Ten Pilot Week 2018

Totally Agree - at least they are doing something different, but with only limited viewers on Saturday nights, I’m not sure investing in live TV will produce a result worthwhile.

Good on ten for trying something new!

1 Like

Not sure inclusion is the reason for Netflix growth… Convenience, accessibility, quality and breadth of programming coupled with a cheap cost are the real drivers.

No wonder the commentators reckon they’re struggling to get a foothold in Australia…

1 Like

Let’s not over-politicise this and make it about gender - Ten has simply commissioned what it feels are the best 8 shows for pilot week. If the female-led productions were ready or up to scratch there’s no doubt they’d be part of the lineup as well.

I’m all for equal opportunity, but that doesn’t necessarily mean we’ll always get equal representation. Ten hasn’t done anything wrong here, in fact if anything it’s a really exciting step forward for the creative sectors of the television industry!

7 Likes

Let’s just maintain the status quo and ignore women crying out for opportunity. They’re just not making it because they’re not ready or at the same standard as men. The ABC and SBS seem to find women to front projects because the law somewhat forces them to be representative, but the commercial networks don’t have to.

Or maybe they actually want to.

Yes that’s true.

Well said.

1 Like

Did Sam Dastyari have opportunity did he? The same amount as a female comedian or politician forced out of their job?

Beside the point, but Brownyn Bishop gets far too much airtime on Sky News.

That’s a whole new forum topic. I wouldn’t know where to start.

Actually Dave O’Neill told Jane he funded the pilot himself and sent it to Ten? I know Ten only take show ideas from production companies so are they commissioning any of them at this early stage?

His show was filmed back in Dec 2016, he’s been shopping it around for a while :wink:

Lucky him then. I wonder how many of the others have been knocked back from other networks?

I’d say Kinne has been shopping his around since his other show finished its run on 7mate also.

The others look like formats they were asked to create (Roving enterprise) or were already being shopped around when Ten announced pilot week end of last year.

TEN is also looking over three female-driven narrative comedies with “high-profile women” for future consideration.

“If they do make it to pilot it will be next year’s Pilot Week because the lead-time on narrative comedy is about 18 months.”

Another Pilot Week likely in 2019.

4 Likes

I think it may have been the case that the shows announced were the best of the bunch AND just happened to be hosted by men. We’ll never really know.

HOWEVER, I do think society needs to make an effort to call out imbalance when we see it, otherwise change will never happen. It’s how we evolve.

Yes, because ten deliberately went out of their way to cast 8 shows without a woman in the lead role.

There’s equal opportunity then there’s just rolling over and capitulating by having all women led roles. ten has the (?) biggest number of females in management in Australian media.

4 Likes

Like much of society’s issues, we don’t deliberately do or think things that are unjust. It’s just laziness. Clearly some of those shows could have been hosted by talented women. Lesson learned I hope.

5 Likes