Ten News First Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

don’t let that get in the way of a good bashing for the sake of bashing.

2 Likes

If anything, 10 News certainly making some noise across media recently, including with Studio 10 two weeks in a row.

Hugh currently on ABC News Radio chatting about the Renae Lawrence story. Money can’t buy that publicity.

3 Likes

He was also on Ben Fordham’s radio program yesterday afternoon too, some good coverage there also.

2 Likes

You know times are tough when your one and only news bulletin gets outraged by quiz shows. Revamps mean nothing.

it doesn’t though…

1 Like

You’re comparing a 5:30pm figure to a full 5pm hour figure there. Seven and Nine both grow substantially after 5:45pm as people switch on for 6pm, I think it’s generally accepted that 10 is ahead across the full hour of their bulletin.

The Chase goes for an hour? (Edit: or is it coded as two half hours?)

Coded in two halves, always has been.

So is Hotseat.

Ta. How I wish they didn’t do that

Only real solution, given the environment, is coding 10NF in halves. I know 9 and 7 code half-hours for news with the bygone legacy of their current affairs programs in most states, but I don’t know why 10 doesn’t take advantage and figure out what it can do.

Networks can slice and dice the figures anyway they like.

Everyone gets 1/4 hour breakdowns and if they pay for it minute by minute breakdowns.

So really what’s at play here is how OzTAM releases the detail albeit at the request of the network.

But internally, 10 would know how they’re bulletin is performing segment by segment against the other channels.

As you approach 6pm it’s highly likely 10 falls behind but earlier in the hour i would guess 10 performs well.

5 Likes

I’ve seen the quarter hour ratings… and 10 does very well in total people right through to 17.45. Every weeknight.

3 Likes

It’s that damn weather wall…

1 Like

Have they tried moving sport to 5.20 (for example) and continue the news content from 5.30-5.55pm. Do you think that would reduce the switch over?

If I’m not mistaken, 10 would fall behind in the last 1/4 not because people are switching over but bacause there’s a big increase in people and households turning on their TVs. (There would be some switchover, but I don’t think it’s the major component)

There’s always a big increase in PUTS and HUTS just before 6.

So it’s not 10 doing anything wrong, rather people being in the habit of tuning in for the 6 o’clock news.

4 Likes

Without doubt… ratings are there mainly for selling advertising… and yes, seemingly strange program division is created to maximize audience numbers.

Bragging rights are a nice extra.

1 Like

I honestly don’t think there is anything 10 can do that will stop the switch over.

They just need to be a competitive 3rd from 6-7 to survive.

7 Likes

They could promote the fuck out of the fact that they have the most comprehensive sports wrap (tie in with ST) highlighting that 10 could be the one stop shop for sports wraps for those people who don’t have time to watch the games. Along with this they could push the headlines earlier to 5:30 to introduce possible viewers joining them.

1 Like

He’s right. News director and/or executive producer have the final say on whether something is exclusive. As @lexington also said before, exclusivity in TV news means TV only. The ethics is debatable, but this is standard practice in the industry.

If you want to get even more pedantic, there is also a distinct difference between First on 7 and 7 News Exclusive. That’s for another thread.

1 Like