Ten Pilot Week 2018

I agree, it does matter. Exclusion of opportunity based on gender is not on. But what if the broader community of candidates for a given position is made up of mostly one gender?

1 Like

Then that should be explained by Ten. They could say, we were really keen for a female-led comedy, but no applicants were forthcoming.

Logical fallacy. Same “concerns” have been seen throughout history during civil rights movements.

Also, what exactly are the consequences, in the context of the Ten premiere week.

So we’re living in a world where a company needs to quell a fire before it starts so as not to risk being seen as biased towards men? Really? What about assuming a company like Ten, that has pretty progressive outlook on equality now, did the right thing from the beginning?

I like these discussions by the way, particularly if they are mature with someone such as yourself. Some members here need to put their hearts away for a moment and actually talk instead of being in a state of constant combativeness with issues like these.

3 Likes

I mean, that’s been marketing 101 for about 50 years. Avoid pushing something which could come off as tasteless. Pepsi had that ridiculous ad a couple of years back where a popstar brought together American cops and black protestors using a can of diet cola. Just stupid.

It’s not like Ten didn’t have a lot of time to think this through. And there weren’t just two pilots - there were eight. Not one fronted by a woman or POC out of all of those is pretty meagre, especially in the current climate of #metoo.

And yes I appreciate this conversation. Much more riveting than “Ten should move the project” x976.

This is so ridiculous im struggling to stay on these forums! Why does everything need to be justified when people don’t get what they want?! Damned if you do and damned if you dont! Its a pilot week for gods sake! Its fucking sour grapes. Just because your a female and think your funny doesnt mean everything will go your way. Theres millions of “comedians” in this world that dont get a look in and would love to have their own show!

2 Likes

Yeah, but knee-jerk ‘outrage’ at something by just looking at the surface needs to change as well. Granted we are talking about a company’s image here which is a little different and image is everything.

2 Likes

No one’s forcing to stay on the forums.

I think what’s been said is constructive criticism, not ranting. Therefore we as members have a right to debate about certain things such as female comedians. So what if we debate? It’s not like we can’t. We don’t all have to defend Ten and agree with what some of you have been saying (and it appears from your viewpoint that if we don’t agree with Ten and you we must be wrong and be ‘damned’).

If you don’t like it, you don’t have to read it.

4 Likes

I probably don’t agree with the level of reaction by some commentators in the media. I do understand where they’re coming from though. I also think that equality won’t be achieved by taking a back seat.

2 Likes

But think about it this way. The men are fighting to get a show and the women are getting funded series. May not be in just comedy but there’s so many female skewed shows being made now especially on the ABC where women are appreciated in comedy there too.

1 Like

The “Weekly with Charlie Pickering” took the piss out of this beautifully tonight with Kitty Flanagan.

3 Likes

This is pilot week. Holy hell Ten. Everything just sucks. Kyle Sandilands? If this is where Ten’s head is at I’m really worried for its future. Everything just sounds more of the same and it seems like the comedy showcased is already what Ten offers.

No dramas or anything. Just tacky comedy and reality tv.

Rove again? Isn’t his footprint stamped over Ten enough. Apparently not.

Personally I would have liked to see a comedienne get a pilot, but clearly they wanted cheap, low brow white males.

2 Likes

I think this is the third post I have opened and you have commented on. Lots of negative comments coming out. Everyone ok?

3 Likes

Just the standard trolling before returning home under the bridge. It happens every few weeks. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes
2 Likes

Its a nice article and gives some insight. The fact one that is complaining was offered a role and declined is interesting.

One thing that does annoy me a little is that Beverly keeps saying these are shows Ten wouldn’t normally commission. That is total rubbish in my opinion.

Trial By Kyle is basically Hughesy we have a problem with Kyle.
Bring back Saturday or whatever its called is a Rove show and something Ten have commissioned in the past.
Drunken History is another typical show that you would likely see on Ten.

To me I actually do think Ten went safe on Pilot week. Which is fine if they want the first to be a success but she is lying when she says they aren’t shows Ten would normally commission. They are possibly shows ten has been pitched before and not commissioned but I think that was more due to money and the fact they had shows similar already in the schedule.

4 Likes
1 Like

I commend Beverley for speaking out but suggest she should have done it sooner. Whoever advises them on crisis comms isn’t doing a very good job. Why let negative sentiment fester for a week for a week before highlighting “It should also be noted that some of the people who have criticised the shows in Pilot Week were, in fact, offered roles on Pilot Week shows that they declined.”?

2 Likes

Yeah everything’s okay. There’s no pretending if something sounds terrible or is a trainwreck though. I think the networks have enough people blowing smoke up their asses without me being disingenuous.

Hey Turdall, How come I get labelled negative when you have summed up exactly what I originally posted. More of the same.

I actually don’t think it was fine they went safe on pilot week. Everyone already knows what Ten is about, so offering more of the same is pointless. This was their best chance to grab new eyeballs with all the media exposure and buzz to try something new and as many different shows or formats as possible. Everyone can’t like everything, but with more variety and choices it would have given Ten the best possible chance of gaining new viewers.

If this fails Ten has blown it. They won’t get a second chance. They’ve put all their eggs in the same baskets.

:smiley:

2 Likes