Ten Sport

All these races are still happening and it’s going to keep happening. It’s called competing against the competition. not arrogance.

2 Likes

New graphics for the coverage this year.

Good to see Francesca Cumania back and Ed back on 10.

3 Likes

VIC doesn’t have an inherent right over the Spring Racing Carnival in the same way NSW doesn’t have an inherent right over the Autumn Racing Carnival. If Racing Victoria are annoyed about the way Racing NSW has ‘intruded’ into their flagship portion of the racing year, there’s nothing stopping them from introducing races and initiatives during the Autumn Racing Carnival to try and steal some of the spotlight from NSW (as they’ve indeed done with the All Star Mile).

Unless 10 decides not to renew the Melbourne Cup Carnival rights, don’t know whether that’ll be the case. Race days such as The Golden Eagle & The Big Dance are filling the gap for Seven in absence of being able to show the Melbourne Cup Carnival. That along with the fact that Seven is probably paying the same amount (if not less) for their year-round rights than 10 are for four days of horse racing each year means there’s just not the same imperative that there probably was when they lost the rights to regain them at any cost.

I think you’ve missed the point. Numbers and ratings have reduced for the cup coverage on 10. Increased competition from Seven and Sydney events are killing it. Hence why the VRC will want to go back to Seven. Sometimes it’s not about the money.

1 Like

They good thing about 10 covering this is the effort they put in with multi-platform and multi studio coverage. They invest a lot into not only having mounting yard coverage but a full blown studio at the venue and the marquee etc. Their coverage looks and feels grander and classier than anything seven dishes up.

Perhaps seven have blown their brains out on the AFL and can’t afford to regain the rights. At $20m a year I doubt seven will be able to afford that. Not sure if the VRC are going to get much of a lift on that rights fee either.

3 Likes

3 Likes

It’s weird seeing Eddie back at 10.

5 Likes

At least with 10 we don’t have to put up with those idiots Hamish Mclachlan and Jason Richardson. Terrible broadcasters.

2 Likes

Prefer old graphics

2 Likes

Frankly $20m/year is paying overs for an event you have basically no exclusivity to where the actual coverage of the sporting element is lucky to be half an hour to 40 minutes and is predominately at a time where people arent in a position to watch.

2 Likes

I thought Ten’s previous graphics package was fantastic. Not sold on this one at all yet.

3 Likes

Too much channel 10 “blue”.

It’s a little more readable than the last package though.

1 Like

I think with Seven not renewing its cricket rights… I can see Melbourne Cup returning to that Network. Plus Seven is the home of horse racing.

10/Paramount will most like move their business model to cricket over the summer months. Makes sense.

Nine will obtain Tennis. I can’t see them moving away from this anytime soon.

3 Likes

Agreed

1 Like

Would argue though that the main studio (i.e., the one with the screen) is unnecessary. It seems odd for 10 to have their key people in Ed, Francesca & Glen Boss be situated in a setting where it looks like they’re covering proceedings from an off-site studio when they’re actually at Flemington. Where the trio began the coverage this morning (i.e., the Mounting Yard) is where they should be located.

4 Likes

They’ve been going back and forth from there. Both hosting teams are utilizing both hosting areas.

Melbournes weather is also unpredictable… good having a door stupid.

1 Like
2 Likes

That’s what you get for non-exclusive rights.

1 Like