Ten News First Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

Bullseye

I would even suggest choosing just one market. Say PER or ADL, a little Lower risk and Lower profile (the way fast food chains always test new products in Newcastle) and give it a shot at 9 or 930 for 8 weeks with some decent promo and marketing muscle

After 8 weeks crunch the numbers. I’m almost certain 10 News at 9.30 Sunday - Friday would average better viewership after 8 weeks than all the forgettable US dramas and repeats

2 Likes

I dunno about local - but maybe the cheapest way to do it would be to use the Perth 6pm as the basis of a national late news, using the same techniques they would be using to make the Brisbane and Sydney news at the same time.

You could get an almost free extra bulletin to air.

Also weird is the survey that came out today that says more Australians now get their news online than on TV. Yet 10 News still has no online presence

No, realistic. Not fawning.

Doesn’t that just prove that they have zero interest in providing a news service apart from their bare legal minimum?

If they can’t operate a cheap news website they’re never going to operate a moderately resourced television news department.

“cheap”

It sounds a bit counterintuitive with advertising falling through the floor, but surely the time to have tried this would’ve been during the initial nationwide lockdown.

Everyone’s home. Bill it as a special thing (like the Gulf War bulletins back in the day). If it doesn’t rate too well, you can yank it after 2 weeks or whatever and say things are under control. If it goes well keep it.

Hindsight is wonderful, though.

Cheap, as opposed to say…a moderately resources television news department.

Look at the 7 and 9 website. Almost all stories driven by the television service. Just a little rewrite or a script or press release and put some raw video on the article. The additional cost to run a website in addition to a television news service would be next to nothing. The amount of staff 7 and 9 have to run their websites is minimal.

The lack of a decent, coherent online presence from Ten (definitely for their news, but to some extent overall) has been a problem for many years now.

By contrast, I’d say that the ABC & Nine have had strong online news presences for at least 20 years (by now, I’m sure almost everyone in the country with an internet connection uses or is at least aware of their sites) while Seven & SBS have are at least doing OK in that sphere these days.

1 Like

10 News has for sure missed the boat in having an online news op. But every year that goes by their news operation becomes more irrelevant by not having one. As the youngest skewing network - they stand to lose the most.

Really, if you don’t have the strategy or capital to have your news operation online in 2020 - it says a lot.

17 Likes

Agreed.

1 Like

10 have added a breaking news super on this social graphic.

1 Like

Some different looking social graphics, not really keeping in any style with what they’ve put out recently.

Interesting that they’ve credited two producers on the end slide and also in the post - I haven’t seen other new organizations do that.

6 Likes

Jennifer Keyte interrupted programming around 1.08pm (at least on 10 Melbourne) to take the Treasurer Josh Frydenberg’s press conference in Canberra. Around 1.35pm they switched over to the Gold Coast to take Gillon McLachlan’s announcement of the location of the 2020 AFL Grand Final. Jennifer wrapped things up just before 2 and then 10 went back to regular programming.

Did other states follow?

2 Likes

Potential graphics refresh come 14th Sep?

I don’t think so personally, none of this looks like it would work on broadcast. The colours and fonts all seem the same as what they currently use anyway.

One thing I’ve just noticed is the use of the stacked 10 News First logo which I don’t think they’ve used before - looks okay.

2 Likes

After all the people being made redundant, I hope not.

1 Like

Retiring this thread after five years and starting a new one here.

1 Like