Ten News First Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

Well, you’ve read Ross Dagan’s own words about his approach and how he’s going along with CBS. If the suits in New York are as progressive as he says they are about a wider content strategy, I’d argue an additional bulletin might not be at the top of mind unless there is a clear approach that is substantially different from 7 or 9 and maybe even very dissimilar to 10 at 5pm.

Nobody in that age demo is at home/watching TV at 3pm

6 Likes

The other thing with 10 News First, @TVHead is this works:

5:00 10 News First
7:00 10 News First Primetime
9:30 10 News First Edge (yes, i got that from WJBK)

So, it’s the first primetime commercial news. And the other one is on the ‘edge’ of primetime or evening viewing is the thinking with the 9:30 name… and the fact it’s a more ‘edgy’ late night local bulletin with associated pres elements. Oh, and it’s before The Latest with Musher.

And advance trigger warning sarcasm alert - before anyone objects to my 10 News First Edge at 9:30 name (without suggesting anything else of course), it’s f#%*ing better than 10Bold!!!

PVO with another big exclusive story tonight.

1 Like

PVO is a good get for ten as he will break stories. Unfortunately the young reporters they had there in Canberra didn’t have the contacts.

Two exclusives in two days is a good start as political editor.

8 Likes

Perhaps so, but depending on costs to implement and the potential ad dollars by translating the program to the web, it could do better than some of the poor raters in the afternoon syndie lineup.

But in any case, I’m trying to paint a bigger picture on what 10 News can put out to maximize audience reach on all platforms. We aren’t just TV Spy, right?

Sure, ‘be the point of difference’ but Pointless certainly isn’t the answer. 10 is in dire need of a decent program at 6pm.

4 Likes

What are you thinking of, as 1, a bulletin for TV or 2, something compiled for mobile devices? Aren’t passive commuters likely to have looked up the news on the way home, therefore less likely to want to see all the news again?

I think 2 has legs, but give 1 the flick.

1 Like

True. It’s the perfect program after Have You Been Paying Attention. (F#%^, they should reboot The Panel too!) Local, late news between 9:30 and 10:30, possibly a second edition at 10:30 to 11 as well. Just go for it.

By the way, here u can see heaps of content coming out of Fox Detroit (where I was in July). An 11pm (Sunday, I think) sports wrap. Great!

Sorry to say but I don’t believe Ballarat or Gundagai have enough going on to warrant local morning news for a few hours.National is the only way its proven successful all over the world 10 just need to find the right format to go with.

Realistically, there’ll never be local TV breakfast programs for smaller regional markets when some barely manage to fill the 1st segment of a 30 minute local news bulletin without having to resort to fillers.

However…the five largest TV markets: Sydney, Melbourne, South East Queensland, Perth & Adelaide. I think there’s more than enough going on in those individual markets for local breakfast shows to work, if a network is willing to spend the money/resources which of course isn’t likely to happen anytime soon.

I’d personally argue that national breakfast programs don’t work on Australian TV and that there’s room for at least one network to provide a local breakfast show for each of the five main markets.

But since Ten have repeatedly made their intentions clear about not re-entering the breakfast market anytime soon, it’s pointless even having this discussion.

2 Likes

One thing I’ve noticed since the 10 News First rebrand is that they don’t appear to be using any official hashtags in any of their social media posts anymore.

Keyed in set from Monday’s update.

7 Likes

Why not key in only the spinning globe? Easier and with no time spent on mocking up the set.

It will just be a loop that they recorded of the actual set.

4 Likes

From what I’ve seen in my PVR recordings this week and last, most of the updates are from a keyed set presented by Tarsh.

I read somewhere that Studio 10 was filming its christmas ep the other day, so perhaps they have been recording summer eps so the news set couldn’t be used for updates.

1 Like

Generally the first few updates for the day come from the green screen before moving to the desk and screens when the set is all back together following Studio 10 wrapping up, nothing new there.

6 Likes

Whilst it’s not immediately obvious from their home page or navigating around the site, it appears the 10 daily website has (or is in the process) of integrating all of the 10 News First news pieces there.

I stumbled across this page through the search bar and it has separate landing pages for each respective state along with sport etc, but doesn’t appear under the shows tab where The Project now sits.

https://tendaily.com.au/shows/ten-news-first

1 Like

I feel like they should blow-away 10 Play and make 10 daily the main site, otherwise there will be two 10 News First pages. Less confusion and clutter.

1 Like