Ten Pilot Week 2018

Bingo.

One of the most misunderstood aspects of feminism. It’s not about restricting opportunity to only women and about excluding men, but rather controlling for inherent advantage given to certain segments of the population. Men have traditionally been the dominant force in business and thus you need to put in place a metric which accounts for that and produces a result which is just for all parties.

That’s one reason why straight meritocracy is pure rubbish. Just like libertarianism. All a meritocracy will produce is a continuation of the status quo with regards to power imbalance, and over time entrench that difference.

Point being: the criticism levelled at Ten should merely demonstrate that they need a system which ensures adequate and proportional representation of men and women. Next pilot week hopefully we’ll see some changes.

I’m just hoping for an Aussie version of Drag Race fronted by Courtney Act.

4 Likes

I am surprised Drag Race hasn’t been adapted down under.

I don’t think anyone thought ten did that deliberately. I think it just would have been nice to have some sort of diversity. There is no doubt though that they played it safe. To say these are shows they would not normally commission wasn’t quite true.

2 Likes

They did it, deliberate or not.

These women that have complained…especially one of them does all the time. Did they put in a show to get on the pilot week?! Im sick of these few loud mouthed people that cry sexism when its completely not! You dont hear about it any other time but when it features comedies and men for pilots they have a cry. Move on ladies for gods sake!

3 Likes

I think its being said because Ten have actually signed a charter to seek change in inequality in front and behind the camera. So I think the comment was fair and in fact if you read Jane’s other tweets she was more having a go at the Herald Sun making it look like women bow down to the men - with the woman in front of the tv with the remote control.

As I said Ten didn’t do it deliberately. Pilot week was only announced 9 months ago. Its a short time to get anything really off the ground so its obvious that they went to a few people about shows and other shows have been rumoured for years. Ten have done a good job of showcasing a lot of Australian products in week. There are a lot more shows than I thought they were going to do, I was expecting one a night Sunday-Thursday (5).

That wasn’t the point of the complaint.

If you don’t understand what representation means, and why it’s important try reading about it, or talking to someone. Especially when you tell ‘loud mouth’ women to be quiet while spouting off yourself.

sigh. here we go, attacking those that have an opinion different to what feminism tells us to think and say.

Just to be clear, I’m a white male, so for that I apologise.

4 Likes

So defensive, that’s not the point. I too am white and male, the point is white men telling women to shut up while being loud and obnoxious themselves.

White male too. I still think representation matters and processes should be in place to reflect the broader community.

It’s not about apologising or guilt. It’s about improving society and providing opportunity for disadvantaged groups.

Don’t take an opinion as an attack on a Network. We are bigger than that to get defensive over something so small. Its great constructive criticism that will be improved next year!

2 Likes
2 Likes

Kudos to Ten for trying something other than a reality or game show. High time there was a bit of variety.

2 Likes

I’m not being loud and obnoxious. I’m not telling women to shut up. Don’t put words in my mouth.

We risk swinging the pendulum too far the other way.

1 Like

Who said I took it as an attack on the network?

I apologise if you didn’t take it an attack. Just feels like some are very defensive. Beverly included. Its just an observation and no one is taking away from the fact ten have taking a brave step at more Australian content.

Mate I wasn’t even replying to you in the first place. I was replying to this, sorry I didn’t quote it, but calm down.

What a ridiculous comment, no females or POC but we risk it swinging the other way?