Ten Pilot Week 2018

tennetwork
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007f81efbf3c90>

Probably not with that name! :wink:

Just watched Saturday Night and really liked elements of it. I think it could work and would take some time to build an audience. What I don’t understand is why ten didn’t hold off one week for pilot week for Saturday Night to have a free run on a Saturday Night without any AFL.

1 Like

Living Room isn’t live, they used to film two episodes back to back on Wednesdays but I’m not if that has now changed with the studio being used for Pointless.

2 Likes

It looks like it has because Rove said that they could only get into the studio at 2 pm on Saturday because the Living Room set had to be dismantled. So it seems they are filming The Living Room on Fridays now.

1 Like

Assuming you believe the story and it’s not just fodder made up for the radio interviews.

0 Likes

The following pilots made the top 50 shows last week in 25-54

21 KINNE TONIGHT
24 DRUNK HISTORY AUSTRALIA
30 TRIAL BY KYLE
36 SKIT HAPPENS

0 Likes

Not sure why Aussie comedy is so hard to get right the UK seems to produce sitcoms all the time , is Aussie humour that hard to perfect?

I think Drunk History and Kinne should be picked up for the main channel , Drunk History for a pilot seemed well made. Having Rhys Darby on the show makes the show really funny. SkitHouse was just average.

I think Kyle’s show is just trash and really is better suited to a multichannel than the main channel . I assume it’s a cheap show to make? If so put it on Eleven where it might be a good fit… otherwise if it didn’t move past the pilot I wouldn’t be sad. The cases are dumb like failed breast augmentation the first one ? lol.

Rove’s show only suggestion is ditch the voiceover of Judith Lucy. It’s just odd like she’s haunting the studio . The pink interview was a bit odd too, obviously prerecorded . Would be better to have any all guests and interviews on the chairs . The lady who was on The Checkout , hope she stays and that other woman who went with Rove to talk to Pink she has potential .

0 Likes

But we never saw John Blackman on Hey Hey.

I did not get Drunk History at all. Obviously there was a script so are they acting drunk or really drunk and remembering he script? It’s definitely not all improv from the narrator.

0 Likes

How did you ever figure that out?

1 Like

Probably explains why Ten axed it fourteen years ago.

3 Likes

I’ve found the analysis of the performance of Pilot Week shows by various media websites and writers to be pretty superficial. About the only thing that has been discussed is the overnight total people numbers.

I was hoping for at least some commentary on performance in Ten’s key target demo of 25-54.

Some insight into other areas would have been interesting. For example, what are the considerations when the show is an overseas format like Drunk History or Taboo - would the addition of licence fees make these shows less likely pick ups? What about the relative production costs of each show; which ones look more expensive; what might be the potential interest from advertisers and/or sponsors (beer anyone?) for each format.

4 Likes

Have just watched the Taboo pilot. Not a bad production at all but how would this be sustained as a series?

Also, I don’t think Ten have a timeslot where this would work. They have no where near the schedule depth and variety of content to put it in a timeslot that would make a series a success across a season.

1 Like

The series would just focus on other marginalised/minority groups. Similar to You Can’t Ask That.

Any slot after MasterChef, or 9:30 Monday’s after HYBPA? would work I think.

1 Like

It’s based on a Belgium show the same format. That had 9 episodes.

0 Likes

Apparently Trial By Kyle has been picked up, according to Kyle speaking on his radio show:

4 Likes

:arrow_up: :-1:

6 Likes

Judging by the quotes in that article, the general impression I’ve gotten in the media about Sandilands being a rather arrogant f***wit has only strengthened.

Very disappointing to hear that Trial By Kyle has seemingly been greenlighted for a full series, especially when you remember the reasons why (which really should’ve justified a lifetime ban from the network, if not the entire Australian media IMO) Kyle lost his last high profile on-air position at Ten.

3 Likes

Hopefully Ten says he is wrong and it isn’t confirmed as going ahead…

6 Likes

Was there ever any doubt? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

So not much support for Kyle getting the Today hosting gig? :wink:

3 Likes

we kinda knew this was going to happen, either this one or Rove’s show.

0 Likes