Ten Sport

I think they also need a strategy with sports-related programming, eg. chat and analysis shows. I’m guessing the revamped Sports Tonight is one step in that path.

They have UFC, right? They need a show built around that: highlights, discussion, etc.

Even for sports they don’t have rights to, like the AFL Footy Show in its hey day. Hopefully the shows rate, and are at least break even, but they also show the governing bodies they’re serious.

I know sometimes, eg. Cricket Australia, they just don’t give a sheet, and lock you out anyway.

I suspect it’s just about reassurance to the market (the kind of people that generally read this kind of material) that they’re open for business and looking at other ways to innovate their current slate of sports and into the future.

I also think we’ll likely hear more about their plans for sports related programming, especially Sports Tonight at their upfronts in a couple of weeks time.

There will be changes next year for their V8 coverage in terms of timing, with the Sandown 500 moved from September to November, which if the present qualifying format is retained means there’s a clash between Saturday’s on track activities with the last day of the Flemington carnival. Gold Coast will also be clashing with the Australian MotoGP, although whether the bikes become an exclusive Fox property next year remains to be seen.

What a sweet gig, just have to do a couple of downstreams a year and the Melbourne cup. They produce very little sport themselves.

Indeed those changes look likely to move the Supercars out of competition with the major footy codes by 2020 (when the new contract comes into effect), giving Ten a few more Summer sport options. Also a sign that the current broadcasting model isn’t helping grow the sport’s popularity.

Not ideal for Ten which has just gained the rights to the Melbourne Cup carnival. Supercars will have to go to One with horse racing staying on main channel.

Supercars CEO Sean Seamer said the Gold Coast race would start early under the proposal, so it would finish by 4pm AEDT, in time for Australian MotoGP.
https://www.supercars.com/news/championship/why-bathurst-will-be-enduro-cup-opener-in-2019-2/

Anyone surprised? Anyone? :face_with_hand_over_mouth:. Said it from day one, it was a shocking deal. There is no point moving the sport to summer, they just need to have it on as many tv’s as possible. When will sporting bodies learn. AFL/NRL are their own marketing machine, they can afford to be on a Fox/Freeview system cause of the media they produce, other sports not so much.

Very underwhelming to the local fans if it finished at 3PM local, and keep in mind it may still be a single 500km race instead of the dual 300km races, which would make the lap count larger than Bathurst.

I phoned Network TEN about The Australian Moto GP and the Bledisloe Cup - Qantas Wallabies v the NZ All Blacks that will be happening on the 27 October 2018. A spokeswoman told me that the Australian MotoGP will be telecasted at 1:30PM (AEDT) and the 3rd Rugby Union Test to be shown at 5PM (AEDT) LIVE on Ten.This would mean that the Hyundai A-League Match will normally be shown on ONE. Last year The Australian MotoGP Qualifying was on ONE due to the Gold Coast V8 Supercars that took priority. We don’t know what’s going to happen with TEN Eyewitness News in the eastern states. But for Perth, the game will be finished before 5PM (Local time).

I already knew that about TEN’s schedule quite some time ago. As the times are listed on tenplay. Under the ten sport umbrella.

Isn’t the kick-off between Wallabies and the All Blacks meant to be at 4.45pm AEDT?

GAME 3
NZ vs Aus
Date : October 27
Time : 5:00pm
Venue : Nissan Stadium, Yokohama

It says that the telecast of the Game 3 of Bledisloe Cup starts at 5PM (AEDT). I have spoken to the Network TEN during this morning as I was in the gym. The TEN Eyewitness news will not air in the eastern states including Adelaide and perhaps Darwin. Perth is the ONLY state that will have the 5PM Eyewitness news Bulletin. I am expecting that this will be a redone bulletin with the Bledisloe Cup scores being updated. New Zealand will win, as Wallabies dont have chance.

According to Australian MotoGP website, on Saturday October 27 the MotoGP qualifying will have two sessions, from 4.10pm to 4.25pm (AEDT) and from 4.35pm to 4.50pm (AEDT). That means Ten’s MotoGP telecast will wrap as soon as the grid for Sunday’s race is decided, before crossing straight to the rugby in Yokohama.

I’d say it’ll go live into Perth, rather than being a ‘redo’

Did TEN personally tell you this or are you just guessing. I don’t see why they wouldn’t show the news at 5 over on ONE, as it was done on the Sunday for race day at Albert Park.

can’t they air 30 minutes of it over on ONE like they have done before in the past. When Australian MotoGP aired on ONE and Gold Coast 600 aired on TEN, ONE did a pre-game show while Ten was off showing the Supercars on TEN.

Last time I’ve checked. The Bledisloe Cup was on ONE during the first 30 minutes nationwide while the Gold Coast 600 V8 Supercars on TEN in 2016. I think this year, the Bledisloe Cup Game 3 should have a prematch on ONE from 4:30PM (NSW Time) before switching to TEN for the match in Yokohama. Network TEN will release a schedule of the match.
Perth was the only city to show the Normal bulletin at 5pm when the Bledisloe Cup (in Eden Park, Auckland) was on TEN. I didn’t watch the news when the rugby union was finished but I was wondering whether they have the bledisloe cup scores updated when it was finished. (the 5pm news was shown via the Sydney Studios for Perth viewers). And Eastern States don’t have News which was a laughing stock.

Next Saturday’s guide shows that ONE will be showing the A-League from 7.30pm to 10.30pm AEDT.

The three viewers lining up for this will be thrilled.

I was just thinking, next year’s Presidents Cup golf tournament at Royal Melbourne (December 9-15) has not got a FTA broadcaster. Maybe Ten should bid for the rights to show it. Tiger Woods is captain of Team USA and his appearance (even if he is not playing) will generate a huge crowd.

Not sure whether that has a big following like the Melbourne Cup (which stretches for a week I believe), or even the lead up events before. Ten would be wise to sit and wait for the bigger, worthwhile rights.

Just a thought about the Melbourne Cup, I know the lead up events aren’t popular (Caulfield Guineas etc.), but does anyone know when Ten might be able to bid for such events? Even starting with Ten being the ‘Home of Horse Racing’ will be better than just the Melbourne Cup week on its own (not just for ratings, but for their overall sporting department to at least have some output rather than just a relay of Fox).