Ten (Southern Cross)

Is NRN still “Ten” on-air?
I’m guessing - due to the lack of screams - mappy hasn’t been inflicted on Northern NSW yet so playout hasn’t shifted to MediaHub yet?

1 Like

I’ve heard 1 September is when it’s all happening.

Where has this been confirmed?

I saw someone guess at September 1 on this forum and then everyone run with it, just the same as when someone speculated July 1 and everyone got on board.

As far as I know, no date has been confirmed at all.

1 Like

The only confirmation is from an ex-WIN insider:

In a Word “Yes”

1 Like

I’ve had it confirmed to me by multiple people inside WIN and out.

3 Likes

I know that after tonight there won’t be many markets that belong in this thread, but there will still be some.

Some content from Darwin Digital Television (DDT) / Ten Darwin:

6 Likes

Other Southern Cross Ten affiliates I can think other than DTD (Darwin) which you mentioned are SGS/SCN (Spencer Gulf/Broken Hill) and CDT/IDQ (Remote Central & Eastern Australia/Mount Isa)

3 Likes

No more Southern Cross Ten. Remaining markets I believe are supplementary channels i.e.: CDT and DDT.

Not sure of the name of their Ten re-broadcast in their solus SA/BH area.

Vale Southern Cross TEN… (within a few hours anyway)

You have served us well, except for a lack of local programming.

10 Likes

Good point. Although SCA still does the playout (and maybe other on-air stuff) for the joint venture channels…right?

I believe it used to carry the same “Southern Cross Ten” branding as the major regional markets pre-2016.

I’ve got no idea what they’re doing now, although I’d be willing to guess that the main channel is just branded as “Ten” these days.

2 Likes

This thread will be all but obsolete once NRN fully becomes WIN tonight. Ten Darwin and Ten Central should be covered by their own threads as they are JVs, (do not belong here anyway) while SGS/SCN is covered by the SCTV thread due to the monopoly status of Spencer Gulf.

1 Like

I dread that star - it symbolises the destruction and cannibalisation of regional television in Victoria, NSW and the ACT. Good riddance!

For years SC claimed that regional news wasn’t worth bothering with, yet Nine has swept in and created a relatively decent top rating bulletin with actual cameras and reporters reflecting local communities.

Their attempts at filling local content quotas were unimaginative and a poor reflection of the on air talent that stuck with them.

I’m hopeful the rise of CBS and power of Nine over SC will give rise to new home-grown content, created outside Sydney and Melbourne.

7 Likes

The SC Ten brand still represents their Ten affiliate in regional SA as much (or as little) as it did for NNSW. It’s not dead yet.

2 Likes

I have to disagree with you. While NRN was an independent station in an affiliated market, GTS/BKN Seven is the main station in the Spencer Gulf monopoly. The other two stations are subservient to it, not to mention the stripping of all SC10 branding from last year. It’s dead mate.

2 Likes

So long Southern Cross Ten, and the people behind the transmitter sites. Thanks for the memories.

For all the criticism (much of which has been deserved, I might add) that Southern Cross Ten’s legally mandated “News Updates” have received over the years, in fairness there has been on-air talent from those updates who have since managed to go onto bigger and better things in the industry.

Julie Snook and Lachlan Kennedy are probably the most notable examples of SC10 News Update presenters who made it big, but a number of others have since moved onto reporting roles - including the new regional editions of Nine News.

Aside from that…yeah I agree that not too many people will be mourning the demise of the Southern Cross Ten brand or their mostly poor attempts at filling the local content quotas such as State Focus, The Workers and the various weekend morning music programs (mainly produced as a tie-in with the company’s radio interests) they’ve aired over the years.

2 Likes

Who could forget SCTen’s most famous in-house (but uncredited) production, Up Late Game Show with Hotdogs :hugs: (partially utilising the long abandoned State Focus set IIRC)

7 Likes

A brand is a brand whether it represents an independent station’s channel or a sole market’s channel. I agree that it hardly exists these days, but that doesn’t change the fact GTS/BKN still use it in local marketing.

5 Likes

Regional TV is definitely an important aspect of growing talent - I’ll just be glad to see the end of the ‘phone box bulletins’ which are the absolute bare minimum of television. Even Prime does it better.

Interestingly, SC could have done any number of local content formats to satisfy their points requirements - just that news earns the most points per minute.

4 Likes