.

Ten is the rightful home of the Melbourne Cup. They showed the race between 1978 and 2001 before Seven took over between 2002 and 2018 returning in 2019.

They will be promos with “The race that stops a nation is coming home to Ten in 2019” for Ten 2019 promos.

Such a move would be illogical from a ratings POV - even with the Fox simulcast, Supercars & the Australian MotoGP event would get bigger numbers than the horse racing.

There is no such thing as a network being the ‘rightful home’ for an event since no network has an inherent right/deservedness to air said event. The only reason why Ten is airing the Melbourne Cup again is they were willing to pay an extraordinarily crazy amount for the right to do so.

Apart from the big races, horse racing has a loyal but niche audience. Not sure if it’s a niche big enough to warrant a FTA network going all out with their coverage of horse racing.

I agree, but that certainly doesn’t stop networks from believing/claiming they’re “the rightful home” to various sporting events!

Next year’s Australian Formula One Grand Prix will be held at Melbourne’s Albert Park on March 17, after the 2019 F1 calendar was confirmed by the FIA World Motor Sport Council on Friday. With only the NRL to compete against, hopefully it means higher ratings for Ten in 2019 after an audience slump this year.

When does NRL 2019 season start? 7 March or 14 March

Won’t know that for another month but I suspect they usually start 2 weeks before the AFL do which would make it 14/3

AFL starts Thurs March 21

This morning’s friendly was shown on Ten’s main channel at 3am AEDT, but picture quality was poor - why is the host broadcaster still using the 4:3 picture format?
The Socceroos’ next match is against Korea in Brisbane on November 17.

actually Socceroos’ next match isn’t against Lebanon on November 20, but rather November 17. Which is up against Korea. This match will be live on main channel, according to Socceroos website. The game on November 20 has been listed as being on the main channel, even in Perth.

I was wondering whether they have the normal Ten HD Live and Free Watermark being plastered in the right black side of the screen. (I didn’t watch the coverage because I was still sleeping during the overnight)

Not according to this.

The youtube upload isn’t great but it does show that it was broadcast in Kuwait in HD. So not sure what Ten were doing.

Ten simulcast Fox Sports’ coverage I believe. The Fox Sports telecast was in 4:3 format (see the highlights video here).

Not sure what Fox Sports were doing then. :slight_smile: