Ten News First Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

10’s big news… set!

Network 10 has unveiled a new news set. Based in the atrium of 10’s Sydney headquarters, the set stretches 36m and features a 9m x 2.4m screen with a 1.5mm pixel pitch, the largest of its kind in the country.

The new set will be home to 10 News First , Studio 10 and Sports Tonight and used by other 10 assets such as The Loop , RPM and 10 Daily .

Network 10’s director of news content Ross Dagan said: “Delivering first-class news, information and discussion to audiences when and how they want it continues to be our most important focus. Our new set gives us the tools to do that in far more dynamic and contemporary ways.

“We have some of the best journalists, presenters and graphic designers here at 10. Now, coupled with our new news set, we can connect and engage with audiences more directly than ever before. From sitting behind a desk, to a couch discussion, to a panel setting to a stand-up introduction, the new set is flexible. We are able to instantly transform program segments and can deliver news and information in any scenario easily, depending on the need and topic.

“With the biggest news LED screen of this resolution, we’re also able to present higher-impact visuals and graphics to better tell the stories audiences care about.”

The set’s perimeter also includes five visual stripes, including a high-resolution ticker-type screen that can be fed with pictures and graphics to instantly change the theme or pass on breaking news information.

The new news set follows the rebrand of 10’s evening news program from Ten Eyewitness News to 10 News First , and the appointment of key journalists into key roles including Kerri-Anne Kennerley as Studio 10 presenter, Peter van Onselen as network political editor, Hugh Riminton as national affairs editor and Chris Bath as weekend news presenter.

10’s news assets have also seen audience increases:

• 10 News First has increased its commercial share by 0.5 points since its rebrand on 31 October.
  • 10 News First in Perth has lifted its weekend audience by 13 per cent since the launch of a special Perth bulletin.
  • Studio 10 has lifted its audience by 10 per cent since its fifth birthday on 8 November, 2018.
  • 10 Daily experienced its biggest month ever in January 2019.

Mr Dagan continued: “We’ve had some incredible momentum with our news assets over the last few months, which is really encouraging. The new set is an important milestone in our long term strategy and I’m really excited to be part of a team changing the way we deliver news and information to audiences.”

The new set was designed in partnership with the 10’s graphics team, led by David Bernstein and The Exposure Group’s Vi Hermens. The software driving the screens is Vizrt’s Multiplay.

The news sets in Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth will also be re-built reflecting the design of the new Sydney set.

View a time-lapse of the new set being built

10 Likes

It’s nice to see 10 adapting a nationwide set blueprint for all states, very exciting to see what the lite versions of the set will look in each capital city and how they will each differ!

Surely with Perth changing theirs putting the design on the same level of Nine News Perth, hopefully this makes Seven News Perth budge for an actual “set” :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Can’t wait! Who’s next?

6 Likes

I reckon if somebody posted that weather segment on You Tube it would go viral. I’ve never laughed out loud during a weather report before. At one point it looked like Tim was taking a dump in the ocean.

9 Likes

I was thinking the same thing :joy:

Not to mention him being out of breath running back and foraward and wildly gesticulating with his arms. Did he have to kiss the fucken picture of the fish? Ffs just present the westher. The graphics on the screen look great. They’ve got a great look for the weather but the gnome fucks it all up.

3 Likes

Gamers, who wants a 22m² 5400 x 1440 display? Comes with premium streaming equipment. Contact Ten.

2 Likes

…as opposed to the alternative programming (which in 2019 is really multichannel fodder IMO) that Ten have aired on Election nights in recent years?

It should go without saying but any credible news service needs to be on-air with full coverage of major events that affect their viewers like Elections - state or federal. As it’s already been pointed out by myself and others on this forum, 10 News First (along with Studio 10 & The Project) have a number of high profile presenters/reporters who’ve had some form of experience with elections/political coverage.

Maybe it wouldn’t be #1 in the ratings, or even #2. But I’m fairly sure there are plenty of people out there who’d prefer to watch Election Night coverage fronted by the likes of Sarah Harris, Joe Hildebrand, Sandra Sully, Hugh Riminton, Chris Bath, Peter van Onselen, Lisa Wilkinson & Waleed Aly (perhaps not all of them would be involved in Election Night coverage, but you get a general idea of the type of on-air talent at Ten who’d probably be really good at it) than some of the pundits the other networks will roll out.

3 Likes

Intriguing! A New York GMA like ticker would look unbelievable!

2 Likes

The set is incredible! Not yet sold on the desk, feels more Studio 10 than news bulletin. My only gripe with the set is that standing presentation makes the presenters tiny, set scale is just a touch too big.

Could they also be planning to move The Project to Sydney? It certainly wouldn’t look half bad coming from this set!

1 Like

What elements can be incorporated into the Melbourne set given the news studio at Como Building is so small?
10 needs to think about relocation to another Melbourne location in the long term.

1 Like

The problem with this is some of the states don’t have another studio to relocate to during construction (except Melbourne). Will be interesting to see what they do. Plenty of potential in Brisbane.

5 Likes

I’d imagine that Ten in the other markets will get smaller scale versions of the Sydney set. For example, there probably wouldn’t be a couch area.

Brisbane might be able to get away with a version of the set that’s at/near Sydney-sized but I don’t think the others will. Certainly not Adelaide & Perth.

3 Likes

With the time difference Perth may relocate to Sydney while they build it.

6 Likes

Since 10 have now said they will build sets based around the new design, then I guess Melbourne will do a office refurb to increase the studio size (that is, if they keep it on the same floor), otherwise they could return back to the old bigger studio used pre 2014 which I figure would be the ideal scenario.

That studio could then be used for other shows hosted from Melbourne given how versatile this set is.

5 Likes

Brisbane’s studio is nowhere near the same size, and half of it is used for things other than news…

I’d say the green screen is out of Brisbane.

2 Likes

Thank you CBS.

5 Likes

After seeing Sydney’s new set, Adelaide’s looks incredibly small. The image below is Ten Eyewitness News V1 but the footprint is basically the same as the present set.

I’d welcome Adelaide set upgrades in the style of Sydney’s but I don’t know how they’ll pull it off given the size constraints :thinking:

6 Likes

How old are the current Ten News sets (and the previous Sydney set)?
Only one I know for sure is Perth.
Much appreciated!!

Both studios are very small in Melbourne. Even The Project studio is small for its production.

Melbourne/Brisbane/Adelaide/Perth will most likely incorporate the desk set up, without the couch and 9m length screen.

As stated previously, ATV10 really does need a new location in Melbourne.

6 Likes