Ten (Southern Cross)

For the past week now, TDT and Ten Central pages have been offline with 503 errors, as have all of the local SCTV pages.

I’ve heard that WIN will probably move to another part of town in the long term. In the meantime, WIN and Hit/Triple M will coexist in the same building.

Just wondering what base they’d have my friend. I realise WIN has shut its outlying studios.

Alas infrastructure doesn’t add value to a network - like buying a car, it does not appreciate and costs a fortune to maintain. Networks are valued based on projected revenue. As an example the Nine Netowrk, in 1991, was valued a hell of a lot higher than Seven, even though Nine owned just three stations (GTV, TCN and QTQ) while Seven had five (ATN, HSV, TVW, SAS and BTQ).

4 Likes

Not exactly… and they use profits, not revenue/sales.
6-8x EBITDA (Earnings(profits) before interest, tax, depreciation and amortization) PLUS assets is the usual amount.
There is a part of the same price that will include assets and infrastructure, just this isn’t always worth a lot.
For example, any land and buildings that are included will obviously have a market value that is included in the final sale price. Any transmission towers included will usually be fairly old so will have very little value - however any income gained from them will impact the profits for the calculation. Other equipment such as transmitters, studio & office equipment will also usually hold very little value as it has been depreciated over time.
In the sale price of NRN there is a no doubt a few million allocated for the assets that will be transferred, but yes, the vast majority of the amount is based on the profit of the business.

1 Like

Fair point - I used the term ‘revenue’ generically. However one couldn’t make the claim that one regional station is worth more than another because it has more transmitters. Regulations dictate the service area that needs to be covered, so these are essentially overheads. You can’t divest transmitters from the station (under the current broadcasting landscape) so their value is bascially zero.

Real estate, yes, maybe, but I don’t think NRN has vast amounts more than did CTC in 1994 (the original point in this conversation).

I think we can all agree (I hope) that a TV station today is worth less than it was 20 years ago, which was my original point. The reasons for this are numerous, but the overarching thread is - there is less money in TV today.

3 Likes

[quote=“CTC7-9-10, post:217, topic:359”]
I think we can all agree (I hope) that a TV station today is worth less than it was 20 years ago, which was my original point. The reasons for this are numerous, but the overarching thread is - there is less money in TV today.
[/quote]Absolutely. If anything, a larger amount of transmitters are a negative given the cost of operating them and getting a signal to them. There’s a reason why many remote towns only have trasmitters because the local council has chosen to install them as a self-help re-transmission.

2 Likes

As the curtain closes, it seems like this topic will be closed down once SC10 exits Northern NSW by midnight tonight AEST. I’ll miss those days when chicken noodle updates were like made by elementary students. Presentation-wise, they resemble like Ten except promo coverups. Change has come, even if I don’t like the new owner by tomorrow.

Doesn’t Southern Cross still broadcast Ten in the Spencer Gulf area?

2 Likes

Why

SCTen will still exist in regional QLD/NT/SA and VAST

3 Likes

And by “regional QLD”, I think @xyz223 means Western QLD eg. Roma, Longreach, Mt Isa and not the coastal stretch from the Sunny Coast to Port Douglas.

3 Likes

Yes. SCA has a monopoly in Spencer Gulf and Broken Hill. GTS/BKN (Seven) is the main channel in Spencer Gulf and Broken Hill. Nine and Ten are just relayed in full from Adelaide.

No, it won’t. DTD Darwin and CDT Central (not “regional QLD”) are both joint ventures that are straight relays from the capital cities. None are fully owned by SCA, nor are they (including SA) branded anything other than Ten. So it is the end for SC10.

2 Likes

This thread should still remain open as Southern Cross do manage playout and presentation for those Ten relays.

I also believe that the Southern Cross Ten brand has been used up until recently (if not currently) at least for sales and maybe CSAs in SA and Western QLD.

5 Likes

Disagree. The SC10 brand and network of Ten affiliated channels will no longer exist. After the affiliation swap, this thread was focused on NRN (plus occasional Spencer Gulf info), which will soon be gone.

CDT Central and DTD Darwin are not part of SC10, they are only plain relay joint ventures. TDT Tasmania and WDT West have their own threads, so we should do the same for CDT and DTD. and now, so do CDT and DTD.

Any future Spencer Gulf and Broken Hill Ten-related info should be relegated to the Southern Cross Television thread, like the minor Seven and Nine monopoly WIN stations are covered by the WIN Television thread.

5 Likes

6 Likes

Still on air as Ten Northern NSW SCA’s News updates & all

1 Like

Really? That doesn’t sound like something WIN would do :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Don’t think we’re expecting any major changes tomorrow.

Just checked the EPG for Ten (Southern Cross) Gold Coast and there’s no “All Australia News” so I’m guessing Mediahub isn’t ready to take these “new” channels.

Perhaps Southern Cross is still doing sales, noodle news and presentation for the channels until 1 July even though WIN owns it? Wouldn’t be the most bizarre thing to happen in television.

3 Likes

July 1 is a Saturday this year, so I wouldn’t be surprised if the switchover happens over the weekend of July 1-2.

5 Likes

A shorter reprieve I suspect; it could be a week or so when “WIN is coming” stuff starts appearing, & whenever MH are ready to do the ads they’ll take over the presentation and inflict mappy on NNSW.

But until then perhaps this thread should be (or should’ve been a while ago) renamed “Ten (Northern NSW)”…until it is closed down.

1 Like